The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

Got a whole slew of questions...

1. When your intake valve and primaries in your carb are covered in carbon, that is becuase the intake valve is openin to early right?

2. Where can i find the specs on my stock cam from my 1991 TBI 454? Here are the numbers i found, 900933, 3544,CWC,D6,15 48, C6.

3. Correct if im wrong but the points of the lobes on the camshaft should not be blue after only 1500 miles?

4. Has anybody ever been misinformed by Compcams?

5. How lucky was i that my intake was only finger tight on my motor and it manage to only suck oil into the intake and not coolant?

6. Have you ever thought you were done with something only to round the corner and find the road goes beyond your range of vision?

7. How much money do you think i've wasted becuase i did not do the proper research and went by other peoples opinions?

D@mn
The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
Speak Softly and Carry A Big Block...
There is No replacement for Displacement...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

Last edited by HvyChevy454; 08-31-2002 at 03:53 PM.
HvyChevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 04:04 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I can help with a couple things here....
Quote:
1. When your intake valve and primaries in your carb are covered in carbon, that is becuase the intake valve is openin to early right?
Carbon normally indicates a weak spark, or a rich fuel mixture. You won't ba able to avoid carbon all together on a gas powered engine, but if you have layers of crusty carbon build up, you do in fact have a problem.
Quote:
3. Correct if im wrong but the points of the lobes on the camshaft should not be blue after only 1500 miles?
While I have never seen them blue, what ever wear a cam will get, 90% of it was in the initial cam break in.
Quote:
5. How lucky was i that my intake was only finger tight on my motor and it manage to only suck oil into the intake and not coolant?
D@mn lucky...if they woulda filled with coolant, you'd have a broken crank, along with some fubard rods and pistons.
Quote:
7. How much money do you think i've wasted becuase i did not do the proper research and went by other peoples opinions?
I personally try to get both...proper research, and the opinion of the people I know on here, and at work. Then, I look at teh opinions and whom I recieved it from before taking it into acount.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 04:42 PM   #3
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

i was thinkin the fact that it was sucking oil from the lifter valley might attribute to the blackened intake ports. but at the top of the intake plenum it is clean only near the valves and the top of the carb is it black
The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
Speak Softly and Carry A Big Block...
There is No replacement for Displacement...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

HvyChevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote