The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
crawdad

That "Nose Dive" Look

I'm looking at getting another SWB 86 Chevy. I've been looking at two different trucks. Both same year, same model, same wheel base, same everything. One looks like it sits level, the other looks like it's doing a nose dive. Rear end sits up much higher than the front. I've had two of these trucks in the past, one had the nose dive look and the other sat pretty level. Owners of the two trucks say they are stock. Question is why do some of these trucks look like they are getting ready to plow the corn field with the front end and others look like they are sitting nice and level? Just curious.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Eyegore
What Hump?

Re: That "Nose Dive" Look

Air shock in the rear and worn coils in the front I guess
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Look at the number of leaf springs on the back. A single spring difference will make serious change in attitude (altitude on the rear of a truck)
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Did someone say nose-dive?!

That is a pic of my truck, taken about 10 years ago, after my 4/4 drop was installed. As you can see, it has quite a bit of rake, having a HD rear suspension and big-n-little tire combo didn't help either. If I had known this when I purchased my drop components, I would have done a larger drop in the rear. It has been corrected this time around.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Did someone say nose-dive?!

That is a pic of my truck, taken about 10 years ago, after my 4/4 drop was installed. As you can see, it has quite a bit of rake, having a HD rear suspension and big-n-little tire combo didn't help either. If I had known this when I purchased my drop components, I would have done a larger drop in the rear. It has been corrected this time around.
That is exactly the way the one truck I'm looking at sits. Nose down - rear end high. The truck is stock according to the owner. I didn't count leafs on the trucks, so I don't know if there was a difference or not between the two. I know front coils wear but didn't think they would get to the point they would drop the front end like this. Maybe it is the rear suspension set up (# of leafs) that is the difference.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote