The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Bad Dog

Angry Could use some help??

I have a question about my truck, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I own a 1970 c-10 with a 307 c.i. v8 and automatic. My question deserves some history first. About 6 mos ago, I went out to the truck and turned the ignition key and for the first time I got NOTHING in response. As most of us already know, this could be the start of something bad. I proceeded to do absolutely nothing in terms of fixing the truck because from that point on if I just turned the key enough the solenoid would engage and the truck would turn over. Each time I did this though it took longer. I just figured it was the starter / solenoid so I'll unhook the battery, then the ground on the starter, then the power wire with the two mounting bolts and replace the whole unit at once and its fixed right.....NO ! I went to the local AutoZone for a test of my second rebuilt starter and it was not passing their tests. I picked up the ' deluxe ' rebuilt AGAIN and reversed everything I mentioned earlier with the battery cable going on last. I went into the cab and damn it if the problem had not changed at all. I have checked every wire I can see, and since the truck has NO options at all, its pretty basic. Hell, it it was a six banger with a stick shift then it would have NONE of what was offered by chevy at that time. so my question is, what would stop the starter from doing its job??
Bad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
superjeer

Re: Could use some help??

I have the same problem, but I figure it's my switch because if I bridge the poles in the starter it turns over just fine

'72 Cheyenne LWB, Dark Olive.. gone.
Others02 Sienna XLE, 1998 Mercury Tracer Past in order of exit 04 xB RS1, 04 xB BCP, 87 Sciorrco, 97 Safari, 95 Contour, some dodge stratus, 87 Nova notchback, 87 Nova 5 door, 84 Z28. 81 C10 LWB 305
http://www.elmiradhc.com/
http://elmirahockey.com/
superjeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Sonny

Replace the switch. They are easy to replace. The hardest thing is getting the connector off the switch.

New Project: 67 Small window SWB

2006 Crew Cab Silverado LT

Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
67cruiser

Sounds like just a bad ignition switch.

67 C10 SWB
350-Turbo 400 tranny-Disc brake
"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"
67cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
Bad Dog

thats why I like this board. In almost NO time I received credible answers to my truck mechanical question. I calmly walked away from the truck last evening before the sun went down, and killed any chance of dependable illumination and proceeded to go over the entire situation mentally with a fine tooth comb in attempts to figure this thing out. Here is what I have come up with as of late.... 1). Re-check all possible connections that could cause the starter to not even click in response to a key turn. 2). Realize that it may actually be a bum starter from Auto Zone and prepart my self to return it if need be since this is the last item in line to turning the flywheel. 3). Do the whole flat-blade screwdriver accross the terminals on the starter to go around the ignition this week to verify it is the ignition and second to last item in line to turn the motor over. I have tested the positive wire going to the starter and it is getting power. I may have to drop the under dash aftermarket A/C unit that does not work and this should reduce the clutter and obstruction to the ignition key assembly unit. Any advise on where the purchase the key entry ignition unit would be appreciated
Old 03-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

and one other thing when was the last time you had your starter tested and when was the last time you changed your battiery cables
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Have you tried wiggling the shift lever a little bit while you have the switch turned to start? This could very well be just a well worn neutral safety switch which is mounted on the lower end of the steering column. The starter circuit runs through that switch, (the big purple wire). Wiggling the shift lever a bit may line up the contacts in the switch or you could unplug the purple wires from the switch and put a jumper wire in them and try to start it. If it starts you have a bad safety switch or it just needs some adjustment.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
Bad Dog

