The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Hittman

1970 C20 axle swap?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting so bear with me. I recently bought this C20 from what I understand to be the 3rd owner. This is my first of this generation (I've had a few '73-'87's) and by far this is my favorite body style. The clock shows only 56K and I believe it to be true as it was an Iowa farm truck and shows very little rust. The body is super clean with only a couple pin holes coming through the rockers. The cab floors are prestine and cab corners look great too. Not bad for this area of the country! It does have a few bumps and scratches (mostly on the box - the tailgate is shot) but completely un-molested - original orange with white top and even the factory pin strip. It is a very low option beast with 350 4bbl, 4 speed, heavy duty springs - oh yeah and that pinstripe - that's it according to the VIN. No power steering or brakes. I have yet to decipher the rear end but it is definately geared pretty low. She runs like a top for a 37 year old motor.
My main questions to you fellas is how hard is it to swap axles/spindles from a half ton? I don't particularly care for the stock 16" 8-bolt rims and am somewhat limited on wheel choices. I now have a set of the factory cheap chrome rims from a 2001 3/4 ton which will improve it's appearance immensly but I much prefer the stock ralleye wheels with the right tire. My brother has a '72 parts truck with 5-bolt ralleyes. Am I correct that '72 was the first year for the 5-bolts? Regardless, I am considering the swap if I find it isn't too difficult. What things do I need to be aware of? It's got to be easier than an entire body/frame swap right? This could also make it easier for a disc brake swap too I assume? I would think the gearing would be a little higher as well in a half ton.
Ultimately I would love to have a nicely optioned SWB truck. For the time being however I thought I would play with this one for awhile since it is such a solid truck that needs very little. I am on a tight budget but would like to add some nicer features like power steering at least and I would like to trim it out like a Custom or even an CST. Anyone out there have any trim they would like to part with? I prefer '69 and up trim. I am located in the NW part of Missouri. Classic Industries and LMC have much to offer but it could cost a fortune to buy all new trim. If you guys know of any other resources I would be much obliged. I am pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to this generation truck.
Thanks in advance for your help. There appears to be a lot of valuable information available on this sight!
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
bobthecop

Re: 1970 C20 axle swap?

Welcome from Oklahoma!!

I'm not sure but I think the front crossmember with the spindles and all will swap w/o modification, not sure about rear axles, I would think you'd have to sway housings and all amd modify to fit with coil springs.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 03-16-2007 at 01:37 PM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
Bob Moore

Re: 1970 C20 axle swap?

bobthecop is very close to correct. Do a search for the front crossmember swap. It is almost a bolt on deal.

As for the rear end find one from a truck with the same type of springs as yours now has - either rear leaf or rear coil. Think about using the 1/2 rear springs for a softer ride than your existing 3/4 springs. You may need to change the rear portion of the driveline to fit the new rear end - I'm thinking the 1/2 rear will require a slightly longer shaft - the rear end being smaller/shorter. A junkyard probably won't charge that much extra as a package deal as opposed to finding out later you need it after all and making a second purchase. If you have rear coil springs another consideration is the panard bar mount. I don't know if they are the same between 1/2 and 3/4 or not.

Plan it out and ask more questions as you get closer.

Have fun & good luck - Bob
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote