The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
OhNoJoe

292 inline six accessories, power steering, A/C and HEI distributor

Hey,
I’m new here and have been lurking for a while.

I have a 63 C-10 fleetside, my DD and a rusty ugly puppy of a truck., which I love.

I also have a 72 burb that is pretty but weak. I’m going to start a rebuild on the burb’s 292 inline six.

A friend of mine rebuilt the 250 in the 63. While I helped, I’m not a professional mechanic. So I’m hoping the 292 rebuild is going to be an adventure rather than a nightmare.

I’m trying to get my ducks in a row before I tear into the burb. I want to add A/C, HEI distributor and power steering to the burb.

I got the power steering pump and a bracket that holds the alternator up high and the pump runs off of the alternator, rebuilt steering box. I’m still missing the pitman arm and the other steering components. I have the part numbers but no money. Those items will come as money permits.

I got the correct A/C bracket but that is it.

I have not gotten the HEI yet.

I was hoping to get a little guidance with the following:

When looking at the front of the engine there is space for one more belt. I can’t find a good write up of the 292 for me to figure out if I can just add the compressor and throw a belt on the pulley or do I have to choose between power steering and A/C. Any thoughts?

I know that the stock distributor will allow the condenser to be mounted right above the distributor. (I got pictures of that) I’m pretty sure that a HEI distributor will not fit unless I can find one with a remote coil. I thought I saw one that may work a few months ago but alas I didn’t book mark the page. I would like to get a new one because of the reliability issues with using a 30 year old part. Any thoughts?

I’m really needing to add A/C because it does get hot here in central Illinois. I know that folks refer to an A/C cab. I’m assuming that the firewall is different between an A/C cab and a non A/C cab but I can’t seem to be able to figure out the difference. Is there a difference in the fire wall or is it the dash with the vent holes or what? I would like to try to find a good used A/C unit rather than paying over 1K for a Vintage Air or Old Air. Will a used stock A/C unit work without much of a hassle?

Thanks in Advance
Joe

I do have some pictures if any one is interested.
OhNoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
TP from Cntl PA

Re: 292 inline six accessories, power steering, A/C and HEI distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoJoe View Post
Hey,
I’m new here and have been lurking for a while.

I have a 63 C-10 fleetside, my DD and a rusty ugly puppy of a truck., which I love.

I also have a 72 burb that is pretty but weak. I’m going to start a rebuild on the burb’s 292 inline six.

A friend of mine rebuilt the 250 in the 63. While I helped, I’m not a professional mechanic. So I’m hoping the 292 rebuild is going to be an adventure rather than a nightmare.

I’m trying to get my ducks in a row before I tear into the burb. I want to add A/C, HEI distributor and power steering to the burb.

I got the power steering pump and a bracket that holds the alternator up high and the pump runs off of the alternator, rebuilt steering box. I’m still missing the pitman arm and the other steering components. I have the part numbers but no money. Those items will come as money permits.

I got the correct A/C bracket but that is it.

I have not gotten the HEI yet.

I was hoping to get a little guidance with the following:

When looking at the front of the engine there is space for one more belt. I can’t find a good write up of the 292 for me to figure out if I can just add the compressor and throw a belt on the pulley or do I have to choose between power steering and A/C. Any thoughts?

I know that the stock distributor will allow the condenser to be mounted right above the distributor. (I got pictures of that) I’m pretty sure that a HEI distributor will not fit unless I can find one with a remote coil. I thought I saw one that may work a few months ago but alas I didn’t book mark the page. I would like to get a new one because of the reliability issues with using a 30 year old part. Any thoughts?

I’m really needing to add A/C because it does get hot here in central Illinois. I know that folks refer to an A/C cab. I’m assuming that the firewall is different between an A/C cab and a non A/C cab but I can’t seem to be able to figure out the difference. Is there a difference in the fire wall or is it the dash with the vent holes or what? I would like to try to find a good used A/C unit rather than paying over 1K for a Vintage Air or Old Air. Will a used stock A/C unit work without much of a hassle?

Thanks in Advance
Joe

I do have some pictures if any one is interested.
Someone on here had a really nicely restore chassis with a 250 and those items on it..............Don't recall who it was but it looked better than new in the pictures!

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote