The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2002, 05:07 PM   #1
muscletruck

Spools Vs Locker or Posi

Ok...SO i was looking through the Jegs and Summit Catalog and i notice that Spools and Posi Units have a severly different price...Spools were much cheaper and they seem to be stronger...Are spools dangerous on the street?... I DONT GET IT!! IF there is no difference... Spools seem the way to go...no clutches to replace or maintain...theres gotta be a catch..thanks all

78 Crew Cab Dually
454/TH400, Dual Flows, Edelbrock Intake, Cam, Lifters, Billet Grill, K&N Airfilter, Grant Steering Wheel, A/C, soon to be power windows and locks, lots of plans for this...

....gas prices go down please
muscletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:26 PM   #2
ebfabman

Spools are not for street use. They keep the wheels locked together. This means when you turn, both wheels will be turning as if they are in a straight line, no compensation for the smaller arc of the inside wheel. The result is a squeeling of the tires every time you turn. Thats unnecessary wear on the axels as well.

A locker locks both wheels when power is applied. Still not really a street piece.

You need a posi designed for street use,IMO.

Last edited by ebfabman; 08-26-2002 at 05:29 PM.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:29 PM   #3
muscletruck

I LOVE THIS BOARD.....I POST IT........5 Minutes LATER.....BAM! got the answer...thanx fabman

78 Crew Cab Dually
454/TH400, Dual Flows, Edelbrock Intake, Cam, Lifters, Billet Grill, K&N Airfilter, Grant Steering Wheel, A/C, soon to be power windows and locks, lots of plans for this...

....gas prices go down please
muscletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:38 PM   #4
Michael A. K. G

An "automatic" locker can be used on the street, but they are kind of noisy, and they don't always do what you want (consider a hard curve where the outside drive wheel starts to squeal). An air locker can be disengaged on the street and engaged when desired (do NOT engage one on dry pavement). A spool is just like a permanently locked locker, and is strictly for off-road.

But a Posi is just about perfect for pavement, and occasional slippery situations (like snow/ice, or gravel).

With a locker or spool, there is no designed "breakaway." If the tires are really stuck and you push it hard enough, the axle will break. With a Posi, the clutch disks just give, as in a normal turn.

I have a Posi on my offroad truck, a Bronco II. It works far better than one would expect, even in deep sand. As for most Bronco IIs, the front diff is open. And it also works nicely on pavement (not in 4x4, though -- Bronco IIs have very simple 4x4 systems that do not take well to pavement).

All traction-responsive differentials have behaviors under slipping that have to be understood and compensated for. Especially, if one rear tire is slipping and the other is not, the vehicle will attempt to center the tire with traction. This means the rear end is going to swing wide.
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:14 PM   #5
Canada20

So would a posi be safer for winter driving? I've heard of problems with directional stability with lockers but I wonder if posi's would give the stability of an open diff but some of the traction of a locker when you need it like at a stoplight or starting up a hill.

Greg
Canada20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:32 PM   #6
COBALT

My detroit locker is great. I have a lot of good traction, and drive my truck daily. There's sometimes a little noise, but rarely. The good thing with the LWB is its farther back there. I get plenty of street traction, and I haven't had too many difficulties.

The only thing I don't like is the introduction of play in the driveline. You can feel it when you accelerate/decelerate. Nothing I can do about it. Therefore, I'll probably step to a posi unit when I build up the rear chasis, because I don't like give in the driveline.

When it snowed last winter I didn't have too many problems. You just have to be careful. Problem with posi is fishtailing vs. just spinning out with spiders. With lockers you just get more wheel spin on both sides, and going around corners you could loose control when the inner wheel engages.

By no means would I even think about spools unless you drive a train. You'll just be eating your axles up.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:41 PM   #7
67 SS

My 76 4WD has a Posi in the back.The only time I've had to get out and dig to get it unstuck was when I went down a skidder trail in the snow and hit a hole bigger than my tires.The axles dug in the ground til my tires stopped touching the ground.As far as winter driving,any vehicle on an angle will try to slide one way or another no matter what you're running,but a posi will help you get traction.I bought this truck years ago,the first one I drove with a working posi,and it made a believer out of me.
67 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:52 PM   #8
Michael A. K. G

Quote:
Originally posted by C(anda)20
So would a posi be safer for winter driving? I've heard of problems with directional stability with lockers but I wonder if posi's would give the stability of an open diff but some of the traction of a locker when you need it like at a stoplight or starting up a hill.
They are a compromise between a locker and an open diff. They will lock the wheels together, to a point. And they are "always on," unlike a locker. This means the stability will be enhanced over a locker, but regressed with respect to an open diff.

Posi diffs, at least in the rear, are a very sensible choice for a mostly-pavement vehicle. On a 4x4, you can put them in the front also, but the traction squirrliness you get from that will also affect the steering. This is not a good thing, IMO. But some Jeeps do it anyway, and work fine.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:35 AM   #9
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

the 67 K-20 I posted pics of has locked diffs on both ends...it hops around corners and is a real bear to turn in the mud, but it will go anywhere.....nothing slips anywhere, kinda hard on tires and will wear you out to drive it due to the harder turning of no slip, and no p/s.......but hey.....it'll go anywhere!!

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:23 AM   #10
stevesburb

I have a spool in the rear of my 72 bronco. On the street it doesn't handle any worse than a detroit, but at least it is consistant. The chirp isn't that bad. You just don't gas it around corners. That is with 33" AT's. Not sure about snow driving with it.
stevesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:01 AM   #11
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Question Powertraxx Posi Center Section

Are these any good and how hard to install on a 70' with a 12 bolt with 3:73's?. Thanks

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:20 PM   #12
Tracy Focht

I had the Powertrax locker...trsh IMHO...so I threw out a $419 item, got a $99 mini-spool well over a year ago, and works for me. Sure, go thru a set of tire about each year, but with my leadfoot, bet I would anyways.
Tracy Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:31 PM   #13
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

If you want the best of both worlds get the ARB air locker. It is more expensive but you have an open diff until you hit a button which activates the onboard air compressor to switch it over to positive traction. At this point it acts like the spools, there is no slippage what so ever. They make them for the front and rear. I have them on my Jeep are they have got me out of a bind or three!
Old 08-27-2002, 03:39 PM   #14
Canada20

Costs

A couple of things we haven't mentioned about these things are toughness and cost to repair. I know that a good locker is about as bomb-proof as you can get without going as far as a spool but what about the durability of a posi? They're designed to wear out eventually just like a clutch but how long do they last, what power levels can they cope with and how expensive are they to rebuild?

Come to think of it...when they wear out, what happens? Seems to me they just behave like an open diff.

Thanks,

Greg

BTW the air locker idea sounds like a pretty good alternative; can you engage/disengage on the fly?
Canada20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:20 PM   #15
Michael A. K. G

Yes, a worn out Posi behaves just like an open diff.

"No slip whatsoever" is not necessarily a good thing. If you are really "stuck" with traction (as happens to rock crawlers sometimes) something has to give. On a Posi, the clutches slip. On a locker, some part of the driveaxle breaks.

ARB air lockers do allow you to turn on and off the locker as you need. But they don't help you for that slippery spot on the road, unless you train yourself to hit the locker (probably not a good idea due to breakage risk if the other side does have full traction). Posi diffs are on all the time.

They aren't THAT bad to rebuild. Really cheap compared to a chipped ring gear.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:20 PM   #16
big71
Account Suspended

this rearend code says it a locker can ya tell if it is or just a posi
Attached Images

big71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:06 AM   #17
Michael A. K. G

Quote:
Originally posted by big71
this rearend code says it a locker can ya tell if it is or just a posi
It sure looks like a Posi. You can see the S-spring preloader and the clutch disks on one side.

That *might* be part of a locking mechanism, but I doubt it.