The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
Billhilly

Dana 44 Rebuild Questions.

So I've got my diff all apart (except diff head) and have a couple of questions for you all. I obviously have some seepage past the seals. The question is - is this amount minor, I won't do alot of 4X4ing, it will be fine for years, OR, this is a serious problem and should be fixed now as part of the rebuild? One point is I don't have a diff shop down the road that knows about these things, so would probabley have to make a spreader and do the job myself (headache + $$).
Also the PO obviously overtightened the bolts holding the hubs on and has damaged, cracked the 'Actuating Knob Retainer'. They are no longer flat on the underside, but have six 'raised' areas where the bolt holes are. Could this be sanded flat on a surface plate or something, and reused? Or again, do they really need to be replaced, can you still buy new ones?
Can't get my words between the photos, but here they are.

Bill.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Dana 44 Rebuild Questions.

you can get the hubs for that thing anywhere.the dana 44 was probably the most common 4wd front axle used. a set of warn hubs probably wont kill you on price. and seeing as how yours are cracked i would get new ones. those cracks will begin to run and eventually will make a mess of that hub.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
cableguy0

i just realized your in new zealand your probably going to have to order the hubs and have them shipped i dont know who is going to be willing to ship to you though.somebody here on the board might be willing to ship you a used set depending how much of a pita customs is
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Billhilly

Thanks cableguy, I had a quick look around, and I should be able to pick up some second hand hubs from somewhere for sure. Nobody alse want to comment on my diff seals? Anyone ever replaced them themselves?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Eichorst69

Replace them while you already have it apart. I just replaced mine, they only cost me $7.88 ea. Very easy !!!
Eichorst69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
jerry moss
Born Psycho

to replace those inner seals, you need a "case spreader", otherwise it's a pain in the a$$. i did the ones on my 72 super several years ago and it was not fun.if you decide to tackle them----be extra careful not to damage the new seals while you're installing them.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #7
Billhilly

Thanks Guys, looks like I'm making a spreader and finding some seals! Well, when your truck is in a thousand pieces, whats a few more bits........ I'll post some more pics soon.