The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Low84

Suspension Q's

Well, my springs are finally starting to give out on me. My truck has a ghetto drop. Cut springs up front and removed leaf springs out back. The truck has recently begun to bottom out with the slightest imperfection in the road when I have a passenger. I'm tired of my lowrider (with hydro's) riding better than my truck So I want to do atleast the front correctly

Now for the questions:

1. I want to piece together a drop kit slowly. I'm looking at drop spindles from Summit right now and they have 2 1/2" and 3" drop spindles. My question I'm running some 15x10 centerlines all around. Would a 3" spindle rub on my rims? I also plan to put some 2" drop springs.

2. Where is a good place to buy a full stack of leaf springs for our trucks. I'm planning on putting a full stack and doing the flip a bit later on.

Any input welcome
Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Low84

Re: Suspension Q's

Alright, I just got done looking for leaf spings in LMC. They got 4 leaf, 6 leaf, and 8 leaf I'm lost
Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

if you carry a big load often go for 8 leaf.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
pcmcobra

count how many leaf springs you have on your truck, then buy the same ones.
As far as the 15" wheels rubbing, I would have to say yes they would, but depending on backspace, maybe not. Some others w/ 15" wheels can chime in and tell you the specs to see if that is a yes or no.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #5
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc 415 View Post
if you carry a big load often go for 8 leaf.
No, I don't. Heck I rarely use the truck and heaviest I've ever carried is a Bowflex. Would 4 leafs be sufficient? Do you know what impact they have on ride quality/height? Softer or harsher? Lower or same height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmcobra View Post
count how many leaf springs you have on your truck, then buy the same ones.
As far as the 15" wheels rubbing, I would have to say yes they would, but depending on backspace, maybe not. Some others w/ 15" wheels can chime in and tell you the specs to see if that is a yes or no.
That's what I was fearing Thanks. Lets see if someone has some experience with drop spindles and 15" rims. Actually a member just came to mind. I think he has a black truck, that was dropped really low, and then bagged. Can't remember his screen name though. I think he was from Canada.

About the leaf springs. I can't do that because I bought the truck with the leaf springs already removed. The back can still hold up though. I'm mostly concerned with the front suspension right now.

Thanks for you help guys.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I have Western Chassis 2.5" drop spindles and 8" rally wheels. Nothing scrapes the wheels or the tires, even with 255/70/15 tires. I have never seen anyone say they could run 15s and a 3" spindle without interference problems even with narrower wheels. I went with the 2.5" spindles to avoid that problem since I don't ever plan to run a bigger wheel than 15". I assume that 10 inch wheels would give you problems since other had problems with 7s and 8s, but I can't say for sure.

More leaves on the rear will make the ride rougher and make it sit higher. Once you do the flip, the ride will stay rough with more leaves, but it will drop the back lower because of the thickness of the spring.

Since you don't have your original stock springs for reference, maybe you should look on this board for a truck with a flip kit that sits the way you want yours to, and ask the owner how many leaves the truck has. I can't help you with that because I have 4" drop leaves, and you can't really do a flip with them.

Slonaker

EDIT: I forgot to add that my 15X8 wheels are really close to the lower control arms with the 2.5" drop spindles.

Last edited by Slonaker; 02-13-2007 at 01:56 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
I have Western Chassis 2.5" drop spindles and 8" rally wheels. Nothing scrapes the wheels or the tires, even with 255/70/15 tires. I have never seen anyone say they could run 15s and a 3" spindle without interference problems even with narrower wheels. I went with the 2.5" spindles to avoid that problem since I don't ever plan to run a bigger wheel than 15". I assume that 10 inch wheels would give you problems since other had problems with 7s and 8s, but I can't say for sure.

More leaves on the rear will make the ride rougher and make it sit higher. Once you do the flip, the ride will stay rough with more leaves, but it will drop the back lower because of the thickness of the spring.

Since you don't have your original stock springs for reference, maybe you should look on this board for a truck with a flip kit that sits the way you want yours to, and ask the owner how many leaves the truck has. I can't help you with that because I have 4" drop leaves, and you can't really do a flip with them.

Slonaker

EDIT: I forgot to add that my 15X8 wheels are really close to the lower control arms with the 2.5" drop spindles.

Cool thanks for the help. So I guess that leaves 3" spindles out of the question.

2.5" spindles iffy at the moment. I don't plan on changing my wheel/tire combo any time soon. But I'm really fed up with the cheap, cut half of the coil, drop I have right now.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
Low84

And it the least drop is 2.5 nothing lower

I don't want to gamble, I'm really strapped for cash right now.

