The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
Pyrotechnic

City threats to tow away my truck

My 78 is sitting in the street in front of my house. The front end is smashed pretty bad from the person who hit me head on a few months ago.

There's this lady down the street that has a weird fetish for reporting cars in the neighborhood that are in less than great mechanical shape or have not moved for some time. I know of 3 cars on our road that have been towed off an impounded because of this. I don't have any proof of this but I have a damn good hunch that it's her.

Today there was an orange sticker on the truck saying the vehicle will be removed in 48 hours.

The soonest my dads friend can come with a trailer and tow it to his barn is on this coming Monday. The sticker was placed on the truck today 3/14/07 at 1:00PM. I'm going to call the number on the sticker tomorrow and see if I can work something out with them. My dad left a message but they never called back. I'm gonna try to bargain with them on this.

Should I tell them that the truck is still under insurance investigation and it cannot be moved? Should I say that arrangements have been made to have it removed, but the earliest that can happen is this coming monday ?

What if the tow truck driver comes? The last thing I want is a confrontation with a tow truck driver, because I know it's going to get very ugly very quickly with the possibility of me getting in trouble for my attempts to stop my truck from being towed.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 03-15-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
bigtruck81

Re: City threats to tow away my truck

could always block it in...
bigtruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

yes block it in, that what i do when people cant mind there own. Iv also put it im my yard. Iv also covered it. Also had and idea to lock a chain around rear to something so if the pull it they break it and they pay.

I to have that noisy old lady problem iv had cops stop and say something and iv told them iv cleaning it up and workin on it slowly, I am only one person.
Lately shes left me alone about it cause she knows if she complain something may just make her car stop working (im on of those mess with me i mess with you people) shes been nice latley tho. Just thought i say what ive done

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:15 AM   #4
bigtruck81

i too have nosey neighbors. when they complain (usually directly to my face) i kindly remind them of the 15 year old, run down camper that sits beside their house, or in the case of the other neighbor the Lincoln that sits there on flat tires. they generally shut up. haha
Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

I love living in the country with gear-heads for neighbours, LOL
Old 03-15-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
strokd 84

Pyro

Hopefully some of these ideas work out for you. But if the tow guy does come, keep a cool head and take it easy on him. He's just out doing his job. Plus, if you're level headed with him, he might be willing to cut you some slack or a deal. Last time my ride was about to get towed, the driver let me pay him a little cash and keep my ride where it stood.

Good luck man.
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/f...let_silverado/
strokd 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

As long as that truck is parked on a public road, they have the right to tow it. Is there a way to get it in your yard or driveway? Every time the little old nosey lady drives by just stand there and give her a sadistic stare. If you do that enough, she might look the other way.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
scotto0609

If its registered and insured can they tow it?
scotto0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

If it's seriously wrecked and undrivable then yes they can tow it. All it takes is one person to complain, which has happened, and they will be on it.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

If I had cars on my street that were undriveable, smashed up, and just sitting there without being used...I too would be pissed. As a homeowner, one has quite a bit of money tied up in their house, and if your neighboring houses and area in general are turning into the slums and not being taken care of, that can hurt your home value and potentially cost you money or even a sale should you decide it is time to sell your home. A lot of people don't understand this because they more than likely don't own their own home or have thousands upon thousands of dollars invested in sometings that could potentially lose value based on the actions of others.

With that being said, I would not call the police on you if you were my neighbor, I would come talk to you in person and express my concern.

Why can't you park the vehicle in your driveway, garage, or even back yard? Is it not feasable for you to fix the truck? Doesn't your insurance cover the damages from the accident so you can get it fixed? If you truck has been sitting there for two whole months since the accident, I can totally see your neighbors point...but don't agree with how she is handling it.

People in my area can get in trouble for not maintaining their lawn...and the grass (or weeds at this point) can't be above a certain height. You would be surprised at all the stipulations and regulations pertaining to subjects like this.

Don't take offense to anything here, just giving you a different point of view to look at. If you don't own a house yet, when you do someday, it will make more sense.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Pyrotechnic

Yeah I understand the whole house value thing. The wreck was not my fault though and being at away at school and my dad working odd hours doesn't speed up the insurance process or getting it moved to a place where we can work on it. I really would like to find out who it is so I can talk to them and let them know exactly what the circumstances are and maybe come to some agreement whether it's just putting a tarp over the front of the truck or a little more time to move it. Yeah, it's been months with the truck sitting here. If whoever it was had come forward and talked to us and given us fair warning to get it moved before calling the police, that would be a hell of a lot nicer.

The accident was a head on at about 35-40MPH. Me and the offending vehicle going about the same speed. The front end is smashed BAD. The lower radiator hose is torn, transmission cooler lines snapped, flex fan bent to hell, sheet metal pushed into one of the front wheels.

Even if I did get it to the point where I could start the engine up and steer it and limp it up into the driveway. I'd still have dexcool spewing everywhere.

It is still registered and insured, but the inspection is out. Does this give me any protection if it's up in the driveway ?

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 03-15-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

In MN, you can have your truck in the driveway in that condition without any problems...BUT it has to have current license tabs on it...or you are back to square one. Contacy the county or city courthouse you live in and see what they can tell you.

I suggest getting it moved and into the driveway or back yard...pry the metal away from the smashed fender, and push or pull it out of the street.

I am sure it is only one person who complained, but I bet there are many more neighbors that would like to see it moved too.

Last edited by bigblock73; 03-15-2007 at 12:26 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Move it to a driveway or onto your lot for the weekend. That tow driver will get it unless you do. The street is his domain.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
msgross

I would try to get it moved per the deadline, even if you "strike a deal" with the city they may have already contacted the tow company as it's a done deal then.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #15
jpoutlaw

Push, pull, or drag it or the "man" will take it. Phone calls may be too late. Call your own tow truck and move it. It's worth it if you want to keep it.

1977 GMC Sierra Grande (350)
2004 Jeep Wrangler (4.0)
jpoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #16
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and the tow truck is actually from "Overhaulin" and you'll get Foosed - - SWEET!
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id move it they can and will tow it. another thought how about getting some rubber line and hose clamping a loop so the trans fluid dont spit anywhere and just limp it in.. another thought could ya put it on a dolly and push it in?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
Pyrotechnic

Man that truck could really use the Foose treatment. The truck definitely has some history and a story to go with it. They'd have a hell of a job to do though.

Oh well, gonna bite the bullet and have a wrecker take it out to the barn today. Even if it was in my driveway I still dont have a leg to stand on because the inspection is out. Found a good deal on a wrecker though thats less than the city of austin rape...err...rate.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #19
KMK454

Hm, that stinks. People are more cooperative when spoken to across the barrel of a gun. Just something to think about

My parents' neighborhood has a rule that only one 3/4 ton+ truck can be in the driveway.
1991 Camaro B4C
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #20
bigtruck81

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
My parents' neighborhood has a rule that only one 3/4 ton+ truck can be in the driveway.
Port St Lucie, FL actually passed a law stating that no pickup trucks were allowed, period. its been years ago, and it didnt last long.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #21
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

I'm with Russell. I've only got two neighbors and one of them's got a complete wrecking yard's worth of scrap cars out back of his place.

It's to the point out here that the only thing I've got to worry about with my neighbors is if I go pop some rounds off in my back yard, I might have to share targets!!

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
Pyrotechnic

Thanks for the replies guys. The wrecker came and got the truck and it's on it's way out to the barn where it can be worked on in peace.

...And to the lady down the street....$#@% YOU!!!!

I'd like to get some cheap ass car, but that will run and drive and will pass inspection. I'd paint it super hot pink and poop brown, maybe with yellow polka dots on it. Maybe a really high daytona/superbird wannabe wing riveted to the trunk too. I'd paint the wheels black and yellow checkered like the crash test cars. Whats awesome about this combo is that it's MUCH worse than an old wrecked chevy truck and they CANT DO ANYTHING about it. Too bad I dont have that much time on my hands and money to waste.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 03-15-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #23
Blue_71
Bloo

i dont know about tx, but in KY if it cant be reached from the street or your driveway, its not touchable, even to a repo man
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #24
jimfulco

Pull off the fenders & doors & hood & tailgate. Hang them on the fence in decorative fashion. No fence? Build you one. With fenders & doors & hoods & tailgates. Have a fence-raising party, with paint of many colors, and beer.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:41 AM   #25
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

that would be funny

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote