The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
HotRod73

Exhaust Help...

I have a pretty much new dual exhaust system in my back yard. it has all the pipe, mufflers, and tips... it is complete... from where it mounts to manifolds back to the tips and its already welded all together just needs to be installed... how hard is this? could i just unbolt the exhaust from my manifolds or do i have to take to a muffler ship? it has the brackets too... i wanna try and save money and do it myself if possible lol
Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Blackstone

Re: Exhaust Help...

Where do the tailpipes exit? If they exit past the rear axle it may be tricky, but not necessarilly impossible. The system likely came out in one piece, so I suspect it will go back in the same way....assuming it came from a similar model truck.
Blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
HotRod73

yep same truck but all the pipes and stuff are NEW i am just saying is the exhaust bolted to the manifold right? so if i unbolt the exhaust from the manifold and all the brackets from the frame the exhaust will come out and i can slip the new one in... tailpipes go straight back with chrome tips just like i have now but im currently running dual glass packs... is there a gasket that goes from the exhaust manifold to my pipe or no? think i can just bolt it all up my self? what should i torque it to. im not replacing the manifold only the pipe
Old 02-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
84 400
Sb 400 club

yes sir it will bolt right up if the truck it came off of had the same mainifolds and such and the same trans. The thing will be a pain in the rear to get in all in one peice but it can be done. why don't you like the glass packs?? anyways does it use a "Y" pipe or is it true duals? also there is a gasket off the manifolds. It is a doughnut style gasket.

good lick with it. as far as the bolts get em nice and tight to prevent leaks. And re adjust in a few weeks once it is setteled.
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
HotRod73

its true duals just seperate pipes for each side that have mufflers and tips already welded on... and i like flowmasters better than glass packs the glass packs are old and worn out... so i will just need a donut gasket to put on there? and there is no certain torque to set it at?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

The gasket that connects your manifold to the pipes will look something like this...

You should be able to reuse the original ones that are on it now. I did and they sealed up fine.

As for torque specs, there really aren't any that I know of. just make sure you get them really tight, but not to the point of stripping. Then, in a week or so, get back under there and tighten them back up again to make sure they are still tight.

Hope that helps.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

If possible soak the manifold studs a while with some type penetrating oil. Removing old rusted nuts dry will surely mess the threads up, Been there done that.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
kevinr1970

To put it in complete you will need to make clearance around the rear-end. This will most likely require you to drop one end (fronts or rears) of the springs on the rear axle. Unless you are installing on a 4x4 then you might get lucky.
You might be able take the exhaust to a shop and have them cut the pipes just after the mufflers and then expand the pipe so it will slip fit back together. If your truck is lowered this might start to become problematic as you will be losing ~1-2" in length.
If your truck isn't something that needs to get inspected (the truck in your avatar) then you might just cut it yourself after the mufflers, enjoy the rumble for a few days coming straight off the muffler, then bring it in to a shop and have them re-join the pipes after the muffelr to the tailpipes. But I would get this set up with a shop before you start on this.
As for the header pipes as long as they are similar years they should mount the same. Should be able to tell just by looking at them.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
HotRod73

i think ill be okay, ill jack the truck up and im sure i can get it all under there without any cutting will just take a few trys but im sure ill get her done!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
HotRod73

on the donut gasket does the smaller circle go in the manifold or the bigger circle.. one side is bigger other side has smaller hole... which way does it go on?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:53 AM   #11
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod73 View Post
on the donut gasket does the smaller circle go in the manifold or the bigger circle.. one side is bigger other side has smaller hole... which way does it go on?
In the picture I posted, the top of the donut (smaller side) will face up, towards the manifolds. Once you pull it apart, that should be pretty obvious though, as that's how it meshes in there.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote