The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
jkade

Let's see some different seats?

Going to have to replace the seat in my truck and was wondering what you guys have put in yours. I was thinking a 60/40 of a set of buckets from a 95 up chevy? What ya'll think? Pics Please!!!!!!!!!!!!
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:49 AM   #2
dubdeuce80

Re: Let's see some different seats?

I got a bench out of an 87 f150, I haven't put it in yet though...they wrap like buckets on the driver and passenger, no pics yet though cause I need to get them wrapped
dubdeuce80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
jkade

Ttt
Old 03-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

i just have the stock old bench but it seems to be a newer recover cause it not unconfurtable it actually really nice
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
jkade

Anyone????????
Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Everyone wants different seats, but they don't seem to get changed that often in these trucks. I suspect that it is because of the fab work needed to get them to fit the weird floor. It has so many bumps and bulges, to clear the tanks, that nothing is a quick and easy bolt-in.

Everyone seems to want the factory buckets, but they are pretty rare. I have looked through hundreds of junkyard trucks, and never seen a set of factory buckets. Actually I have never seen a set in person anywhere.

I have seen a few trucks in the junkyards with seats in them from other vehicles, but they usually are a scary looking mess of bent pieces of scrap metal and washers. I even saw one with some blazer or Suburban buckets that were held in with sheetmetal screws.

Jeff has some inof on the factory buckets on his website www.73-87.com.

Slonaker
Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I know someone here tried to put a newer seat in 95+ with the seat belt in the seat. I remember it sat really high not leaving very much head room. I think the idea was chucked after that. This has been awhile ago though.

I agree with most dont want to mess with making brackets to retro fit different seats. Or spend 1200 on aftermarket bench style setup.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #8
SulphurDave

I got word today of some bucket seats from a blazer and suburban at a local salvage yard so I'm headed over there tomorrow to check them out. Might come home with a pair and have them reupholstered to match my paint job.
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulphurDave View Post
I got word today of some bucket seats from a blazer and suburban at a local salvage yard so I'm headed over there tomorrow to check them out. Might come home with a pair and have them reupholstered to match my paint job.
You realize they are not a direct bolt-in, right? I'm not sure about Suburbans, but Blazers have a flat floor because the single gas tank is under the floor in the back. They use different brackets.

Slonaker
Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 AM   #10
84slopwaggin

I found these on my computer. None are mine
Attached Images

84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
jkade

A suburban floor board is the same as a truck right???? I found a set of suburban seats but they need foam in the bottoms and new covers. The suburban has the hump under the seats like my truck.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #12
84 400
Sb 400 club

I have seen tons of suberban and blazer buckets but always thought they were diffrent. As for the Seat idea i have been wanting to do this for some time. my factory bench is WASTED! I really wanted to rund newer 95 and ups with the belts built in but can't find a good deal. found a nice 3 bucket dal on CL but the guy wanted 1,000 so forget that. I am at the point now ere i am just gonna get my factory one fixed and hope my back feels better. Maybe i will have the shop do some contoring or somthing.

Good luck on your search.

Here is a pic of my back breaker. does anyone know were i can get the plastic peice that covers the hindg? I need to change from buck skin to Black.

sorry for the high jack
Attached Images

1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
84slopwaggin

I think the thing is in our truck the seat sits up on a hump that clears the gas tank. On top of that theres the hump down the center. From what I have seen the Suburban don't have the hump that clears the gas tanks like our trucks have. The suburban tank is in the rear. I was thinking of finding a late model bench and having it modified to fit my truck. That would be cut the part of the fram that bolts to the floor in half to lower it. Next welding a 1/2 in. piece of steel to that and drill some mounting holes into it. I wonder how expensive this would be. I myself found some seats and console out of a 87 K5 blazer at the salvage yard. I wonder what it would take to make them work. I'd still have to have them recovered to match my interior.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
84slopwaggin

I found a few more on my computer. Do you see in the pics where your thigh would be right at the armrest. Thats where it looks to be to me. It would no longer be a armrest. It definitely looks like this needs to be planned out carefully.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
SulphurDave

Here's what I found today and was stuck on which ones to get. Not sure which ones would be the best choice for fitment. Maybe you can help me decide and maybe even distinguish what seats are which.

These are the first ones I found that I believe came from a Blazer.

These were in a old Blazer police unit.

Now these caught my eye because they were already in a standard cab pickup. I'm not sure what they came out of but some of the brackets did not line up on the floor.

Some more out of a Blazer. I think these will not work because they have that hook release system on the back that allows the seat to flip forward.

And these were the best looking ones out of a 91 Suburban. I was also told that these would be the best choice to go with. They also have the armrests which are nice.
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #16
jkade

I would get the ones in the last pic from the burban. I am going to look at a set this afternoon that are in a burban.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #17
7T7
Regular guy

Heres some really cool stuff.... But it's fun to window shop.
$$$$$
Attached Images

Edelbrock MPFI, 700r4, Baer Brakes
9" F@rd rear, Vintage air, Bags etc etc..
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #18
beaterC10

You can make Blazer or Burb buckets work in a pickup with some minor work.

The parts required are two sets of pickup bench seat sliders and a pair of Burb mount tabs. You could also fab the tabs, there was a template or sketch on a post from last year here on the board.

The seat side of the bench seat sliders will need to be shortened to work with the buckets. I used the mount brackets from the Burb seats to attach the bench seat sliders to the buckets. None of this fab work was difficult, should be able to accomplish this in one afternoon using nothing more than hand tools. The only downside to this is will give you a passenger side bucket that is moveable, the factory pickup installation has a stationary passenger seat.

You could also use the Burb sliders if you heat and bend the rear of the sliders to match the pickup floor.

The underside of Burb and Blazer buckets are pretty much identical, the difference is the hardware used to attach them. I would start with a set of Burb buckets since they have the brackets you need and are high back.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #19
texan1186
Under Major Construction

that black seat in 7T7's post looks mighty familiar. does anybody know if thats any kind of factory seat? maybe one from roddoors?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan1186 View Post
that black seat in 7T7's post looks mighty familiar. does anybody know if thats any kind of factory seat? maybe one from roddoors?
Looks like a Tea's seat..I could be wrong, but it looks like their style.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #21
canadianc-10

im going to attempt putting buckets and console out of a 91 350 ss, i thot itd be easy till i realised the base of the seats is also the slider
canadianc-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #22
canadianc-10

got my seats and console in, was fairly easy only had to sawz all 2 1/2 inches off the outer risers and weld in thick angle iron. they sit about an inch higher than my rotted spring busted bench did. only thing i dont like is i would have liked them set to the same width the bench was, but the seats adjusteing handle gets in the way of the seatbelt assembly. now to wait for the new carpet to come in.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #23
84slopwaggin

Can you please go into detail how you exactly got them installed? Maybe some pics when you get time before you add carpet.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #24
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Racing buckets. I've been on 9 hour road trips, and they are very comfortable for long duration driving...not to mention comfort through the turns. I hate having to hang on to something or brace when going around a hard corner on a bench seat.

D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #25
canadianc-10

took the seats back out. carpet wont be in till late this week, had to beat the darkness so only had an hour to do both seats. im going to mess around with the base's a lil more maybe even try different seat belt assemblys, to me they look weird seeing them through the windsheild, how ever it may just be me, been long time since ive seen a 73-87 with buckets