The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2007, 06:00 AM   #1
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Cool For guys that like skerts

I dont care for 'em!

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
liljon285
That Guy

Re: For guys that like skerts

hehe Wow never seen one with them and now i have, their not ugly but diffrent.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
68Stepbed

Yup, there's one like that running around here except it's burgundy and gold. Skirts need to stay on old school street rods, not trucks.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

There is one with fender skirts I see in my neighborhod every couple of months. It looks like it has every accessory on it that JC Whitney ever sold. It isn't my style, but it is a VERY nice, clean truck. I need to talk to the owner some time.

Slonaker
Old 03-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
hiway
Mad Scientist

Talk about a blast from the past! I'm suprised it doesn't have a spot light on the pillar and curtains in the back window.

86 1/2ton on tons! sbc/465/208/D60/14/35's
81 Postal....with 468 bbc
97 Merc Marq comuter
07 Suburban
02 Danger Ranger
hiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
boatpuller

might look better if matched up.but,i'm gonna have to call that fugly.with a capital F.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
Zilverado
Account Suspended

EEKS!!! Call me a purist or even a bit of a red-neck, but that is not my style AT ALL!!! Although, the truck does look nice and clean, and I can even get into the light green (I think) colour...

My thoughts - - lose the running boards, fender skirts, bug deflector and even the fog lights... Now flip the tires (maybe go a little bigger) to black wall or solid white letters out, and you're getting somewhere.

Just my $.02.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

personally i like the truck.

Like most people the skirts not me or the running board (trucks not high enough to need one) other then that id leave it alone tires are ok but like Zilverado said they do need a different tire but thier livable tell they were out.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
There is one with fender skirts I see in my neighborhod every couple of months. It looks like it has every accessory on it that JC Whitney ever sold. It isn't my style, but it is a VERY nice, clean truck. I need to talk to the owner some time.

Slonaker
I seen a couple of those in the past as well. They also seemed to have all the bells and whistles. Must be a styling thing ...

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
boxrodz

I got a 'vision'.

Lose the step bumper, the trim around the rear wheel wells, the running boards, the mirrors, the step bumper, bug deflector and the stock grille insert. Then, weld in the fender skirts, extend the lower bed trim across the fender skirts, add a sport bumper, a couple of spot lights, a windshield visor, triple tip lakepipes and a modified '50s style grille insert. Sling it to the ground and add some wide whites with caddy caps. Then, smooth it out and give it a poppin' dark paint job.

Presto, a '70s PU style of a '50s Merc 'shoebox' leadsled.

Now, where's that digital photo editor ...

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...

Last edited by boxrodz; 03-30-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

NOW that sounds nice. Who what to build one? Or at least photo shop one, oh what boxrodz you photo shop stuff. If your not to busy one id say week cause that sounds hard can you make one with the computer id love to see it.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 03-30-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I have also seen a few around here but always older men driving them and I would say these men are from the 50's era hot rodding days and also had the skirts on there cars. They (skirts) were very popular back then. Not really my taste on trucks. Those skirts he has on his truck does not look like it was made for that truck.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS

Last edited by 86swb; 03-31-2007 at 03:29 PM.
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
79underconstruction

yea never saw skirts on a truck like this and i hope i never do again
79underconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #14
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
I got a 'vision'.

Lose the step bumper, the trim around the rear wheel wells, the running boards, the mirrors, the step bumper, bug deflector and the stock grille insert. Then, weld in the fender skirts, extend the lower bed trim across the fender skirts, add a sport bumper, a couple of spot lights, a windshield visor, triple tip lakepipes and a modified '50s style grille insert. Sling it to the ground and add some wide whites with caddy caps. Then, smooth it out and give it a poppin' dark paint job.

Presto, a '70s PU style of a '50s Merc 'shoebox' leadsled.

Now, where's that digital photo editor ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post

NOW that sounds nice. Who what to build one? Or at least photo shop one, oh what boxrodz you photo shop stuff. If your not to busy one id say week cause that sounds hard can you make one with the computer id love to see it.
Alright, Srubydo ....

I had a chance to do a mild custom chop.

WARNING: This isn't for the 'strong at heart' or the Purist.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #15
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Good work, Boxrodz, as always. However this visor just don't seem right, how about something along what liljon285 has on his truck? This one:

Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #16
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

After looking down through these responses, I guess this is why they don't sell many of these skirts anymore for our trucks.

Not that I disagree, though. They're hideous.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #17
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

not my cup of tea...*shrugs*

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Thats awesome If i had the casha nd time id do that to my truck. But mines a 86 guess ill have to get a 70s truck. no problem the more the better.

I like every thing about that picture i would change a thing. IM not a big red guy but it looks great in flat dark red.

newest additions

Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #19
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Alright, Srubydo ....

I had a chance to do a mild custom chop.

WARNING: This isn't for the 'strong at heart' or the Purist.
I didn't think I would like that, but I do...

Slonaker
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #20
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

bufugly!

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #21
fourty1

.. not to offend to ANY one,,.. but some people should just go fishing or play golf....
in other words.. ' Do It ' , just don't ......' do it ' SO badly....
-41-

1967 Chevy 3/4 ton standard bed, 350 cu./400 auto,
w/ 83 - 3:43 rear end...sips gas....
fourty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #22
boxrodz

Yup, definately not your popular, mainstream, or run of the mill 'sport/street truck', 'hot rod', 'custom rod', etc...
In fact, many truck (as well as leadsled) enthusiasts probably have trouble with it, hence the WARNING.

Many times, it's 'unpopular' (or 'incomprehensible') to take styling cue(s) from one era and try to 'make it fit' that of another era, especially if it's too extreme.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #23
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan D. View Post
Good work, Boxrodz, as always. However this visor just don't seem right, how about something along what liljon285 has on his truck? ...
Ivan -

Yeah, the shape and profile liljon285's visor would probably look better. But, the idea was to extend the profile of the roofline beyond the windshield to function as a visor as well as to give the impression of a chop top. Even though the top has been chopped 'bout 2". Then, extend and tie in the SS trim on the rain gutter around the edges of the visor.

A few other changes could be applied as well... smoothing (or modding) the side markers, modestly frenching in the front markers, and inserting some type of 50's bullet style grille in place of the chrome strip insert to match the caddy caps and the spot lights, ... just to name a few.

And, of course, add another disclaimer.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #24
wklink

Fender skirts are one of those things that work only on a small percentage of vehicles.

Skirts look good on my 62 T-bird, they look good on old Impalas or on classic 50's cars. I can't imagine any good reason to put skirts on a normal pickup truck. I'm not talking about show trucks, they are not really 'trucks' in the true sense of the word. That's not a slam on show trucks, they are something for people to look at and enjoy, not something to dump 2X8s into at Home Depot.

I didn't even realize they made fender skirts for pickup trucks, I cannot imagine too many people actually spending hard earned cash on them.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #25
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklink View Post
Fender skirts are one of those things that work only on a small percentage of vehicles.

Skirts look good on my 62 T-bird, they look good on old Impalas or on classic 50's cars. I can't imagine any good reason to put skirts on a normal pickup truck. I'm not talking about show trucks, they are not really 'trucks' in the true sense of the word. That's not a slam on show trucks, they are something for people to look at and enjoy, not something to dump 2X8s into at Home Depot.

I didn't even realize they made fender skirts for pickup trucks, I cannot imagine too many people actually spending hard earned cash on them.
I agree but there is a thin line betwwen show and show with still go. Around town i have seen old truck completely restored and still people put lumber in the bed or furniture (ofcourse they take many precausions not to scratch it with sheets and such). Also there was a picture here some time ago that had a one ton duel sitting about 3 inch off the ground, but behind it was a car trailer with a car being towed. (usablity with style)

Just a thought i agree with what you said. Cause there mightbe only 5% of people that will ever put something heavy in the back of restored truck.

newest additions