The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

How long can you keep the oil!

I have some unused oiled in the original containers for couple of years (not opened). I was wondering how long I can keep them like that? How about if they are opened? I am asking this becuase I know that you shouldn't let the oil sit in your car/truck for long time without runnng the engine occasionally. Anyway, just curiosity
Thanks.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
84_4x4

Re: How long can you keep the oil!

i don't think oil has a limited shelf life but i am not sure interesting question though i would like to know the answer myself
Old 02-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
nu2-72

The oil will live longer than you.
There is no reason to start a vehicle occasionally for the oils sake. You do that for the metal. The point is to try and keep a coating of oil on parts but gravity will eventually run oil to the pan.
If it is stored in a vehicle outside subject to weather changes, condensation may enter the picture but usually seals dry out allowing mosture in. You rotate assemblies to keep seals, rings and so on coated.
Is there oil in museum autos? Do they start them?
And many people keep collections of the old cardboard cans for years.
I would not give it a second thought.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

oil in the engine becomes acidic with the blow by and byproducts of conbustion contaminating the oil... that's the 3 months part of the 3000 miles or 3 months for draining the oil.
Oil in a bottle.... run it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
WorkinLonghorn

I don't know.I was cleaning out a basement and ran across unopened cans from probably the '40s. I threw them out only because oil was pretty basic stuff back then,without some of the modern additives etc.But the basic oil has been in the ground for what,hundreds of millions of years? Seems like 3 more isn't going to spoil it.However,if it was me I still think I'd put it in the lawn mower first.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
AO50

My brother is a store manager at a auto parts store. They're not allowed to sell oil or give it away after it's been sitting on the shelf for a certain amount of time. They just toss it out into the trash to be recycled. I have quite a bit of oil for this reason, ranging from 0w5 to 15w40, mobil1, pennzoil, castrol, and quaker state. There must be a reason they can't sell it anymore?
AO50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #7
jimfulco

I had a few cans of Havoline (Regular, not Super) from the '60s or early '70s that was in cardboard cans, stored in an outdoor garage. I opened one about 1990 or so, and it was cloudy, I assume from the humidity. The cardboard was kinda soft, so it collapsed some when it hit it with the church key.

Last edited by jimfulco; 02-15-2007 at 11:08 PM.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

its been in the ground for millions of years so i think it would be good for the next million

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #9
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 AM   #10
GREASEMONKEY72

when we got the race car the guy had a 55gal drum of oil with about 10qts or so left in it and i poured it out into a bucket and it looked like it had just came out of an engine and it had never been used just been sitting for like 6+ years

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
nu2-72

A050, it's called marketing.
I just wonder.
Beer has a longer shelf life than oil? Maybe not, how many people believe what they know compared to what they read?
I grew up with too much excercise in young people causes bone growth problems. Now kids don't excercise and are obese.
Eggs will kill you, alchohol will kill you, now these are considered medical advantiges.
How many cars have been through Barrett Jackson that were stored for ? years? Do you think the buyers are thinking,"I wonder when the last oil change was?"
I purchesed a motorcycle that had been sitting for 15 years and a 4-wheeler for 4 years. I was more concerned about the fuel breaking down and causing problems than the oil.
Cleaned the carbs, added fresh fuel and fired them up. Ran them a while and then changed fluids.
I guess I would have definately put those cans on the shelf for the collector value before using them or throwing them out but I stored my car every Winter for 6-7 months and drove it in the Spring, same with the boat and bike.
Now there is the E-Tec engine that never needs an oil change. How is that? Anyone know yet? I have not researched it but it must be total synthetic or run on Teflon or something.
And I have always been told and read that oil does not break down. The additives do and it picks up contaminants. Thermal breakdown involves heat and contaminantion involves moving wear debris and/or stationary contaminants such as moisture from temperature changes.
I assume that collection cars have oil in them and how often to they get changed. Anyone know Jay Leno? He should know cars. LOL
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2-72 View Post
A050, it's called marketing.
I just wonder.
Beer has a longer shelf life than oil? Maybe not, how many people believe what they know compared to what they read?
I grew up with too much excercise in young people causes bone growth problems. Now kids don't excercise and are obese.
Eggs will kill you, alchohol will kill you, now these are considered medical advantiges.
How many cars have been through Barrett Jackson that were stored for ? years? Do you think the buyers are thinking,"I wonder when the last oil change was?"
I purchesed a motorcycle that had been sitting for 15 years and a 4-wheeler for 4 years. I was more concerned about the fuel breaking down and causing problems than the oil.
Cleaned the carbs, added fresh fuel and fired them up. Ran them a while and then changed fluids.
I guess I would have definately put those cans on the shelf for the collector value before using them or throwing them out but I stored my car every Winter for 6-7 months and drove it in the Spring, same with the boat and bike.
Now there is the E-Tec engine that never needs an oil change. How is that? Anyone know yet? I have not researched it but it must be total synthetic or run on Teflon or something.
And I have always been told and read that oil does not break down. The additives do and it picks up contaminants. Thermal breakdown involves heat and contaminantion involves moving wear debris and/or stationary contaminants such as moisture from temperature changes.
I assume that collection cars have oil in them and how often to they get changed. Anyone know Jay Leno? He should know cars. LOL
jay leno can afford to change this oil everyday LOL