The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Headers installed with pics!

I broke down and got my Thorley's installed at a shop yesterday. I have other things pending their installation, so I went ahead and had it done.

I have to say, the fit was pretty dang good. I am glad I wasn't the one trying to tighten the very back bolts 1/8 turn at a time from the bottom! The y-pipe exit is a little close to the x-fer case crossmember, but no real issues. The pipe clears the driveshaft for the lift great and still stays tucked up nice.

The SOTP dyno showed definite gain. Off idle, there was definitely more there, which I wasn't necessarily expecting. The truck pulls much harder without question. I know people question headers sometimes, especially on stock motors but there were gains there no question.

Come to find out the pass side exh manifold was cracked all of the way around and was on it's last leg! That helped justify the new exhaust.

My only problem now that I noticed this morning is the transmission shifter won't shift past OD, so the shift linkage must be obstructed somehow. Bummer. I will need to look into that, but it's snowing so that is a deterrent...

redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Re: Headers installed with pics!

Well, dang. Only took me one second to realize the problem with the shifter... The damn y-pipe runs directly below the shift linkage and the shifter arm is physically hitting the pipe on anything past OD. Looks like I will have to shorten the arm on the shift linkage and redrill a hole for the shift rod and readjust it all up... Damnit!!!

God dang aftermarket parts... ALWAYS. Not a note about it in the directions of course. I put a call into Thorley just to see what they say.

If you look at my first picture and the shift linkage, you will see EXACTLY what I am talking about.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Damn! Also noticed that the clamp on heat riser tube isn't supplying enough heat to open the preheater valve fully, at least when the outside temperature is in the 30s. It isn't opening at all as a matter of fact. No biggie, I just thread a screw through the air cleaner inlet housing to hold the valve open. Easy enough to close off during inspection.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

on the headers and the back screw.

when i was trying to put headers on my chevelle an old friend showed me a trick to the problem to the tight space. he took the 7/16 wrench and broke it in have and said hear u go no it should be easy. And damnit if it wasnt.

Just thought id throw that out there
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz 1970 K5 View Post
Well, dang. Only took me one second to realize the problem with the shifter... The damn y-pipe runs directly below the shift linkage and the shifter arm is physically hitting the pipe on anything past OD. Looks like I will have to shorten the arm on the shift linkage and redrill a hole for the shift rod and readjust it all up...
They look good aside from the issues you're having. But, won't modifying the arm affect the gear selector indicator on the steering column/dash?

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Duro5341

Very nice.....

Got anymore pics?

I want headers for my 86K10....specially around, and the routing around the transfer case, and cross member

Thanks
Duro
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
They look good aside from the issues you're having. But, won't modifying the arm affect the gear selector indicator on the steering column/dash?
It is going to have to be a combination of shortening the lower linkage arm and either adjusting or cutting down the shift rod as well... I am sure I can get it to line up with the gear selector indicator if I do it right.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #8
84slopwaggin

Did you have to modify the smog equipment to work with the headers? I just removed the smog equipment from mine and plan on adding headers later in Feb.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
84 400
Sb 400 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
on the headers and the back screw.

when i was trying to put headers on my chevelle an old friend showed me a trick to the problem to the tight space. he took the 7/16 wrench and broke it in have and said hear u go no it should be easy. And damnit if it wasnt.

Just thought id throw that out there

yeah i have made my own tools or modified them any way. That sounds like it would work well.

Good luck solving those problems!! ahh the price you pay in the name of power
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
... But, won't modifying the arm affect the gear selector indicator on the steering column/dash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz 1970 K5 View Post
It is going to have to be a combination of shortening the lower linkage arm and either adjusting or cutting down the shift rod as well... I am sure I can get it to line up with the gear selector indicator if I do it right.
I may be off base, redz...
But, I was thinking that if you shorten the arm, the pivoting motion would change causing the sweeping motion of the gear shift indicator to be mis-aligned with the 'PNRD321' lettering. But, then again, maybe a slight mod wouldn't affect it.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #11
HOGDADDY

I have thorley 300y on my 86 c10 with 700r4 with no issues but yours may be different.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote