The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
jlaird

measuring for shocks

How do you measure for shocks on a bagged truck? Is it as simple as measuring your total suspension travel and getting the appropriate shock that will work within those specs?

Then when you install the shock, do you want the shock to go to its limit before the bag can fully inflate (acting like a limiter for the bag).

And I'm guessing you want the bag to fully deflate before the shock bottoms out?

I need some schoolin here!

josh
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: measuring for shocks

Sounds to me like you know it already!

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
BigShoe24
True Addiction

Thnaks for the how to josh. That sound help me in mounting my shocks.
BigShoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
jlaird

Thanks, I must of learned that by osmosis from being on these boards...
Old 01-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
bagged69c10
soon to be bagged64sub

Does anybody have any suggestions on some shocks that have the most amount of travel?
1993 Sierra x-cab
1999 tahoe-4/5 on 22s
2005 Chevy work truck
bagged69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
thekid54

I don't have the part# with me, but I'm going to use some Monroes that have about 8" of travel. They were easy to find and were only $40 for the pair. Not sure how much travel you're looking for, but those worked for me. Monroe has really useful tech sheets in pdf form on their website that have the min/max heights and mounting type of all their shocks. Once you know what type of mounts you have top and bottom you can go through the tech sheets and look for some that have the min/max you're looking for.

Last edited by thekid54; 01-30-2007 at 04:13 PM.
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
jlaird

Ok, I just took some measurements on my truck. I can't seem to find anything in the Monroe tech sheets. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. My ideal shock lenght from eyelet to eyelet would be 13". Then I need compressed height to be 9.5" or slightly less and I need the extended height to be 18.5" at most.

Does this sound right? I could go with a longer shock, like 14", then compressed height would need to be about 10.5 and extended 19.5"

any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
talonted1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Ok, I just took some measurements on my truck. I can't seem to find anything in the Monroe tech sheets. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. My ideal shock lenght from eyelet to eyelet would be 13". Then I need compressed height to be 9.5" or slightly less and I need the extended height to be 18.5" at most.

Does this sound right? I could go with a longer shock, like 14", then compressed height would need to be about 10.5 and extended 19.5"

any suggestions?
We used to run shocks from a 60 something VW bettle on the trucks we bagged. They compress and extend pretty far not sure exactly how much and they dont cost that much.
73 Plymouth Valiant
talonted1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
thekid54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post

any suggestions?
What type of mounts were you looking for, L1 I presume? Have you made your shock mouts yet, or can you fab them to fit a shock that gives you ample drop and lift?

If you do happen to find something that might work, double check the compressed and extended heights before you buy. The shock I had picked out for my rear was perfect. Plenty of drop and plenty of lift. Turns out the specs listed were way off! It was supposed to be 12" compressed and 19" extended, but it was really 14" compressed and 23" extended. Needless to say I was a bit stunned when the fram wouldn't go all the way down to the ground when I dumped my rear bags!

Last edited by thekid54; 03-01-2007 at 12:56 AM.
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
jlaird

I am building my own shock mounts. I ended up getting Doetsch tech shocks. I've always heard nothing but good things about them and they aren't super expensive. I got part #M4095G. 18.25" extended, 11.35" compressed.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #11
jlaird

Ok, something just occured to me, but I'm not sure it is a big deal. I'm running a panhard bar so there is a bit of movement side to side of the axle from full dump to full extension. I havent measured how much yet, but it's probably like half an inch, maybe a little more. Anyway, I'm wondering about the lower shock mounts. I was going to fab just some regular mounts (I'm not sure what they are called) but now i'm wondering if I should use the stud style lower mount because of the side to side movement. A picture is probably in order here, but maybe some of you guys will understand what I'm talking about.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

I'm not too sure of your setup,but mine is a c notch with bags in spring location,and panhard mounted in stock location on frame and rh trailing arm.My side to side travel is no more than 5/16".I'm using stock shock mounts and there doesn't seem to be any issues as it travels through it's range.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote