The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
mariojb

Question Would this make me steer when I bump?

I am having some problems with bumpy roads. On smooth roads I'm great but on bumpy back roads I'm all over. Would this pitman arm make that happen? I'm a '53 Chevy 3100 with a straight axle and power steering. I have a steering stabilizer and everything is tight on my steering components. My wheels have been checked for toe-in but I'm still all over. PO did the upgrades but something about this doesn't look right. It looks like the kit from Classic Performance Parts minus the pitman arm. Any ideas?
Name:  untitled4.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  48.3 KB
mariojb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
8ball

Re: Would this make me steer when I bump?

I would think the pitman arm/draglink setup is suspect. It looks like it could possibly bind or create bumpsteer when the suspension moves. It appears the stock steering arm has been modified to account for the newer steering box. You might look into finding a flat pitman arm that is sized to keep the draglink movement parallel with the frame and level with the steering arm.

Just my .02
8ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
mariojb

Re: Would this make me steer when I bump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
I would think the pitman arm/draglink setup is suspect. It looks like it could possibly bind or create bumpsteer when the suspension moves. It appears the stock steering arm has been modified to account for the newer steering box. You might look into finding a flat pitman arm that is sized to keep the draglink movement parallel with the frame and level with the steering arm.

Just my .02
See, that's what I'm thinking. All the vendors who sell kits for this show a flat 4" pitman arm.
mariojb is offline   Reply With Quote