The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
78chev

Is this normal?

I recently bought a 78 c10. when I bought it the steering had a lot of play and the p/s pump would squeal. So, I put in a new p/s pump, hoses and gearbox. The steering feels a lot better, but, it still squeals and is hard to turn at low speeds. Is the pulley maybe too big or is there something else wrong. Thanks for any help.
78chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: Is this normal?

If im thinking correctly iv been told when putting new steering in like the to turn the wheeel all the way to the left hold it then turn all the way to the right and hold it it should quite the squicking. Also check belt tention.

(the wheel turn idea came from my grandfather he alway told me to do it so i always have but never knew exatly what it did he just told me to when it wouls squick like that)
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

i just did a power steering pump on my 84,,it was like this,,we had to take the cap off of it, and turn the wheel back and forth several times,,it had air built up inside of it from being out of fluid for so long, and with the new cap on it,,there was no where for the air to go..so take the cap off turn it back and forth several taimes,,shut it off check the fluid level,, then do it again. agter a few times of this, you will be able to put the cap back on...it work for my truck,,but now i got a leak form the plug in the back of the pump..got to get somevody to go back in and try to tightn it up, hopefully can gewt to it with out pulling the pump..
Old 03-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
bigpig72CST

68GMC and Srubydo are both right, often times there is air in the line that will cause the pump to cavitate and squeal like you are hearing. Taking the cap off and turning the wheel lock to lock should cure this.
bigpig72CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
78chev

Yeah I did that when I installed everything but maybe not good enough, I'll try again but why would it cavitate, where would there be negative pressure?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
78chev

OK, I'm retarted, it was just a belt tension problem. Everything is working good now. Thanks for the help