The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2002, 06:47 PM   #1
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Help! - Tilt steering column disassembly

I am overhauling my tilt steering colunm and am having difficulties getting the thing completely diassembled. I've got it all part except for the outer jacket, inner shift tube, and gear shift housing. How does this all come apart??? There is a "lock plate" that my manual says needs to be removed, but I don't see how it comes out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm about the beat the thing with a large sledge hammer

Thanks,

Jay
Old 08-25-2002, 07:02 PM   #2
Tim Christian

Smile

Fine69 should be able to help you out. He has rebuilt a lot of these columns.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:02 PM   #3
Als454

Question

I would like to know also. I reached the same point on mine, got frustrated and set it aside. Was hoping to take some of the slop out of it.
Short Wheel Base (Dually)
Als454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:12 PM   #4
Dandeluxe

tilt ?

talk to mike . aka{ fine 69 }he rebuilt mine and is a pro at it . i sent mine to him and he did it right. mike if you see this post thanks again for the tilt job. you r the man. thanks, DAN

1969 cst swb corvette hugger orange with 400 hp sbc

I started out with nothing and i held on to it
Dandeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:01 AM   #5
Zkast
Account Suspended

Would be easier to talk you through it via phone.. but ill try here.

You'll need to remove the lower bearing lock plate (spring clip) and slide the bearing out. Depending on how far you have it disassembled now, it sounds like all you need to do is push the shift tube out of the shift bowl. This takes some finese and a soft mallet. Tap the tube out of the shiftbowl as far as you can get it (flush) then finish it off by tapping on the lower shift lever at the base of the column. Careful though, when the tube comes out you will have a Bowl,wave washer,spacer ring and main column housing to catch.

O be sure to remove the bolt plate if you havnt already ( the part where the tilt bracket bolts to with 4 bolts.

Its a jigsaw puzzle but dont worry, there are plenty of ppl here that have done this, including myself, that can work through it with ya.

TIP: Dont forget to install the column dash grommet and the firewall gromment BEFORE putting the shift tube back in.

EDIT: I just noticed your from MO.. what part? Maybe you can run by KCK sometime and I'll help ya rebuild it. Always good to meet board members

Last edited by Zkast; 08-26-2002 at 12:03 AM.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:11 AM   #6
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

ZKast..... I finally got it apart. The manual I have said to remove that "lock plate" and then the shift housing, or bowl as you called it, would come right off. They forgot to mention the hammer part! What a pain in the a$$! The reason I wanted to get it all apart is so I can sand blast it and paint it all my turquiose body color.

Another question. The lower bearing sits in a plastic housing, which fits in the end of the column. When I pulled the bearing/housing out, the housing was in about three pieces. All the catalogs show the bearing, but I can't find anything that looks like the plasting housing. Is that piece actually part of the bearing itself, or is it serarate? Here's a pic....plastic piece is on the left.....

Sorry...... couldn't resist....... and it's late......

Last edited by Slammed67; 08-26-2002 at 12:23 AM.
Slammed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:25 AM   #7
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Zkast: I live in Raytown, MO (South Kansas City, but I'm sure you knew that!). I think I can get it back together...... not scratching the paint will be tricky though!