The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Mt Man Chad

Question Torque converter fluid?

I am getting close to putting the motor in my truck, and was going to drain the transmission fluid out of the torque converter.

I replaced the filter and gasket in the transmission the fluid was clean that came out. I'm closing in on starting the engine and running the trans that has been sitting for 12 years.

What is the trick to changing all the fluid out of the converter and filling before startup and how much should I put in....
Old 02-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Re: Torque converter fluid?

i would just buy a new torque converter myself why put something thats been sitting around 12 years with old fluid

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
SactoJim

The only way I have ever heard of doing it was to drill a small hole in the torque converter and drain all the dirty fluid out. Then take an aluminum pop rivet and some silicone and seal it back up. I've only heard this and never attempted this feat myself.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

no help here ttt

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
1968SWBBigBlock

Pull the torque converter and turn it upside down so the snout it facing down and poor the oil out, in much the same manner you would pour water out of a tire, round and round we go when we stop no one knows.
To fill it just turn the converter onto its back and pour the fluid into the snout. When you put the converter back onto the input shaft you need to make sure that it seats correctly. This is done by slowly spinning the converter until it "falls" back into a pair of engaging slots. If you do not do this your truck will not drive when you get all done. If you have not gone thru the tranny and it has been sitting for 12 years I would freshin it up and yes maybe spending the $$$ for a new TC might be money well spent
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
KFreddy

You flush it by pouring in new fluid giving it a gentle swirl for a few moments then pour out what you can, repeat a few times. You will see by the color of the fluid when it is flushed out. However a new converter and dropping the pan of the tranny would be the better way to go about it. Aluminum pop rivets and silicon + heat = really bad idea, though a 3/8" bit on my dewalt gives great labotomys...

-Fred
KFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
GREASEMONKEY72

id say just get a new TC to, better safe than sorry, but i wouldnt flush the tranny to much because ive heard a flush can do more help than good, but it might not be a bad idea to have it checked out at a trans shop since its been sitting for so long, just a thought

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Schralper

Buy a new converter.
If it's been sitting that long it's just waiting to let some **** loose.
Schralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

I used to be (successfully) in the transmission business. What 68swbbigblock says is good advice but I'll add some extra; If that tranny has been sitting around for 12 years I'd have it gone through. I don't know what if any budget limitations you have,but the main problem that effects a transmission is hardening of the seals,which in turn cause friction surfaces to slip and "burn".I just would not want that trans in my truck as-is.Contamination is a major culprit too.Usually around here you can get a "bench" rebuild (no R+R,just bring yours in) for very reasonable amount.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Myself

I just dealt with this last summer. The trans was unused for about 4 years. The fluid looked good but I changed it anyway. After about 25 miles large pieces of clutch material were falling off. I was told the glue that holds the clutch material to the plate is water based. The oil won't hurt it but moisture from sitting too long will break down the glue. You might as well just go ahead and rebuild it.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote