The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Luis_gz06

Whats the best way to remove harmonic balancers?

Like the title says!
Whats the best way to remove them without damaging the bolt THREADS??
Ive damaged 2 so far with the regular balancer puller. Is there another way to do it without peeling out the threads?
Luis_gz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Re: Whats the best way to remove harmonic balancers?

Rent or buy you a puller, dont use a grab puller it, it will damage the outer ring. Did you remove the center crank bolt?
Attached Images

Last edited by sneakysnake; 02-20-2007 at 02:03 PM.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
hvychve
To The Levy

Just a note, but most dont know, that wen installing, its just as inportant to use an installer, so many people hammer em on with a hammer(this causes pressure to thrust bearing) I use a harmonic balancer install kit, I suppose you could find a longer bolt with heavy washer and try and grab enough threads to pull in that way, just remember , the hammer method is a no no.
which also brings me back to how they use to do it when there were no threads at all in the crankshaft for this method, I guess hammer time was only provisions....
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Luis_gz06

yeah i removed the middle bolt. The puller i used was from autozone it looked just like the one in the pic. Since i damaged 2 already i want it to know another way to pull it.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Billla
Account Suspended

IMHO, those pullers are junk - and they can't be used for installation. The link below is for a nice puller/installer that I've never had any problems with - the threads are finer and there's a bearing...so the load on the bolts is much lighter and you're far less likely to strip the holes in the relatively soft balancer ring.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku

If you've stripped out the threads, I'd use a tap or a thread cleaner to get them in some kind of decent shape - and then use long enough bolts to get a nut on the back of it. Might be interesting to get it on, but I think you can get to it.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Bolt threads are stripped usually because you don't have everything straight. Other things to do. Use a good penetrating oil, such as PB Blaster. And give it time to soak in. If a balancer is really rusted on, start soaking it a few days before you try to pull it. Use oil or grease on the end of the crank, cuts down on the friction. If you have an impact wrench, use it. Lets you turn the bolt square.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
nvrforgotten52

ive stripped and pulled out many of the threads in harmonic balancers with that puller pictured above... so what i do is get three grade 8 bots that are smaller and slide right though the harmonic balancer holes and you should be able to get a washer and a nut on the other side. this way you can use the cheap autozone puller and not even touch the treads on the harmonic balancer
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
Luis_gz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrforgotten52 View Post
ive stripped and pulled out many of the threads in harmonic balancers with that puller pictured above... so what i do is get three grade 8 bots that are smaller and slide right though the harmonic balancer holes and you should be able to get a washer and a nut on the other side. this way you can use the cheap autozone puller and not even touch the treads on the harmonic balancer
That would be a good idea! Thanks for the tip, ill try that.