The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
combustion

Im Pissed Off!

ok, her is the deal. i have a 1970 c10 tha originally had a 307ci in it. since the motor was tired and had no compression on 2 cylinders i decided to go bigblock. i purchased a 1994 454ci that came out of an 2500 p/u. it was tbi so i purchased an eddie mani and carb and bought an electric fuel pump because the block was fuel enjected. so i put the engine together and find out that the flywheel is to large for the tranny to fit. so i swapped it out with the small block flywheel (its a TH350). as i was droppin the motor in with small block mounts like the guy at performance checkers told me, i notice that the tranny needs to be moved at least 6 inches or more back for the mounts to be able to bolt up the chassis. im pissed because the guy at checkers told me that it was gonna bolt right it and it looks like its not. so what do i do? is there any custom mounts to use? tranny mods? here is a pic so u can understand better

Last edited by combustion; 02-24-2007 at 10:00 PM.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
lamar

Re: Im Pissed Off!

No idea, but I'm sure somebody will jump in and help you out. Good luck!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
kwmech

Well first off, you cannot use a small block flywheel on a 454 bcuz of the balancing. The 454 is externally balanced and the small block internally (sans 400sb). Second what you will need is the big block frame stands, which set the engine back 1'' from the small block position. Not quite sure about the 6'' deal you are talking about.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

there are
6 cyl engine towers
sbc engine towers
bbc engine towers
for these trucks..
i also think they used a high hump floor pan on the big block trucks if memory serves

there are also different radiator shrouds needed for different engine combos.

the automatic trans cross members has to be moved with these different engine combos..

thus the different drive shafts needed..

the guy at checkers a
check the FAQ section all of these mods have been done many times here.
hope this helps..your pal mark
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Just move the tranny crossmember back to where it needs to be (assuming it's an auto tranny). They just bolt in and the frame is straight for days under the cab.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Well first off, you cannot use a small block flywheel on a 454 bcuz of the balancing. The 454 is externally balanced and the small block internally (sans 400sb). Second what you will need is the big block frame stands, which set the engine back 1'' from the small block position. Not quite sure about the 6'' deal you are talking about.
then what flywheel am i gonna use? the 454 one is too big and it wont let me fit the starter in place, nor fit the torque converter bolts
Old 02-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
Just move the tranny crossmember back to where it needs to be (assuming it's an auto tranny). They just bolt in and the frame is straight for days under the cab.
do i have to redrill holes? or they are already there? yes is an auto tranny.

"They just bolt in and the frame is straight for days under the cab"""

???????
Old 02-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage'nrat638 View Post
there are
6 cyl engine towers
sbc engine towers
bbc engine towers
for these trucks..
i also think they used a high hump floor pan on the big block trucks if memory serves

there are also different radiator shrouds needed for different engine combos.

the automatic trans cross members has to be moved with these different engine combos..

thus the different drive shafts needed..

the guy at checkers a
check the FAQ section all of these mods have been done many times here.
hope this helps..your pal mark
o ok, so i need th bb towers in order to do this swap AND relocate the tranny crossmember?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Rule #1 don’t rely on what somebody at checker, AutoZone etc. say. Always get another opinion especially if you are going to make a big purchase.
But you found us, and there’s a ton of information here. Welcome from New Mexico!

Mark, I see you have a new avatar….can I have your old one??lol
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
krue
Designated A-hole!

Just move the crossmember to where you need it and drill the holes where you need them.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #11
combustion

Quote:
Just move the crossmember to where you need it and drill the holes where you need them.
what about the drive shaft? and they guy up there said i cant use the flywheel.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #12
krue
Designated A-hole!

You're gonna need a different driveshaft if you're going from sbc to bbc anyways. Luckily it's cheaper to shorten one than to lengthen it. I don't see how it could be 6" out, there's not that much difference in the mounts. BTW what kind of tranny do you have that the flywheel wouldn't work? As far as I know the bellhousing patterns are all the same, so I can't picture the flywheel being the reason the tranny won't fit.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
xcracer

get a 153 tooth flywheel for a 454, you cannot use one from a 350...period, it will prove disastrous
xcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #14
combustion

Quote:
You're gonna need a different driveshaft if you're going from sbc to bbc anyways. Luckily it's cheaper to shorten one than to lengthen it. I don't see how it could be 6" out, there's not that much difference in the mounts. BTW what kind of tranny do you have that the flywheel wouldn't work? As far as I know the bellhousing patterns are all the same, so I can't picture the flywheel being the reason the tranny won't fit.