Buying a $250 part and not being able to use it, or worse yet use it and take out 2 rims in the process, doesn't sound to appealing.

Are there any other options?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
grinch4om
dang its hot

I used the 3" spindles with 8" ralleys, they rubbed the control arm. put 7" ralleys on and all is good obviously it is the back spacing. I would say, 3" back spacing or less and you would be ok, I also have 1" coil drop

Last edited by grinch4om; 02-13-2007 at 08:11 AM.
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Low84

Thanks for the info.

I've never checked the backspacing on the wheels, but if I had to guess; I'd say its somewhere around the 4 1/2" range.

Sad thing is I just bought new tires all around. Guess I'll just get some coils cut.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low84 View Post
And it the least drop is 2.5 nothing lower

I don't want to gamble, I'm really strapped for cash right now.

Buying a $250 part and not being able to use it, or worse yet use it and take out 2 rims in the process, doesn't sound to appealing.

Are there any other options?

I'm not really sure what that first sentence means, but you can add drop springs to drop spindles to get the amount of drop you want. I still want to get some 1" drop springs to bring mine to a 3.5" total drop in the front.

Drop springs are designed to be shorter, so they will probably ride better than your old cut springs. Anything has to be better than springs with several coild cut off.

Do you know anyone running 3" spindles? If you do, put one of your front wheels on the front of that truck and see if your wheels clear the LCA and caliper. If they do, your okay. If they don't try to see if it looks like you can get them to clear with a little bit of grinding.

Slonaker
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

A 3" drop is possible with the use of a wheel that has no more that a 4.5" backspace. I am running Belltech 3" drop spindles and a set of drop springs that are giving me another 1/2" with a 15" X 8" Weld Wheel on my 84 with no problems. I did have to trim a little off of the bottom 'A' Frame at the very tip, but it was very little.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
I'm not really sure what that first sentence means, but you can add drop springs to drop spindles to get the amount of drop you want. I still want to get some 1" drop springs to bring mine to a 3.5" total drop in the front.

Drop springs are designed to be shorter, so they will probably ride better than your old cut springs. Anything has to be better than springs with several coild cut off.

Do you know anyone running 3" spindles? If you do, put one of your front wheels on the front of that truck and see if your wheels clear the LCA and caliper. If they do, your okay. If they don't try to see if it looks like you can get them to clear with a little bit of grinding.

Slonaker
LOL I don't even know what I meant by that either. I was falling asleep.

No, what I wanted to say is that the 2.5" spindle is the least amount of drop available. That I can't find say a 2" spindle or less.

Actually, I have that friend of mine that has some drop spindles on his truck. The gold one I've posted in the vids. I'll go ahead and do that, thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
A 3" drop is possible with the use of a wheel that has no more that a 4.5" backspace. I am running Belltech 3" drop spindles and a set of drop springs that are giving me another 1/2" with a 15" X 8" Weld Wheel on my 84 with no problems. I did have to trim a little off of the bottom 'A' Frame at the very tip, but it was very little.
Thanks for the info! I'm running 15x10's all around and I believe (actually more like hoping) that they have a 4.5" backspace. I'll probably have to end up pulling some McGyver move to make something happen.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 AM   #15
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Just to add a bit more to the information posted here...

If you don't haul loads in your truck, you can get by with the 4-leaf spring pack in the rear. The 5-leaf spring pack includes a overload spring. I imagine the 4-pack and 5-pack leafs will 'roughly' ride the same. In the meantime, if you're bottoming out in the rear, then you can cut out the bump stop and install a button snubber.

Your long-term goal for a dropped stance shouldl dictate the components you should use. If you plan out your drop, you'll lessen the amount of $$$ it takes to get to your overall stance by buying the 'right' parts the first time around (as funds allow). Of course, it always seems that once you lower the stance, you'll end up wanting to go lower.
BTW, drop spindles retain the suspension/steering geometry better than drop springs.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...

Last edited by boxrodz; 02-14-2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Typos, grrrr...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #16
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
BTW, drop spindles retain the suspension/steering geometry better than drop spindles.
Now your gonna confuse us all Marcus!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #17
bigblock73
yeller

On the rear, get the same springs you have now. If you change, then you will end up with different length springs and will have to move the rear hangers forward or back depending on what spring length you are going from to what length you are going to...and that will be no fun, especially with the bed on the truck. I believe the 4 and 5 leaf setups are the same length, the 7 or 8 are longer.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #18
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Now your gonna confuse us all Marcus!

Dang, I hate when that happens.
I know my thoughts were clear. It was just that it was long day and the keyboard was tired and ...
I got it corrected. Thank you, sir.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote