The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
Rokcrln

Just need to vent a bit!

We were sitting in the living room watching TV and I heard my cat at the door wanting in and then I heard a louder BANG! I get up and turn on the portch light and see a guy getting out of his truck and he looks at his bumper and gets back in his truck. Did I mention that his truck is backed up with in 4' of my new project "Low buck truck build". He then pulls back into the buisness driveway next to my house as I walk out to look at the back of my truck. When I get out their it is dark but I see that my rear bumper is bowed in just a bit and right in the center their is a sharp crease that was not their last week when the bumper went on. So as I start to walk over to the driveway to see what happened the guy pulls out and takes off. I am preaty sure it is one of the regular guys that works their so I wil be paying his Boss a vistit in the morning.

How can people be such an hole! You know if he would have just told me what happened I probly would have told him no big deal and left it at that but now that chance is up. The bumper was not perfect but damb close to it. I have been moving this thing around for the last 7yrs and I finaly pull it out of the parts attic and install it and then this happens.

What would you have done? Has this ever happened to you?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Just need to vent a bit!

I don't blame ya, I would be upset too. Personal responsibility seems to be a thing of the past with some.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
FLEET72

'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:29 AM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

August of '05, 2:00 am Sunday morning I wake up to brakes squeeling and a loud crash. I look out the window to see that some guy just plowed into the back of my wifes minivan parked in front of my house. I yelled "hey" out the window and he took off. He was driving a turboed Mitsubishi Eclipse and had nocked something off the turbo the way it sounded when he took off so I figured I could catch him. No luck, it took 45 minutes for the cops to show up because she was working a stabbing across town. After 3 weeks, he turned himself in (ends up living in the culdisack behind my house). His insurance fixed my van and the day of court he admitted the reason he ran was because he was drunk. He gets a $125.00 fine and that is it. Where is justice? Fleet72 has the answer.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"

Last edited by Bishops Trucks; 02-03-2007 at 04:55 AM.
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEET72 View Post

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Boog
laying low

Dang Kevin. That's pretty bold to do it with you there and run off like that. Most likely he treats his own stuff the same way and has little regard to anyone else's. To him yours is just an old truck and not worth much. The inconsiderate bastard!
Man! this brings up some old memories of my personal experiences. Excuse me. My blood pressure is on the rise!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 02-03-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I`d identify his next door and charge him double or you`ll have him arrested.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
kenm78
Broken Down

I bet he didn't have insurance!!!

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
kenm78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
chevyboy55

He's likely one of those turds that just figgured "who cares it's just an old truck he wont even notice" I'd darned sure go talk to his boss though.

Last edited by chevyboy55; 02-03-2007 at 11:46 AM.
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

DID YOU get a police report? If not, then how can you support your claim? It is a stupid thing, but the courts and lawyers like those things to have been done.

Short of that, did you get the license number, along with the description of the truck and guy that hit it.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Rokcrln

Well I don't think guns will be needed (I hope). I did talk to th ecops last night and told them I wanted to try and deal with it today and they told me no problem and if it did not work out call him back. He can still do a "Hit and Run" report today if needed. I will be talking with his boss today for sure. I will post a pic of the quarters size damage today

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Here are the pics. Notice how the bumper is now bowed in a bit.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-03-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #13
65-72 chevytoys

Get the license number and report a hit and run. He would be going to jail for leaving the scene.
2004 Corvette Z16 #770
Wish I had not sold 72 blazer
65-72 chevytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

If he has one of those plastic bumper covers, maybe it left a mark on hizzen too...
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Rokcrln

All resolved! I went around the corner and their was the same truck from last night. So I went inside and asked the lady incharge whos truck that was and she said the owners and went and got him. When he came out he did not look like the person from last night and when I told him what happened he looked really shocked! The the kid at the register came over (the owners son) and talked to his dad in spanish and his dad looked pissed. He asked to come over and see the truck and his son said that yes he did it and was sorry for not saying anything. The father then said to get it fixed and his son would pay for the damage. I then scolded the kid and told him if he had only been honest and came up and told me what happened instead of leaving I probaly would have told him not to worry about it and I would have just fixed it. But now I was pissed and wanted it fixed! I figure about $200 for a new one from ECE with shipping.

Thanks for letting me vent. Please keep in mind that honesty is always the best way to go. In this case the kid has to pay for it anyways and now he also has to deal with his dad and see me each time I go in thier!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

You got lucky, this could have taken a turn for a larger investment of time and effort.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #17
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

At least you got justice, we cant say the same for my dads El Camino 7 years ago,
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #18
adpostel

That is great, for you and the kid. You get a new bumper, that otherwise if the kid had been truthful in the begining, you wouldn't have gotten. And the kid learns a valuable but cheap lesson. If you mess up in life, your gonna get caught. Maybe next time he will be a better citizen and this will make him a more responsible person because he has to pay for his mistake. For 200 bucks, that is a very inexpensive lesson. Just a thought, maybe you can make that kid help you put your bumper on and maybe it will give him something better to do than fartin' around at night in the streets. You never know, this whole thing may make him a far better person than he may have ever been. I just know that a lot of young folks these days don't have much to do and therefore end up in trouble. Good Luck to you and keep us posted. I would hope for a good ending to the whole thing. Just my .02 cents
Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #19
Rokcrln

Yes I am glad it went the easy way. I must say for the kid that he is not one of these that farts around at night. He works every day in the family resturant, that is were he was leaving last night at 10pm+ when this happened. I am the first house from down town so it is mixed use zoning. It is a nice set up because it lets me have a licensed buisness doing fabrication right in my back yard To be honest with you I would rather have keeped my bent bumper and know that kids have better morals the what happened. I can fix the bumper and make it look better than the rest of the truck so that was not the reason that I delt with it the way I did. I am a firm believer in leading by example.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #20
Shane
Account Suspended

Sounds like the kid's dad is a stand-up guy too. Fewer and fewer folks like that out there now days.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #21
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad it all worked out. Sounds like some good folks next door to you. That is always nice.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #22
weasle

I applaud you on the way you handled this situation. I'm glad everything is going to work out for you.
weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If he's really a good worker you might consider hiring the kid and letting him work off his debt. You could teach him to be more respectful of others property and take responsibility when he screws up. You might teach him a thing or two about bending metal in a positive way....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #24
LEEVON

Not to jack the thread, but I had my '71 not 5 days out of paint and some punk rear-ended the chick behind me and she hit me. He tried to take off, but thougt better when he saw me looking at his tag. The cops showed up and didn't write any tickets!)(#*@&%()* She just said they were too busy to mess with it and I got stuck holding the bill.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #25
49studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
We were sitting in the living room watching TV and I heard my cat at the door wanting in and then I heard a louder BANG! I get up and turn on the portch light and see a guy getting out of his truck and he looks at his bumper and gets back in his truck. Did I mention that his truck is backed up with in 4' of my new project "Low buck truck build". He then pulls back into the buisness driveway next to my house as I walk out to look at the back of my truck. When I get out their it is dark but I see that my rear bumper is bowed in just a bit and right in the center their is a sharp crease that was not their last week when the bumper went on. So as I start to walk over to the driveway to see what happened the guy pulls out and takes off. I am preaty sure it is one of the regular guys that works their so I wil be paying his Boss a vistit in the morning.

How can people be such an hole! You know if he would have just told me what happened I probly would have told him no big deal and left it at that but now that chance is up. The bumper was not perfect but damb close to it. I have been moving this thing around for the last 7yrs and I finaly pull it out of the parts attic and install it and then this happens.

What would you have done? Has this ever happened to you?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
"How can people be such an hole! You know if he would have just told me what happened I probly would have told him no big deal and left it at that but now that chance is up. "

Good attitude, I feel the same way. It's not so much the expense as the thought and inconsideration!
49studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote