The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
synapse

Couple 75 Questions

So I am in the progress of saving my new 75 short stepper from what was certain to be a one way trip to the junkyard, or as I am calling the project "recycling". I have a few questions, one difficult, one simple.

1: The Motor
The truck had been "rebuilt" about 6 years ago or so the previous owner claims and only driven about 4,000 miles. It then basically sat for 5 years which from the looks of when I got it dry rotted all the seals, on everything.
When I got it it was leaking from everywhere. Engine, Tranny, Rear End, Steering, you name it. Over the 3 months I have had it, I have basically replaced every seal in the motor, tranny, rear end and steering. So now its running good and it even passed emissions better than my 2000 Xterra did. The problem is that there is some "ticking" or "pinging" from the valve train when its under load, my mechanic checked it out, adjusted the valves and it has seemed to help a little, but he basically told me I should think about replacing the cam and lifters because they look worn.

So heres my question, I am looking at Crane Cams Kits, but have no idea which one I need. I am looking to add a little power to the truck, but I don't think I can go to crazy because of Arizona's emissions testing.
I currently have a new Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carb on the way, both of which are EGR equipped. So those are AZ emissions legal. I just need to know far I can go with a cam with the stock heads. Also should I just go ahead and replace the vavles, pushrods and rockers while I am at it? I would just get some aluminum heads, but they are a little out of the price range to put into a $900 truck that needs a ton of other TLC.

Any suggestions as to what cam kit I should look for along with what valves, pushrods and rockers would match up would be greatly appreciated.

2: Tires and Wheels:
The tires are also dry rotted, they hold air, but should be replaced. I figure while I am at it, I might as well replace the wheels. My question is what ones will fit. The truck is a 5 lug truck, what bolt pattern is it? I have searched and searched and found some places that say 5 on 5.5 and some that say 5 on 5. And clarification would be helpful.

That about does it. I am excited to be working on a project car again, growing up I had nothing but GM muscle and now that I got another I relize how much I miss my 84 Hurst/Olds 442 and my 79 Trans Am Bandit. I figure with the prices of muscle cars being rediculous, I can build a "Muscle Truck" outta what was someone elses junk.
synapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
82c10
needin' money

Re: Couple 75 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
So I am in the progress of saving my new 75 short stepper from what was certain to be a one way trip to the junkyard, or as I am calling the project "recycling". I have a few questions, one difficult, one simple.

1: The Motor
The truck had been "rebuilt" about 6 years ago or so the previous owner claims and only driven about 4,000 miles. It then basically sat for 5 years which from the looks of when I got it dry rotted all the seals, on everything.
When I got it it was leaking from everywhere. Engine, Tranny, Rear End, Steering, you name it. Over the 3 months I have had it, I have basically replaced every seal in the motor, tranny, rear end and steering. So now its running good and it even passed emissions better than my 2000 Xterra did. The problem is that there is some "ticking" or "pinging" from the valve train when its under load, my mechanic checked it out, adjusted the valves and it has seemed to help a little, but he basically told me I should think about replacing the cam and lifters because they look worn.

So heres my question, I am looking at Crane Cams Kits, but have no idea which one I need. I am looking to add a little power to the truck, but I don't think I can go to crazy because of Arizona's emissions testing.
I currently have a new Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carb on the way, both of which are EGR equipped. So those are AZ emissions legal. I just need to know far I can go with a cam with the stock heads. Also should I just go ahead and replace the vavles, pushrods and rockers while I am at it? I would just get some aluminum heads, but they are a little out of the price range to put into a $900 truck that needs a ton of other TLC.

Any suggestions as to what cam kit I should look for along with what valves, pushrods and rockers would match up would be greatly appreciated.

2: Tires and Wheels:
The tires are also dry rotted, they hold air, but should be replaced. I figure while I am at it, I might as well replace the wheels. My question is what ones will fit. The truck is a 5 lug truck, what bolt pattern is it? I have searched and searched and found some places that say 5 on 5.5 and some that say 5 on 5. And clarification would be helpful.

That about does it. I am excited to be working on a project car again, growing up I had nothing but GM muscle and now that I got another I relize how much I miss my 84 Hurst/Olds 442 and my 79 Trans Am Bandit. I figure with the prices of muscle cars being rediculous, I can build a "Muscle Truck" outta what was someone elses junk.
#1 mixed feelings
#2 5x5
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Eyegore
What Hump?

fellow zonie & phoenician. You may be safe after march, there is a proposal before the legislature to exempt 25 year old and older vehicles from emmission testing so you may have no trouble at all. However i cannot answer which cam to use, I know I have trouble just getting my 86 through, my 78 w/ the 454 always does well but the motor has only about 12k miles on it.

As to your tires and wheels check craigslist for phoenix, I have been watching it closely and seen over the past few weeks several tire wheel combos - after market wheels from anywhere 300 to 800.

What part of phoenix are you located?

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
synapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegore View Post
fellow zonie & phoenician. You may be safe after march, there is a proposal before the legislature to exempt 25 year old and older vehicles from emmission testing so you may have no trouble at all. However i cannot answer which cam to use, I know I have trouble just getting my 86 through, my 78 w/ the 454 always does well but the motor has only about 12k miles on it.

As to your tires and wheels check craigslist for phoenix, I have been watching it closely and seen over the past few weeks several tire wheel combos - after market wheels from anywhere 300 to 800.

What part of phoenix are you located?

Tom
Yeah, I saw that they passed the intial part of that bill in 2003, but its been sitting ever since. I just moved here in June, another midwest transplant. Seems thats 60% of people out here. I am in South Phoenix, off Baseline at the base of South Mountain. If you ever see a beat up orange 75 stepper its probably me, I have only seen 1 other orange one around here.

As for the wheels I am just going to grab 5 new 17" Cragar Soft 8's from SummitRacing, they are only $55 each and I want black rims
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
84 400
Sb 400 club

Welcome to the board!! we love pics by the way...... Sorry i can't be too much help on the drive train but i 2cond the Cl search. Great local deals can be had useing cregslist

the soft 8's are a great choice and will look nice on your orange truck
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out

Last edited by 84 400; 01-24-2007 at 03:48 PM.
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Eyegore
What Hump?

check with discount tire first, sometimes they can beat most others and i'll watch for that orange stepper, just watch out for a yellow & beige camper special, that be me!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
synapse

Heres a couple picks of the "Bomber" as its been named. The interior was/is a complete loss. I just rewired the dash last weekend and put in a new set of gauges since none of it worked, no gauges, no interior lights, no reverse lights, no turn signals. The steering column is next, this one has alot of play in it. I have one sitting in my garage, but still need a new steering wheel, thats the next step. Once the mechanicals are taken care of and the truck is "safe" to drive, then I will be moving on to sanding the interior floor pans down where there is a little surface rust from under the old carpet, but thats it for rust on the cab. The doors need to be replaced, as do the front and rear fenders. I found a pair of rear fenders from a 78 Big10 that had been removed when the truck was delivered in 78 for a utility bed to be put on. They have been sitting since and are in mint condition, no rust, no dents, great for $100!

The interior is going to be custom. Bucket seats outta who knows what, custom fiberglass audio box/console behind and between the seats, probably 2 10" subs, possible 2 12"s depending on space left between the seats. Custom door panels, kick plates and headliner. Going for a sleek look, but going to try to keep it a little Punk Rock Also the truck is going to have a 5/7 drop done to it along the way.

I am not looking to make this thing a show truck, if anything more of a rat rod, rebuilt from found parts where possible. In my mind thats what gives a car "soul". I figure it'll take a year to do, but it'll be fun.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
84 400
Sb 400 club

ohh that truck... HAHAHA it looks like a great start and i love the direction your headed in. should be a killer driver when done
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Eyegore
What Hump?

Again check cl, seen a steering column on there, tilt for 100, also a whole front clip, and some guy has a 76 3/4 ton with a pretty good looking clip that he may part out. Nice truck to start with.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
bigpig72CST

If you are looking at going with a Crane kit, I would just call them. They will ask you what you want to use it for, how stock the rest of the motor is, and they will make recommendations on what they feel is the right cam for you. I have done this before and been very happy with them.
bigpig72CST is offline   Reply With Quote