The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic

Catalytic Converters and Emissions in Texas

When did the 73-87 1/2 ton 2WD trucks start getting catalytic converters, for non california emissions models ?

Reason is, I'm in Texas and trying to avoid dealing with any emissions stuff as it's just going cost money and subtract power. The law here states that any vehicles from 2 to 24 years old must be tested for tailpipe emissions. 1982 would be the highest year at this time that would be exempt. It also states that vehicles about 1984 that originally had a catalytic converter must have it in place.

I previously had a 1978 Silverado and I didn't have to worry about anything. Sometimes they'd give me crap about my open element K&N and not having the original air cleaner and heatpipe but that was easy to throw on right before getting it inspected.

I'm in the market for another truck though and trying to figure out the highest possible year I can get without having to deal with any emissions stuff like the AIR system for the exhaust or catalytic converters.

Right now I figured 1983 will be about as high as I'd be willing to go, since next year that will be exempt from emissions and it's under the 1984 catalytic converter cut off. If they didn't originally come with them up till 1987 though, I could probably just dump a bunch of alcohol in my tank to pass the emissions test, but since I do plan to tune the carb rather than just taking it out of the box and bolting it on, I'm pretty sure I could pass it although the cam I have does have a very noticable idle.

What do you guys think? Anyone else in Texas have experience with this ?
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: Catalytic Converters and Emissions in Texas

1975 was the first year of the converters in 1/2 ton models.

FWIW, my 87 passes with a cat and no air injection.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I am so glad Kentucky does not require any of that. We do not have any kind of inspections here. So we are free to do what we want. That can be both good and bad. But for me and my '86, it is good.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Cat's came in around 76. I have no trouble passing with an open air element in my 305. Where in Austin are you located? I get mine expected the corner of Bilbrook and Slaughter. My 83 came with a cat so I keep one it just in case they ask. However the datasheet from the test state that the cat is not checked!! 83 and older are the best!!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
79chevydave

my 79 failed for a leaky power steering hose, but jiffy lube didnt care that it had no cats. i replaced the hose then it passed.
79chevydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Texasdeere

I thought that Texas had the anything over 24 years old was a safety inspection only. Some of the 1/2 tons didn't have cats. My 78 with the heavy duty suspension and 454 was dualed out with no cats. (something to do with the GVWR being over 6,001 lbs) I would imagine by the early 80's they all had cats.

Last edited by Texasdeere; 03-10-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasC10 View Post
I thought that Texas had the anything over 24 years old was a safety inspection only. Some of the 1/2 tons didn't have cats. My 78 with the heavy duty suspension and 454 was dualed out with no cats. (something to do with the GVWR being over 6,001 lbs) I would imagine by the early 80's they all had cats.
There's another section where they mention that any vehicle 1984 and newer that originally had catalytic converters would be required to have them.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

in virginia i can up my truck to 10001 pound that make it a privite truck tag then makes it were it doesnt have emmissions they still complain about the cats tho. Truck is a 1986 sliverado 1/2 ton two wheel drive.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Another problems is that Travis county, Austin area, is now under emissions testing. ODBI, ODBII and anything to 82!! Anything from 82-84 is kinda in a gray area. Yes 84 and newer require cats. Federal law requires that anything from the factory with cats must have them. The inspection station will either enforce Texas or Federal standards. Either way Federal standards take precedence.
My 83 has to be inspected once I put the new engine in it. I do plan to use headers and high flow cats. I don't expect to have any problems since I'll be going to the same place. Those guys love my truck.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #10
Pyrotechnic

Yep, I live in Travis county, or at least thats going to be the home address of the truck. I really dont feel like buying a set of high flow cats though. I mean what sounds better than a choppy cam through headers and a set of flowmasters ? Catalytic converters certainly wont help that cause!

On the DPS website though, for travis and williamson county is it says all gasoline vehicles 2-24 years old will be emissions tested.