The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
green724x4

Exclamation what carb do you use to go off roading?

I am looking for a good off road carb for climbing silver lake sand dunes. I have a 600 holley that has elect. choke but would it be a good idea to put a $87 rebuild kit plus with a off road needle kit in this old carb. Not sure how old it is bought it at a swap meet. Thinking about 600 edelbrock off road or 670 holley truck avenger. Heard bad things about holleys being finicky. Have a jetted down 750 double pumper that is a POS.
Also going to put a mild lobey comp cam in it and preformer intake
Have dyno max headers and exhaust on the 350 with HEI
Thanks for any input!
green724x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
trkklr77
Account Suspended

Location: vacaville ca, because it as far from indy as i can be
Re: what carb do you use to go off roading?

i had very good luck with my holley DUAL FEED 750 on my 350. the seperated bolws means that the fuel wont flow back to the other bolw and cuasing a worse flood out. it would still flood but would handle alot.

ill take the dp off your hands for my shorty if you want to dump it.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Q-jet all the way. I've had my k5 nose high so all I could see was blue sky and it ran like it does level. Same thing with the nose down. Only thing I havent really tested is if it's on an extreme side hill. Way I see it if I did, it would end up on it's side before the carb acted up.

Qjets get a bad rap for being tough to tune, but they are really simple when you break them down into the smaller parts. They run great off road without needing to buy any off road kit like you do with a holley or Edlebrock carb. The only thing I'd change my qjet out for is fuel injection.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Burt4x4

I ran Edelbrock Q-jet for years. It out performs all carbs off road. Once you get it tuned you rarely have to mess with it again. They hold a tune very well. The off camber works very well too. The only mod I recomend would be to add a 3" piece of fuel line to the float breather tube. THe float breather tube is the only source of fuel that can 'splash' into the intake. So by extending it the splash no longer happens.
All other carbs are for cars not trucks...well I have no experiace with the newer so called Off ROad carbs or Truck carbs but everyother guy I have wheeled with useing Hollys or Edelbrocks square body carbs sputter and puke when my Q-jet would just keep purring.
The only other choice would be Fuel Injection
My .02c
Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
OLDCHEV4X4

I run a q-jet on my obstacle course blazer. And i also put the bowl vent hoze on it like Burt4x4 did. It would still sputter a little over the real bumpy stuff. ( i am racing through the woods as fast as i can)... So i thought mabey the fuel pressure was over powering the needle and seat over the rough stuff. So i put a fuel pressure regulator on it and adjusted it down to 4 lbs. ( its a mild 350) And now it works great!
72 custom/10 8' bed
70 K/5 Blazer
67 C-30 GMC Flat bed
86 GMC K2500 Plow Truck
85 GMC K3500
84 M1008
85 M1008
77 G30 Motor Home
72 Sears 12hp Tractor
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
OLDCHEV4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
johnnywagon
Sofa King. We, Todd, Ed.

Q-Jet all the way. When I built my truck the motor was built around a Holley projection system. But I couldnt get the damn thing to work right so I "temporarily" bolted on an old Q-Jet off one of my Chevelles. 3 years later I still havent tryed to hook up the Pro-jection again. No need, the Q-Jet works so good Im afraid to touch it. Its on top of an Air-Gap intake w/a spread bore adaptor. In this "stuck" picture I left the truck idling for 15 mins, no problem. Then I shut her down and she restarted 30 mins later..easy.
Attached Images

71 Blazer One Ton
65 Chevelle Station Wagon x2
59 Belair 2 Door
71 Chevy Open Road Van RV

www.myspace.com/johnnywagon
johnnywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
green724x4

Thease are stock q jets off your 67-72 chevy trucks. I rebuilt my q-jet but it still didn't idle. I will try it agian when I get running with that carb. I will post pics of the carb. Might try pro rebiuld wich is about 300 bucks.
green724x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
DieselEater

Q-JET ALL THE WAY..........AND ITS GOOD TO 700+ hp IF DONE RIGHT...........BUY CLIFF RUGGLES BOOK, THEN A Q-JET THAT HE RECCOMENDS, THEN BUILD IT!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY THING BETTER IS FI!!!!!!!!
DieselEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by green724x4 View Post
Thease are stock q jets off your 67-72 chevy trucks. I rebuilt my q-jet but it still didn't idle. I will try it agian when I get running with that carb. I will post pics of the carb. Might try pro rebiuld wich is about 300 bucks.

You shouldnt need to get a pro rebuild. Go down to the locak barns and noble or Boarders and get the book: Rochester Carburators, by Doug Roe His book goes over the basics for a q-jet all the way up to race tuning. I'm betting you have a typical fuel leak from the casting plugs in the main body or wobbled out throttle shafts. No matter what you do to the idle speed and mixture adjustment, you can't tune either issue out. You will have to seal up the casting plugs and or install bushings for the throttle shafts. Trust me the book is worth it for these kinds of fixes..

I'm lucky that my Dad is retiered because he loves doing carb work. He was a highway engineer, but the details of doing carb work are fun to him. I don't have the nerve for it. I'll get it running and have him tweak/tune it. Anybody that can keep a dual 4bbl 283 running smoothly like he can takes to a single q-jet like a duck to water. Still he built and tweaked the Holley 650 DP (fuel toilet) for my 69 Nova. It sucks twice the fuel of the q-jet I pulled off of it, but it runs a heck of a lot faster. But the Nova is just a go-fast toy so the holley is better suited for it. The old q-jet would pull down 20 mpg on the highway if I kept my foot out of it.

Get the book and try doing it yourself. Stay organized, take the carb apart in a tray or old cookie sheet to catch the small stuff. Follow the book's advice and you should be able to get that q-jet running well.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
vtblazer

I just pulled off a Q-jet to go injected BUT that thing ran very well when out wheeling.

Extending the vent pipe will make a world of difference for ya.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
bigtruck81

definitely a QJet all the way.

throttle body injection would be a little better, although a little more involved in tuning.
bigtruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote