The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Unhappy Help With Wheels

OK Guy's, I bought a Jeep Cherokee last weekend to up-date my D/D.
The pic below shows the wheels, ALL the wholes were black with brake dust build-up. I bought this acid type cleaner that stated "SAFE" for coated wheels but to try in a non seen area. I took one wheel off and sprayed a small area on the back and it didn't turn to a white haze. I sprayed the front side and another wheel on the truck then waited the one minute then hosed them off.
Now I have white hazed wheels

Question; Is there anything on the market to remove the haze ? I spent 2 hrs. with a buffing wheel in my drill with light rubbing compound then followed with Eagle 1 and Mother's wheel polish to no avail.

I'm about ready to bust out my sand blaster and blast the damn things or would household paint remover take the coating off ?

They looked like crap but the dust is gone and still look like crap so will removing the coating put me in the third phase of crap ?

Sorry for the long thread, Just wanted to lay all the facts out, And I did post in the detail section also.

Thanks for any replies !

88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Help With Wheels

I had the same experience with some clearcoated wheels. I'll never use anything like that again.

Nothing I did got rid of the haze, but it would not surprise me if there was a product out there that would do it. It has to happen pretty often. The haze on mine slowly disappeared, but I don't know why.

I have heard that oven cleaner removes that kind of stuff (the clearcoat), but I would only use it as a last resort. I have not confirmed this personally.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 03-16-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: clarity
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

well, if you can mix correctly yes, their is an acid cleaner that they use to clean A/C unit. It actualls eats the dirt. For the coils they use a 40/60 mix, however this stuff uses a 80/20 percent mix of acid. You can get a gallon for about 13 bucks at a registered dealer, but once sprayed on the wheels hose it off in 30 seconds, no more, also, when you spray it on, make sure the wheels are dry and not wet. this will give you a nice shine and remove haze. I know it comes in a pink color, but I forget the name at the moment. I used it at the shop alot during detailing jobs.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspecialZ View Post
I know it comes in a pink color, but I forget the name at the moment.
Thanks AspecialZ, Please try to remember the name of this cleaner !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
I have heard that oven cleaner removes that kind of stuff (the clearcoat), but I would only use it as a last resort. I have not confirmed this personally.
Slonaker
Thanks Slonaker, As I stated I'm about ready to blast them but that would leave a rough surface so if all else fails I'll try the oven cleaner for a smooth surface then try re-buffing. I found that stuff removes high heat paint really well.
97 GMC Ext. Cab

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

try never-dull-polish (if i spelled that right) i trust it on everything. It cleans and polishes it takein off many of misstakes before maybe it will take urs

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
try never-dull-polish
Thanks Srubydo,

Is this "Never-dull" polish a wadding put out by Eagle one in a small tin can ?
If not please give a brand so I can give it a try, I've already spent over $30 on stuff so a little more wont hurt.

If it is the same I put that on yesterday evening and it looked passable, Then it rained this morning and when I got in from work they were hazed again.
97 GMC Ext. Cab

Old 03-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Thanks Srubydo,

Is this "Never-dull" polish a wadding put out by Eagle one in a small tin can ?
If not please give a brand so I can give it a try, I've already spent over $30 on stuff so a little more wont hurt.

If it is the same I put that on yesterday evening and it looked passable, Then it rained this morning and when I got in from work they were hazed again.
yep, that is what he is talking about eagle one-never dull, but i didn't have luck with it either, get a brillo pad, and scrub that worked better for me, then hit it with mothers mag and aluminum polish

Last edited by 82c10; 03-16-2007 at 11:14 PM.
82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

If i see the picture right there not a polished rim but a scuffed rim. If im right try an sos pag it has metal in it and blue (thought id discribe it). normally for dishes. I use them on the rubber tires to make the white come out on the tires. Iv also used them on brush aluminum rims works well.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
strokd 84

Be careful using sos pads or any other metal cleaners on aluminum wheels. It'll scuff the heck out of polished aluminum, and if your wheels are brushed, it could scuff a new brushed pattern into it - not good either.

Oven cleaner will take anodizing off metal, so I'd say it'll take off whatever else. Be careful though. It might stain the aluminum...
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/f...let_silverado/
strokd 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82c10 View Post
get a brillo pad, and scrub that worked better for me,
Thanks 82c10, I thought a sos pad was a brillo pad with cleaner in it,
Could you explain or are you speaking of a fine steel wool ? I do have different grades of steel wool on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
If i see the picture right there not a polished rim but a scuffed rim.
Well Scubydo, I don't think they are a scuffed rim. Although they do have fine machining lines through out (kinda like a LP record) if you know what they are LOL. The inside of the holes are rough non-machined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokd 84 View Post
Be careful using sos pads or any other metal cleaners on aluminum wheels.
Thanks for the tip stroked 84.....

97 GMC Ext. Cab

Old 03-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #11
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

use the finest steel wool you have. Iv put polish down on chrome and used fin steel wool to take out the worst of messes on chrome. Sould work at the same idea cause as long as you run in the same pattern as the rim all would be will. (wonder if i have a set of junk rims i can practice on)

As for the lps yes I know what they are. My parents have thousands of them and they have some bands that i like so ill snag them from time to time and take a listen.

newest additions