The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
1fast71

Arrow Interior Idea's anybody

well i bought a 71 c10 i like it but it needs some work but yeah since its winter and all ima start on interior b4 body and motor so anybody got any interior ideas for me im on a budget like small so do it yourself things are good lol i was thinkning new bench seat though like out of a 90's ford or chevy truck what do u guys think
1fast71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
jimmydean

Re: Interior Idea's anybody

I got my 60/40 bench out of a 90's Silverado. It was $50 on Craig's List and came with a center seat belt.

There are a lot of things you can do on the cheap.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
1fast71

yeah thanx that was what i was thinking i bought a new grant steering wheel for it and the adapter kit for 50bucks and i wanna paint the interior but not sure what color yet i planned on rattle canning it if u do it right it actully comes out nice
Old 01-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
jimmydean

I used a scotch brite pad to rough the paint and used a quality rattle can and it looks great.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
1fast71

thanx for the advice it really does help
Old 01-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I used fine steel wool.My interior was so dirty anything would have been better.I had some rust spots on the doors and wanted a color change too,but if I hadn't wanted a different color the steel wool and a wax job would have made the interior paint look almost new.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
1fast71

yeah my trucks got some rust areas but the paint is screwed to so yeah im goin color change but im not sure to what yet
Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
e rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
I got my 60/40 bench out of a 90's Silverado. It was $50 on Craig's List and came with a center seat belt.

There are a lot of things you can do on the cheap.

Do you have any pics of the install? I'm heading this direction SOON, but haven't had a chance to research mounting issues.

Thanks,
Eric
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #9
Aarons72s

I did my interior of my green and white gray like newer vehicles. I put vinyl on the whole dash. So now the whole dash is padded vinyl. I then sprayed duplicolor bed liner on the back wall and top of the cab. I then died the bedliner with gray die. I also did the door panels in gray and black. I got plastic window crank levers out of a 80's comaro. I still got to do the doors, and kick panles. I also plan to put in a gray cloth headliner to.
Attached Images

Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
lytemup454

How hard was the vinal to apply? Thats a cool idea that i never thought about. It looks cool.
lytemup454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #11
1fast71

the dash looks great and good idea bout the bedliner on ther roof im liking that
Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #12
Aarons72s

The vinyl turned out ok, could have been a little better but since it was my first time at appolstry not to bad has a couple of wrinkles in it but better than nasty old green dash. You will need a heat gun to help with the vinyl. The main dash is 3 pieces of viny. center of the cluster and left, center of cluster to center of glove box, center of glove box to passenger door. Then there is a piece that covers the top of the dash. If you do this dont worry about cutting the vent out for the speaker in the dash. The speaker sounds just the same as without being covered. I used the 3m apolstry adhesive in the spray bomb to adheare it to the dash. It has been on since march of 06. I did the glove box first. Good practice if you mess up, I know I messed up a couple of times.

The bedliner looks just like the textured part of the cluster. And once died looks just like the plastic that covers newer trucks. I just sanded it with 220 and scotch brite, self etch primer( dupli color ratle can), spray on bed liner (dupli color ratle can) and then while it was still tacky sprayed it with gray vinyl die. If I had to do it over again I would probably try and find the die sealer and spray over it as sometimes it scratches. But like I said still better than before. If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to help. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
1fast71

sounds like fun to me
Old 01-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
jimmydean

I am very temped to continue on the ghetto theme my truck has begun. It wasn't my intention when I bought it, but this project has taken on a mind of it's own.

I was going to use vinyl for the dash, but since I have to section the dash pad so the 7" monitor will clear, I decided to use a patterned crushed velvet. There is a flea market one town over that has the cool velvet all the lowriders use, so I am going to use that for my dash/doors/headliner, then just use the standard carpet for the kick panels.

It's easy to work with, cost affective and I can get it by the metric ton. I am using all black, so it's basic. I am still playing with the idea of carbon fiber accents, so that makes it even more interesting.

Worst case scenario is the homies will enjoy it.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
1fast71

what about colors my interior is orange and dont look to bad but i was wondering what about all black or orange and black or totaly diff color i like white to what do u guys think looks good?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
boogie67

Dupli color[Bahama blue],vinal contact paper and a scuff pad is what I used.Like you Im on a budget the most expensive was the seat.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

i was wondering has anyone ever tried to cover the door panel ('72) with a fabric (glue on)? i was wanting to redo my interior as well & thought about just getting a fabric that will match my interior & just covering the exist. door panel? no pading or anything. any thoughts on this idea??

thanks!!
rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
widow_maker
This space for lease

My door panels are covered with a fabric - glued right over the existing door panel. I didn't do the work. The panels were already covered when I bought the truck. Someday, I will likely change them back to the original panels if I can find a set in good condition as well as recover the seat to a factory finish. In the meantime, the door panels look good and function well. If your door panels were in poor condition this is definately a low buck option to freshen them up. The headliner in my cab is also the same material. It has several ripples in it and generally looks bad. I think the new headliner material was applied over the original headliner. It likely would have been better to cover a dense cardboard - something solid for the material to bond to than to cover the old vinyl. One of these days, when the $$$ isn't going to pay for everything else, I'll change it.

These photos are some that I had in my computer. They don't look straight at the door panel but you can get an idea of what it looks like. If you want, I can take a photo straight on to show the panel better.
Attached Images

1972 K-20 l/f 383/350 a/c "custom camper"
1987 V-20 l/f Silverado - project

Last edited by widow_maker; 01-24-2007 at 07:33 PM.
widow_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #19
65-72 chevytoys

Here is a photo of a vinyl covered dash and door panels. You can also do the headliner to match in a truck. This is the plan for my blazer.
Attached Images

2004 Corvette Z16 #770
Wish I had not sold 72 blazer
65-72 chevytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #20
Aarons72s

Widow maker you could try and peal the fabric off then clean the panels with adhessive remover. The 3m stuff works pretty good on that stuff. You may want to give it a shot. I think they do look pretty cool. I was thinking of getting some of the old wood grain inserts for the door panels and covering them in fabric but only time will tell if I do that.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #21
magsnubby

I painted the inside of my '71 smoke gray (Rust-oleum), used a swap meet wood grain steering wheel and a Sun tach i stole from my son's Mustang (mounted where the factory tach would go). I bought new carpet and floor mats then went to a carpet store, bought some dark gray carpet and covered the doors and the top of the dash, kick panels and made a headliner. I bought a horse blanket seat cover from Pep Boys. I mounted the 6x9 speakers in the doors and painted the covers dark gray so they blended into the door panels. I used a some pinstripping decals (two shades of blue) from Pep Boys. I used a tilt (free) from a '77 El Camino. I only spent maybe $200 on the whole interior(not counting the speakers).

Last edited by magsnubby; 01-25-2007 at 01:41 AM.
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #22
bowtiebreece

I painter my dash with black appliance paint out of a rattle can from home depot. I think it was an epoxy paint. it cleans easily and stays glossy
bowtiebreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #23
widow_maker
This space for lease

Aarons72s - I could peel the fabric but no telling what condition the door panels are in underneath the fabric. I may as well just leave them covered and in the future, use them on another project or sell them. When the time comes, and the money comes, I'll find a good clean set and replace them.

1972 K-20 l/f 383/350 a/c "custom camper"
1987 V-20 l/f Silverado - project
widow_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #24
agronomya

Hey magsnubby, do you have any pics of your interior?

1969 Chevy LWB-SDPC 350, TH400, old farm truck
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/agronomya/

2006 Nissan Altima-For my 2000 miles a month

Last edited by agronomya; 01-25-2007 at 02:55 PM.
agronomya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #25
1fast71

wow u guys thanx for all the informaition its coming in real handy i jus made a new addition to my rear view mirror i used a drimal to engrave 71 chevy on there and it turned out great as soon as i get my camera fixed ill put some pics up