The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
67mbsc

Need Help W/ Title for 79 Stepside

I just bought a 79 Short Stepside, Scottsdale, that was from Texas. Last titled there. The guy I bought it from assured me he would get the title he claimed to have. Now, two weeks later, he is AWOL!!!

Does anybody have any experience with Texas about me getting a title for this? I did originally buy it with thoughts for putting it back together, (bad engine) but even if If I have to bale it, I have to have a title here lately!

It would be a shame to bale it, it has a dry step bed, good clip, doors, tach dash, A/C, AM/FM, so I'm asking for some help in getting this title dillemma resolved. Anybody has any experience with this before with Texas? I do have a tag from TX on it, that could help the search process?

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Need Help W/ Title for 79 Stepside

first thing i would do is to check with the local police department if the thing is reported stolen. The last thing you need is to be charged with possession of stolen property or grand theft auto or something.Tis better to have lost what you paid for the truck than to be busted for theft
Once it is deemed not stolen, I would check with the local DMV all states differ as to what is needed to get a truck registered and titled some places offer to get replacement titles through a more lenient state for a couple of hundred bucks if its only a blown motor its prolly worth the investment

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
67mbsc

I'm sure it's not stolen. The guy I got it from owns a wrecking yard, adn he bought it as scrap metal but kept a few buildable cars. Sold them off at auction,, which is when I bought it. I have to try to get the auctioneer on my side too, it was announced as being sold with a title.

Out of curiousity, how much is a short stepside bed worth today? This needs the wood, but the metal is good.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if its like junkyards here , assuming he had the title to begin with he has a book of some kind that he fills out the paperwork in and gives you that with the title and thats how you get title at DMV...If he lost the title then he has to go to the DMV with any proof he has for the truck and see if he can obtain title.He may not have suffucuent proof.
Depending on who the original owner is, it may just be easier to get them to go to DMV and get a new duplicate title and switch it to your name
From what youre saying im wondering if this was like an abandoned truck towed off someones land or something and there is no title and someone goofed at the auction.. Im thinking that you in worst case scenario take whatever receipt you got from the auction and if you can prove it was sold as titleable you may be able to take some kind of legal action against the junkyard to get title for it. I would hope that somewhere on the receipt it is described as titleable
As to value of the truck with all these kinds of old trucks the value is basically what the market will bear. I for one refuse to pay more than scrap value for anything not complete and running others who are described as more of an enthusiast will pay big bucks for a salvagable shell . There are members on here who sell parts for more than the whole truck costs and those who want that part desperately will pay it. Ive used all my trucks for what they are... trucks so i dont pay more that what i set my mind to for things which is kinda on the cheap side if that makes sense

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:09 AM   #5
edman87
junk collector

In a last resort, buddy up with a local shop or yard, have them hold it and file for a title to recover storage costs or abandonment. As long as it is not stolen or has a lein, it is usually no problem, just takes some time. I am not sure this goes in your state, but it does in many.
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
bodydropped

i own a salvage yard in texas and if we buy a vehicle it has to have a title no if ands or buts the state law makes us have a title no matter what. when we buy it we check for a lein if no lein then we check the vin if it matchs we pay for it other than that we have the title and the vehicle and if its stolen then how would we have the title? i have a place that probably can helpo p you get a title we have used them before since we got a truck on stoarage and traded out for a title but there really good people
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
jpoutlaw

Go talk with Motor Vehicles. When I lived in Austin, we filed for lost titles on VWs. Costs a couple bucks but it can be done. Just hope you don't have a stolen truck on your hands.

This is exactly why I never purchase a vehicle without a title -- no title, no proof of ownership.

1977 GMC Sierra Grande (350)
2004 Jeep Wrangler (4.0)
jpoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
edman87
junk collector

To bodydropped:
If you tow in an abandoned vehicle, what do you you do with it?
If you tow in a wreck, and never see the owner again, what do you do with it?
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I have a buddy who owns a junkyard in NJ. He tows in all kinds of untitled cars and trucks he gets off peoples land. Stuff thats been abandoned for years sitting behind someones barn etc.. there is no title he makes sure he gets it in the week he brings in the mobile crusher so its brought in flattened and shipped to the shredder immediately.. he gets the weight in scrap and doesnt have to worry about paperwork thats what you do when you have no title for a vehicle when you have a junkyard

I hate cancer!!