The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Fuel Delivery (Pump) Question

So, I started the basic tune-up last night. Left with just putting on the new plug wires. Just one thing I was kinda curious about.

When I removed the fuel line at the carb to replace the filter (fittings were EXTREMELY tight), there was virtually no fuel in the line or the filter - - nothing spilled out as I expected. Is this normal? The filter was also quite dirty.

The main reason I am doing the tune-up is the extreme rough running of the engine which just started recently, and came on quite suddenly. The engine lopes and sputters badly at idle - almost feels like a "low fuel" situation. So when I saw the "dry" filter condition, I thought could my fuel pump be going out as well?

I have had suggestions that my fuel mix is too rich, which could very well be, and I'll be looking into this as well, but I'm just trying to cover all the potential bases.

I'll finish the wire installation (hopefully tonight) and see how she runs, but I thought I'd get a jump on asking this question.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
boatpuller

Re: Fuel Delivery (Pump) Question

i'd change the filter for sure,there cheap.as for no fuel when you removed line,that's not abnormal.if you want to tell.put the carb end of fuel line in a coffee can or pan whatever will fit and bump the key a few times.you'll see if you got fuel flow.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
68crum
Proud owner of a P.O.S.

I am kinda having the same problem. I was doing a tune up on my 81', I put on one of those Mr. Gasket chrome and glass filters near the carb. With it just idleing the filter is full of gas, crack the throttle a little bit it sucks the filter almost dry and barely purculates any gas into it. Let off of the throttle and it fills the filter up again. I think I am going to put on an electric pump this weekend.
68crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68crum View Post
I am kinda having the same problem. I was doing a tune up on my 81', I put on one of those Mr. Gasket chrome and glass filters near the carb. With it just idleing the filter is full of gas, crack the throttle a little bit it sucks the filter almost dry and barely purculates any gas into it. Let off of the throttle and it fills the filter up again. I think I am going to put on an electric pump this weekend.
Interesting - good luck with the pump install. Let me know how that goes and if you like it. Based on some of the other feed back I have gotten, I am thinking I have a carburation (possibly float) issue I will need to address. The tune-up parts are all in and I can barely keep the truck running, so there's definitely something going on.

Keep in touch.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carb regularily go empty, when the motor is shut off. Part of this is due to the heat of the engine causing a vaporization of the fuel and IF you happen to have the return line from the fuel pump to the fuel tank, then the rest is going back there. I have a glass fuel filter on my truck and it is empty most of the time, until I crank it over.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote