The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2002, 12:20 AM   #1
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Question Titles And Vin Plates

I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND WAS WONDERING HOW ILLEGAL IT IS TO PUT ANOTHER VIN PLATE ON A TRUCK THAT IS BEING CONSTUCTED. I KNOW FRAMES HAVE NUMBERS BUT I HAVE NAVER HEARD OF ANYONE CHECKING THE FRAME WITH THE VIN PLATE. I HAVE A TITLE AND VIN PLATE TO A 72 BLAZER THAT I WOULD LIKE TO TRADE FOR A TITLE AND VIN PLATE TO A 67-72 SHORT WHEELBASE TRUCK. DON'T WANT TO GET IN ANY TROUBLE WITH REGISTERING IT. ALOT OF WORK DOWN THE TUBE OR ALOT OF $$$ TRYING TO CORRECT IT. NEED SOME DIRECTION...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:32 AM   #2
colohusker

Each state varies on what's allowed and what isn't. One thing would be that the vin's are completely different, one is a C designation, and the other should be a K. I'd stop by and talk to a sherrif or a policeman and see if they know, or call the state DMV. It could mean losing the truck if you do it without following the right process.

Just my nickel's worth...

Scott

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:51 AM   #3
68 Suburban

I wouldn't risk losing all my money and effort. Better check for sure what you are up for with the DMV. Not that you ever get the same answer twice from them
Old 08-30-2002, 07:59 AM   #4
MOTHERTRUCKERS

FLORIDA has got tuff in the last 3 years on Harleys and collector vehicles. On major parts, motor,frame,cab etc you need a title for each or a certificate of origin from the seller. Dot your i's and cross your t's before get it registered, also it seems like each county has it's own rules.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:16 AM   #5
conman

Do not change the VIN plate yourself. The state should have an inspecter that will look at your vehicle and issue the proper ID. Example here in Alabama if a salvage vehicle is fixed (a totalled vehicle) an inspector will come out and look it over. If it passes they put a salvage plate on it. At that point it is good to go.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:00 AM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

Alabama . I know two guys who could only get titles for their cars ( 30's vintage fords that they had rescued from fields ) by sending a couple of hundred bucks off to Alabama for a new title where one was issued given only the VIN number of the car. Alabama then sent them a title for the car without any inspection whatsoever . They then transfered title to washington state. Otherise washington state has a weird two year process you have to go through to get a title on an abandonded vehicle. I was going to do it with a 67 Camaro I had but a guy bought it out from under me before I had a chance. I gave him the info at the time and he was going to do it as well but I dont know if he did or not. Look in the back of Hemmings motor news. Theres always a few companies that advertise in there for Alabama title services. apparently if you have an agent in Alabama its no biggie.

Last edited by mikep; 08-30-2002 at 09:03 AM.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
Jmac05
L.E.D. Tail lights, Baby!

Regardless of what you do, you aught to do it quick. I bought my truck from an out of state owner, and lollygagged for a year before I registered it in my name. It cost me 2x what it normally would have because of late fees.
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com
All 67-72 GM Taillights are on sale untill 5 p.m. on Dec
15th, with Guaranteed Christmas delivery!

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Jmac05 is offline   Reply With Quote