Good points felow members. The truck has a floor mounted auto trans that obviously was an after market hurst addtion. I should not have to worry about a neutral switch safety wire problem. The battery is one year old, and I just replaced the positive cable to the starter. Since you mentioned it ' stsalvage ' I have not replaced the ground wire for the battery yet. I will do that a.s.a.p. As I may have mentioned earlier, I practically wore my wrist out turning the key all the way to the right trying to start the truck the last time, a couple of days ago. It started up well, with the starter turning quickly. I drove it around the parking lot, let it warm up and charge for a minute * even though the battery was fine * then parked it were it forgot to tell me it was done for the duration. Thanks for the 's guys.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
superjeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Have you tried wiggling the shift lever a little bit while you have the switch turned to start? This could very well be just a well worn neutral safety switch which is mounted on the lower end of the steering column. The starter circuit runs through that switch, (the big purple wire). Wiggling the shift lever a bit may line up the contacts in the switch or you could unplug the purple wires from the switch and put a jumper wire in them and try to start it. If it starts you have a bad safety switch or it just needs some adjustment.
whoa.. jeesh, I'll try that too

'72 Cheyenne LWB, Dark Olive.. gone.
Others02 Sienna XLE, 1998 Mercury Tracer Past in order of exit 04 xB RS1, 04 xB BCP, 87 Sciorrco, 97 Safari, 95 Contour, some dodge stratus, 87 Nova notchback, 87 Nova 5 door, 84 Z28. 81 C10 LWB 305
http://www.elmiradhc.com/
http://elmirahockey.com/
superjeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
neonlarry

Quote:
The truck has a floor mounted auto trans that obviously was an after market hurst addtion. I should not have to worry about a neutral switch safety wire problem.
Maybe you don't have to check the N/S switch but I would check out how (wiring) the PO bypassed that switch.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
JHART
1972 Shorty Owner

Location: Stationed in Cali , born and raised in PHX Arizona.

I'd say try your control module. Its in your ditributor under the rotor if memory serves me right. They are real cheap, like less then 10.00 bucks. Also you might want to have your battery tested, it may not be putting out enough cranking Amps. Just a few i deas.

I'm no expert by any means but i dont think its your switch if its turning over. Sounds like a power issue.

-Good Luck.

Last edited by JHART; 03-28-2007 at 02:34 PM.
JHART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
Sonny

You can buy the ignition switch from just about any parts store. You can reuse your original tumbler. If you want to replace your tumbler and key you can pick them up at just about any parts store too. The ignition switch (GP Sorensen S55 $14.44) and the tumbler and key (AC Delco D1499A $10.88) are pretty cheap from Advance Auto Parts. Yeah, I would check the neutral safety switch too. I have the Hurst shifter in my truck and the purple wire is jumpered. Good Luck finding your trouble!

New Project: 67 Small window SWB

2006 Crew Cab Silverado LT

Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

It might be good to think about what's happening (or should be) when you turn the key to start the truck.

The ignition switch provides power to the starter solenoid, which in turn provides power to the starter motor to turn the engine.

Since you say 'nothing' happens when you turn the key, and after messing with it, it starts, the problem is probably in the ignition switch and solenoid circuit. The started motor isn't involved yet...

There are 2 wires running to the starter solenoid combination. A large one directly from the hot side of the battery to run the starter, and a smaller one to the solenoid to engage the solenoid. The ground is provided by the starter being bolted to the engine, which should have a good ground. There is no ground wire to the starter, or solenoid itself that I know of.

You might try running a temporary ground from the negative battery post to the starter.

Now try to start it. If it works correctly, its a bad gound.

You might also make a long wire with alligator clips on both ends using #12 or #10 wire. Now connect one end to the small wire on the solenoid, crawl out from under, then touch the other end to the battery positive terminal. Have it in park, the E-brake on, etc. when you do this!

If the starter turns as desired, the problem is in the ignition switch circuit. Possibly a bad switch, loos wire, etc.

The good thing about these tests, is that they're cheap, and don't require much effort like pulling the started. My kind of tests.

Sorry if I was long winded...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

if the NSS is bad ... then the starter wont turn at all .... right??

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Correct.The switch can cause it to not even turn over.
The easiest way I have found to see if the switch is the problem is to unplug the plug on the switch and plug in a new one and try to start it.If it starts then I go to the trouble of installing it in the dash.Just saves problems installing something that may not fix it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #16
dls69cst

You can check hot wire at starter with key on with volt meter need 12v.
Mine did this and was getting only 1.5 volts wire was broke but hard see because insulation on wire was still ok.
Good Luck..