The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
nevada70chev

Need: Garage/Shop Set Pics & Info?

My garage is 3 car attached 20x30. It is stud and open rafters. I need some ideas of getting it into the best "man room" as my wife call it. I was thinking, separate/upgrade electrical 220v for welder, shop ceilingheater, plumb for air, lighting, some way to setup for painting, any other ideas and pics are very helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
bobthecop

Re: Need: Garage/Shop Set Pics & Info?

Ck out this site http://www.garagejournal.com/ great ideas
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 01-26-2007 at 02:37 PM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
bryanw1968

Put a shop sink in for sure.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
jpkerley

Keep Me Updated On Your Progress, I Am Pouring My Slab The Beginning Of March, Mine Will Be 30x32 Downstairs
jpkerley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Bathroom with a shower.It will keep the peace when you don't track grease into the kitchen.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
nevada70chev

any pics of garages or shops done? what is everyone doing for the floor? thanks.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
BarryB

Well I would send you a pic of my garage, but it is lost in all the parts and cludder I have out there what once called a garage. My Neighbors has a nice garage. But will you believe they actually park the daily drivers inside eveynight. The nerve.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #8
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada70chev View Post
My garage is 3 car attached 20x30. It is stud and open rafters. I need some ideas of getting it into the best "man room" as my wife call it. I was thinking, separate/upgrade electrical 220v for welder, shop ceilingheater, plumb for air, lighting, some way to setup for painting, any other ideas and pics are very helpful. Thanks.
Well, if you can't embarass yourself in front of your (virtual) friends, who can you embarass yourself in front of? So I went and took a couple pictures of my shop in full disaster mode to make a few points from my design.

I had a couple of rules, and learned a couple of things:
  • It's all about floor space. Make space OUTSIDE of the garage for everything you can.
  • Everything inside is on wheels.
  • Shelves. Not cheezy, cheap shelves but some serious ones. The one in my shop can hold 600# per rack - and were fairly cheap.
  • Usually one of the biggest problems is depth vs. width...so think hard about anything in the front of the garage.
  • When the house/garage was built, I had outlets put in 1/2 up the wall every 4'; if I had to do again I would have put them lower.
  • I had 2 220's put in - one for my compressor in the corner, one on the far wall for my welder.
  • I just put down the Rustoleum epoxy paint this summer, and I"m impressed - it's held up great. Two coats though...I'm putting my 2nd down this summer. Surface prep is critical.
  • Definitely want a sink and parts washer - ideally right next to each other.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. I'm in the middle of building a shed to get the lawn stuff and bikes out of my shop, and the portable workbench and junk is going to a friend as soon as he gets his lazy a...I mean, as soon as he can come to get it.

The first picture is my shorter stall. My '69 Vette project is here, and my compressor is in the back corner with my sandblaster right next to it. My shopvac and heater store between the blaster and the compressor...which means it's easy to hook the vac to the blaster to keep things clean while blasting. LOTS of shelves on that side. My hoist fits neatly between the garage doors. Virtually all of the junk in the middle will disappear next month.

The second picture is my double stall and primary work area. In the front is a freezer on a stand to turn it sideways so the door doesn't reduce my depth. Next to it is my sink and parts washer. The workbench sticks out only 4" wider than the garage door opening. Engines, jacks, parts, etc. along this wall and a roller for my tools. Again, lots of shelves

Hope this helps; no comments about cleaning up the shop ;-)
Attached Images

Last edited by Billla; 01-27-2007 at 12:36 AM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
Rick Mills

Definitely pick up a microwave & fridge. Believe me when I say it comes in handy when you get sent to the garage by the wife.
Wife - Original {A Real Classic!}
Rick Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:16 AM   #10
nevada70chev

thanks for the replies. billla-yes, placement & shop flow with complimenting tools is key. is your garage 20x32? i think for a heater i will do one of the overhead shop heater, a couple of the other board members have them that live close (frost89434 & blue4x4) i got concrete space on the side of house that i can store a parts or project-in-waiting. do you have air outlets built into the walls? thanks, more pics.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
thanks for the replies. billla-yes, placement & shop flow with complimenting tools is key. is your garage 20x32? i think for a heater i will do one of the overhead shop heater, a couple of the other board members have them that live close (frost89434 & blue4x4) i got concrete space on the side of house that i can store a parts or project-in-waiting. do you have air outlets built into the walls? thanks, more pics.
Yes, 20x32. I'd love to do an overhead heater at some point but I find the torpedo heater with a thermostat does pretty well here in Seattle. No air outlets in the walls yet; I'm waiting to buy my wall-mounted filter and then I'll run pipe.

Happy to take more pics - tell me what you want and I'll snap 'em Installing headers and a new carb today and doing some clean-up ;-)
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
RustyParts

Here's what I did for the wifes woodshop which adjoins my shop. I had to build a wall between the two to keep her wood dust out of my side and the exhaust fumes out of her side.

Both shops are identical (24' x 24') and we share the same air compressor so I had to plumb for that.
Attached Images

RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Rustyparts: VERY cool garage.

One note: the paper face on insulation is even more flammable than paper by itself, since it's coated on the backside (to stick the insulation to it) with an tar-based glue (petroleum product). So: no sparks on the insulation !!!! Sparks may = no more garage & projects.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
RustyParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Rustyparts: VERY cool garage.

One note: the paper face on insulation is even more flammable than paper by itself, since it's coated on the backside (to stick the insulation to it) with an tar-based glue (petroleum product). So: no sparks on the insulation !!!! Sparks may = no more garage & projects.
I'll tell you something that scares me more than the insulation, my wife smokes like a freight train and even though she has some dust collection equipment I'm afraid she going to light one up one day and KABOOM, no more shops.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
nevada70chev

thanks again for the replies and input. Rusty-how did you plumb for air? was it done in the walls or outside of the walls? BTW, how tall are your ceilings? Where are you placing the compressor units? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
Ram-Man

Not the whole garage but one side. Heat, AC, 24 flourescent lights, 2 100 amp services 1 for heat and 1 general service, bathroom and sink. Nice place to get away on the cold winter days.
Attached Images

Ram-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
nevada70chev

ram-mam, how big is your garage? is it attached to the house? thanks for the pic. just want to do it right the first time, what a concept.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #18
Ram-Man

Quote:
ram-mam, how big is your garage? is it attached to the house? thanks for the pic. just want to do it right the first time, what a concept.
It's 24' x 30' detached. Not huge but we have an attached garage that my wife and I park in. So this one is for my projects and hobbies.
Ram-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
RustyParts

Quote:
thanks again for the replies and input. Rusty-how did you plumb for air? was it done in the walls or outside of the walls? BTW, how tall are your ceilings? Where are you placing the compressor units? Thanks.
The Compressor is in the woodworking shop and plumbed with 1/2" pipe from the compressor up through the ceiling and across to my side and back down the wall on the outside. Strainers and water traps are plumbed in also in both shops.

The wifes shop has 8' ceilings and my side has 10' ceilings.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
Black 95 TSI

You can even walk in my garage its soo full, I put my compresser out side in its own house off the back of the garage, its quiter that way, Deffenty get a fridge gotta have beer while you work, amd dont forget a tv and sterro, and phone, never know when you need to order dinner for a long night working ont he truck
Black 95 TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #21
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

26x36 with a 18 foot workbench. Home made wood stove but next time i will go with a tube heater. Fridge a must, gotta have beer. Bar stools to sit and bench race, TV/DVD/Tunes in case you want to watch a game, or in case your buddy comes over and he smokes and theres "no smoking" in the house. "yes dear"

Note: The bigger you build it the more cr@p you have so its a no win either way. I need to have a garage sale and make a trip to my buddys, One mans garbage is anothers treasure
Attached Images

1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #22
Black 95 TSI

Smile Re: Need: Garage/Shop Set Pics & Info?

If i can ever get my garage cleaned out i can install the lift thats sitting in the cornor its nice having a 15 foot roof on the garage
Black 95 TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #23
BCOWANWHEELS

iwant to build a pit in my shop. anybody got any pic,s of pits ? i work on semi trucks alot.
bob
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #24
nevada70chev

lots of good feedback, thanks guys. i will setup wiring for speaks (built-in) and also for tv, telephone, computer is wireless. more pics, gotta love it. thanks.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #25
nevada70chev

I appreciate the advice, comment & pics. What type of equipment do you have in you garages & shops? What do you wish had? What did you buy that you don't use? Also what about lift equipment? Thanks again.