The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2002, 08:21 PM   #1
BigBlockBurris

67 Power steering question

I have come across a 1967 truck with factory power steering. It is not the "gearbox" type it is the style with the hydraulic cylinder (much like a steering stabalizer). It is in excellent working condition with no leaks. My question is what is it worth? There is very little good on the truck other than PS and I was just curious. Thanks in advance.

BBB
BigBlockBurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
ThreeQuarter

I've been wondering the same. When I get my '67 back up and running I plan to keep the factory PS setup, so I'd like to know what it'll cost me. That I've seen, there haven't been any threads here about how to repair this system or where to get parts, but many threads about how to install newer style PS on a '67. That tells me there's few buyers.

The steering box is the same as the non-power assist box, 67-72, so it's very easy to find and cheap to buy (used, anyway). The hydraulic cylinder, if it's not rusty and if it's like other hydraulic rams, can be rebuilt with new seals pretty easily. I haven't inspected the pump, pulley, and pump brackets closely enough to say whether they're unique to a '67 or whether they could also be found under a 65ish and up pickup.

Sounds like something you couldn't find if you were looking for one.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 03:45 AM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

I once tried to put a '69 -style power steering box on my '67 K/10 Sub. Nothing but problems... It was always working loose, breaking 1/2" grade-8 bolts, leaking, and it even shifted the driver's side front leaf spring perch around. To top it off, it wouldn't turn left worth a damn after I modified the drag link. That killed my turning radius.[ It went from turning like the Queen Mary to the Titanic]. Finally, I had to back track and re-install the old manual steering set up, JB weld and all. This all occurred before I could access boards like this, of course. That truck is now sidelined as a low priority project for engine reasons, but when I get it back up, I will upgrade to a '69-'77 -style Dana 44 w/ disc brakes and power steering, just like on my '71 K/5.
Someone also said that Corvettes of this ['67] vintage also used the same power-assist hydraulics and that components were available thru Corvette aftermarket vendors. At the time, I had no baseline on how this '67 configuration was engineered, I just blundered into my own ambush in a junkyard war.
You can do so much with these old rigs, it's surprising when you really do find a blind alley.
So yes, a concours condition, factory production, vintage-correct P/S rig would be worth some bucks.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
tom hand
CCRider

Corvettes used that type power steering till 82, I would bet that some parts would interchange.