its a th350 like i said. the bbc flywheel is just to big for my sbc starter to go in. unless i need to get the one it came with. but the 454 flywheel is too big. the holes for the torque converter bolts are too separated.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcracer View Post
get a 153 tooth flywheel for a 454, you cannot use one from a 350...period, it will prove disastrous
so do i get that one from like a chevy truck that already came with a bbc originally of the same year?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

is the flywheel physicly too big to fit in the tranny bellhousing... ... or the converter won't bolt up to the flywheel?
I suspect it is the latter.
Big blocks always came with a TH400, the TH400 has a larget converter with a larger bolt pattern on it.
Here's a little trick i did on my caddy/TH350 deal... get a converter for a TH400, and install it in the TH350. It'll work fine.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

wow... 2 responces while I was typing.
Get the Th400 converter, and a starter to work with the big block flywheel.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:57 PM   #18
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcracer View Post
is there a specific truck or car that came with that one? or do i have to get a custom one?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:51 AM   #19
corn

Did you change trannys too? Ive had a 350 & a 396 in my 69 & it was a drop in deal, but I didnt change anything on the trans. Ive always gone by the rule that a big block will bolt up anywhere a small block will. Might not clear everything as far as valve covers & acc but the block bolt locations are the same...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #20
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed63 View Post
Did you change trannys too? Ive had a 350 & a 396 in my 69 & it was a drop in deal, but I didnt change anything on the trans. Ive always gone by the rule that a big block will bolt up anywhere a small block will. Might not clear everything as far as valve covers & acc but the block bolt locations are the same...

well. when i put the engine in it sits foward way too much thus not allowing the engine mounts to go in. some people in here were saying to move the tranny x member back so the motor mounts can bolt into place. im using the small block motor mounts right now on the bigblock. butlike i was asking. what car came with a 153 tooth flywheel for a bigblock? r do i have to get it custom. sorry im full of questions, but i need to get this done asap
Old 02-25-2007, 01:45 AM   #21
combustion

bump
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #22
1bad chevy

454 big blocks and400 smallblocks are externally balanced so you need to use a flywheel off of one of those two engines to be correct if you dont you will mess your motor up badly when you get the flywheel get a starter for the same thing and it will work flywheels come in two sizes 153 tooth and 168 tooth and the starter can be ordered for either you just need to specify how many teeth you want they both WILL fit

Last edited by 1bad chevy; 02-25-2007 at 07:01 AM.
1bad chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #23
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Like others have already said you can’t use a SB flexplate on a BB without 0 balancing the engine for it. My suggestion is to call TCI at 1-888-776-9824 tell them the engine and transmission you’re using and have them recommend a flexplate (not flywheel) with the correct bolt pattern.

If they don’t make one try B&M both of the companies are top notch transmission and accessories manufactures

As far as positions go there are two sets of holes for the motor mounts one more forward then the other, are you in the most forward position? You will also need the BB engine stand and factory ones are not cheap if you can find them. This is what I would use if I where making the conversion http://www.nwautofab.com/shop/xcart/...9&cat=3&page=1

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #24
AKChevyman
Chevy Forever

If you go to checkers (or junk yard) and ask for a starter for the 1994 chevy then you will be able to use the flywheel that came with the engine. the starter from the 350 won't work the mounting flange is diffrent. but the tranny will bolt up to the big block. 99.9% sure all tranny bell housing's are the same for chevy's now some one will point out where I am wrong on this I hope but the flywheel and torque converter should bolt together also but you can do what longhorn suggested if they don't.
Getting face lift and heart transplant .30 402 BB /TH400 and GV
Wifes car
1969 Chevelle SS 396 325hp/TH400
Factroy A/C Automatic w/ Floor shift console.
restored.
AKChevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #25
dwaite72lnghrn

First things first. Go to GM dealer and get a FLEXPLATE (2 sizes12 3/4";153 tooth and 14":168 tooth) for the 454 with dual bolt pattern(10 3/4" and 11 1/2" torque converter). Next get rid of the 350 motor mounts and get towers and mounts for a big block. Then get a starter for a Big Block.
As it sits in the engine compartment how close to the firewall is the engine now?
Make sure of the year the engine is when you get your FLEXPLATE as the 454 around early '90's were mark 4 and gen 5/6 and the balance is different.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote