The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Brake Hose Problems

Well, I've noticed the last few times I've been driving the truck it seems to want to pull up when I let off of the gas. It has also started shaking a lot the last few times I drive it, but not all the time. I drove it to work the other day and when I got to work my pass side front rotor was blue. Now, don't make too much fun of me because this is what was on it when I bought the truck, but it originally was an all drum brake truck. When I bought it somebody had already done the front disc brake swap, but I don't know what year they used. They also kept the DRUM brake hoses which I noticed but didn't change figuring that they stop the truck. But now I think that may be my problem. I've posted a pic of both sides of my disc brakes, original hoses, and also every RIGHT brake hose that CHEVY made for disc brakes from 71-87. The only one that doesn't have a bad angle to even fit on the right side caliper is the 71-72 hose. Any thoughts???
Attached Images

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
C10 Club Tennessee

Re: Brake Hose Problems

The last pic is part numbers from Brakebest brake hoses, which are carried at O'Reilly auto parts.
Attached Images

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The problem is that you can't just swap to the 71-72 hoses. Here's why...

On a drum brake truck, that is through 1970, the brake lines come off of the rear of the front crossmember. On a 71-72 the front brake lines come off the front side of the crossmember.

You have two basic choices...

1) run new brake lines from the prop valve to the front side of the crossmember, weld on the brake hose tab, then run 71-72 hoses.

2) Buy the special conversion hoses from ECE for 55 bucks a pair and leave your brake lines as they are.

I went with number 2 last time I did that conversion.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
C10 Club Tennessee

Kevin,

I think you are confused, or maybe I am(most likely). The swap's already been done, but I think the PO just kept the original drum brake hoses and used them into to go to the caliper.

I've been driving the truck like this for 2 years. Hell, I even drove it to Maggie Valley last year(650 miles round trip).

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

Bryan I have solved your problem, give me 45 minutes I will be down there and we will trade straight up the grand prix for your truck, see? Problem solved, since the GP came from the factory with 4 wheel disks you will be in even better shape than you already are, and the brake lines are run perfectly correct on it. You don't have to thank me, just trying to help out a friend!

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter

I understand what the previous owner did. Mainly, if you'll look at the hose as you turn the steering wheel lock to lock, you'll see it gets nearly kinked at full lock. The stock disc brake hoses for all these trucks used a banjo bolt on the end. They come off the caliper sideways rather than straight in. This alleviated the kinking problem you're dealing with now.

The ECE hoses I mentioned use a normal banjo bolt end and go straight back, then curve over to the fittings on the back of the crossmember. They're not kinky...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
AR15DEFENSE
Resident Absorber

I don't have an answer to your "which hose" question, (I am in the same predicament currently) but you are definitely on the right track. a collapsed hose will create those symptoms. Inspect your rotor and pads as well, they will probably need to be replaced.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
C10 Club Tennessee

Kevin,

Just to make sure we are talking about the same hoses are they these????

03-6490

Sorry, the pic is so small

I work at an auto parts store(O'Reilly's) Are you sure I can't get these from work??
Attached Images

www.gmtruckshow.com

Last edited by 5150; 03-30-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter

That looks like them. You'll need two banjo bolts too. On the end, you'll need an adapter between the hose end and the metal line. Drum brake trucks used different size lines. I got the last adapter at O Reilly as a matter of fact, in those little plastic pull out drawers in the back with brass fittings in them.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
C10 Club Tennessee

Yes, I know those pain in the ... drawers very well. I can get the banjo bolts at work also. I ordered the hoses this morning.

Thanks for the help,

Bryan

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 03-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Dave67

Hey, Tx Firefighter, can you help me out?
I bought the braided hoses from GMC Paul, and they do seem a little long. Do you, (or anyone) have a pic of how the lines run in front of the control arm? I think I might just cut off the mounting tab and re weld it, but I want to make sure I run the hose the way I need to.
Thanks!
BTW, this is for a '67 with '71 control arms and spindles.
13 Silverado crew cab
08 Trailblazer (wife's)

Pittsburgh, PA
Dave67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
C10 Club Tennessee

Okay, well I just got my hoses in today and put them on. No leaks or anything everything seems to be okay EXCEPT my brake pedal is as easy as....well you know. I could blow on the pedal and it would go down. The new pads haven't grabbed the rotor yet. I can move the outer pad back and forth between the caliper and the rotor.

I wouldn't think that I screwed up the master cylinder, but with my luck. Do I just need to bleed the brakes and see?

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 04-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #13
C10 Club Tennessee

ttt

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #14
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I had olmost the same problem for my 1972 3/4 ton with front disc brakes man they are hard to come by the cost is good at 14.00 apeace but where on back order i'm thinking of buying a few sets and putting them on ebay and sell them for 25.00 a peace cus shipping and back order wont take so long LOL and 1971--72 are the same 1973--87 are diffrent i have a 1977 3/4 ton front end and the 1971--72 wont fit nor will they mount up the same way
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Bryan,did you bleed them already?Can you get someone to push the pedal while you watch the plunger action?The caliper could have gotten hot and now is hanging up.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Tx Firefighter

I actually run 3/4 ton and 1 ton hoses on my half ton trucks. They are around 1 inch longer than half ton units. I like them because my drop spindles tend to put the brake hose close to everything. The extra inch makes all the difference. I get mine from 67-72 vendors. I use Kennystrucks in Tulsa myself. www.kennystrucks.com. About 50 per pair last set I bought.