The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
96blazr

Valve Covers and Dress-up Kits??

Guys, I’m running a 1977 Corvette 350 in my ‘68 and its very stock and I would like to add more Chrome. I was wondering about which type of Valve covers to get and which would hold up the best. I don’t want to put all this time and money into it and then have them leak.
I’ve seen the Dress-up kits in Summit, but was wondering about the Covers and whether or not those covers would be a good choice?
Also, what about aluminum? Does anyone make these and if so, are they big bucks?

The covers have the PCV Valve on the driver’s side and the oil fill is on the Passenger side, along with another “valve” of some kind that’s supposed to connect to the Air Filter. I can’t remember what this is or called.
Will it be okay to use the Chrome “Breathers” in these holes for Crankcase ventilation?

Any recommendations and/or links will be greatly appreciated.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
1968SWBBigBlock

Re: Valve Covers and Dress-up Kits??

Go with cast AL if you want a long rust free life.
If you live someplace the engine gets wet (daily driver) the chrome plated units will only last a coule of years. Edelbrock makes sharp matching air cleaners and valve covers.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
beater69
Sinister Exaggerator

I got a set of polished cast aluminum from summit for around 50 and I really like them. don't waste your time with cheap chrome, you will only hate yourself for it. but if you do just get the spreader tabs and do not over tighten them.
beater69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I put the Chevrolet Performance Chrome/aluminum valve covers on my Son's truck. They look great, have a nice finish that will not rust and I have had no leaks from them.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
Rick Mills

The cast aluminum also dissipates heat better than chrome.
Wife - Original {A Real Classic!}
Rick Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:04 AM   #6
GREASEMONKEY72

go for aluminium, chrome holds in heat

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
texascowboy593

I've got a set of tall Edelbrock Elite valve covers and they don't leak. Got the matching cleaner and it looks great!
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
1lowdiesel

billet!!

xtremediesel.com
1lowdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
Bowtiefreak

1lowdiesel-
Where did the air cleaner housing come from?
Thanks
Bowtiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
96blazr

Thanks for all the advise.

What about the Breathers??

I want to keep an Oil fill on one of them, but not sure about if I should have a breather for both sides?

Any advise?

There you are.

Gary
Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

First of all, you really do NOT want a breather cap on both valve covers. The design is to take air in one side of the motor and sweep it through the crankcase to purge oil vapors out through the PCV valve on the other side. If you put a breathe rcap on both valve covers, you will short circuit your air flow and gasses in the crankcase will build up. A lot of the dress up kits, combine the oil fill and a breather cap ALL into one. With today's designs and styles, the thought is to keep one side as the PCV valve with a line to the front of the carb base and the other is a breather of some sort. My breathers are connected to the air cleaner to keep any oil fumes from creating a mess on the valve covers. However, there are just straight breathers that are open to the atmosphere and allows the fumes to escape.

If you chose the chrome "Metal" valve cover design, then the breather caps and the PCV is easy, cheap, and simple. If you go with the aluminum valve covers and you want breathers and PCV to match them, then the price does go up. For my 383, I put two (2) "Billet Specialties" PCV combination caps on my aluminum valve covers. I took the PCV valve out of one of them, so that the air could flow in a path from the air cleaner to the block. Now the caps are matched on both sides. When I need to fill with oil, I pour it down through the hole that the cap fits into.

Last edited by piecesparts; 02-02-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
revn67

hey 1lowdiesel.....what pully setup is that from? and how much was it? don't mean to hijack your thread 96blzr

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

It’s been my experience that chrome leaks. So if you don’t want leaks stay away from chrome. Polished aluminum is ok though.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #14
muddpile

Anything that is cast or billet will seal better than stamped steel in my opinion. With valve covers, you get what you pay for, so I'd go with the better ones.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
It’s been my experience that chrome leaks. So if you don’t want leaks stay away from chrome. Polished aluminum is ok though.
s/t

I would like to comment here. It is not that Chrome leaks and aluminum does not; it is that "CHEAP METAL REPOP ITEMS" from a chinese/taiwanese factory, leaks (they just happened to be chromed so the public will buy them). Our manufacturing outlets around here want to build a business of dressing up the engines, but cheap guys like us want the prices where we can afford them. That leaves us with an overseas made quality that just plain sux. I disagree that chrome leaks, because I have been running chrome things for years and most of it was done on my own. I took my items to a chroming facility and had it done. I did do the cheap stuff a couple of times and was able to get them to seal, but it took time. Did you know that 90% of the dress up parts that you buy from the GM Perfromance parts group are just that, a foreign made quality. Those parts are purchsed through a company called "PROFORM" and they arrive at your house with a small sticker inside them that say made in China (even the aluminum ones). That is why I said, that I delved into the world of the cheaper parts and made them work.

If you open a Summit or Jegs catalog and look at aluminum or chrome valve covers, that are priced competively, then in most cases they ARE just that.

IF you can't screw it up looking pretty, then you ain't doing it right.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
adpostel

Its been my experience, that what leaks is by far NOT the valve covers you use, but the Valve Cover Gasket. I personally don't use the POS cork gaskets, I always use the rubber ones with the thin piece of steel in the middle. They are pricey, but never leak. I have never had an issue with a Valve Cover itself leaking. Buy the Valve Covers that you like the best, and then get the good gaskets. You can reuse the rubber ones, and you don't have to put all that gunky silicone all over your stuff. Be sure and get the correct grommets for the PCV and Breather. Just my .02 cents
Old 02-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
1lowdiesel

i'm gonna start a thread on the motor and car. so i don't hijack any threads.

xtremediesel.com
1lowdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #18
Wootdog

If you buy aluminum and are lazy like me, after awhile they dull. You have to pull them off and polish them. Not hard to do just time consuming. My two cents. Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #19
bobthecop

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpostel View Post
Its been my experience, that what leaks is by far NOT the valve covers you use, but the Valve Cover Gasket. I personally don't use the POS cork gaskets, I always use the rubber ones with the thin piece of steel in the middle. They are pricey, but never leak. I have never had an issue with a Valve Cover itself leaking. Buy the Valve Covers that you like the best, and then get the good gaskets. You can reuse the rubber ones, and you don't have to put all that gunky silicone all over your stuff. Be sure and get the correct grommets for the PCV and Breather. Just my .02 cents
I agree, over tightening and squishing the gasket and bending the valve cover lip is what usually what causes them to leak.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #20
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpostel View Post
Thank you for the input Adpostel. I'm still not 100% sure which tack I'll take as far my Valve Covers, but I sure as hell know which Gaskets I'll be using!:metal:

And thanks to everyone else for their input too. Looks like I still have a little research to do, but I'm getting a beeter grip on all this.

piecesparts. Thanks for explaining the "breather" aspect.

There you are.

Gary