The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Moline

Looking to decode a serial number

Hello all.

I've been looking through the site the last couple days. I had a guy sell me what is supposed to be a 68 chev shortbox fleetside pickup the other day. The truck has been in the process of being restored as the front end has had the bodywork and been painted but the box hasn't been touched yet. The frame has already been painted as well but the engine hasn't had anything done to it and i don't think it runs. The interior of the truck has been gutted, except for the wiring is still in the truck and the guage cluster was on the floor. It looks as though it has just been primered on the inside and the rockers have already been replaced.

When i bought the truck, we went to get the vin number and we found it on the floor of the truck. It looked as if it was removed while being primed i originally thought. The guy has had the truck sitting outside in plain veiw for the last year for sure maybe more. His last name is familiar so i'm thinking that the truck is not stolen.

I've been searching the vin number and i just noticed tonight that it comes up as a 70, not a 68!. Now i'm wondering if this is the correct vin card for the truck. When i do a vin decode i cannot find out how to figure out original wheelbase, motor size, and tranny for the truck through just the vin. I am told that it can be done though.

I really want to make sure that the vin is for this shortbox as shortboxes are very hard to find up here. And for the future to restore the truck i would want the numbers to be right.

The vin number is CE1401141600

Can anyone help me out or point me in the direction Please. Thanks.
Moline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
short69

Re: Looking to decode a serial number

I'm pretty sure the VIN does not tell what the wheelbase is. I think the only place it is marked is inside the glove box door on the SPID sticker. But as far as matching up the VIN #'s, you can also check the frame right by the steering gearbox, sometimes the VIN is stamped on there too. I had some problems with mine too because the title said mine was a '67 but the truck was really a '69.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
72armyswbtruck

Probably just had the front clip changed out.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
72armyswbtruck

Oh yeah and another way is to call GM and get a restoration packet. they are free and will list tons of stuff and all they need is your VIN number.
Do a search there was a post on the resto packets before with the phone number
Old 03-31-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

CE1401141600

C= conventional (2 wheel drive), E = V8, 1= 1/2 ton, 4= pickup body, 0 = 1970,1= plant [Oshawa] the other six digits are usually the serial, starting with 100,000.
There will be a VIN stamped on the frame also. It's on the drivers side, near the motor mount, and will be less the CE letters. They should otherwise match, or you'll know the cab was swapped. A loose VIN plate is not a good sign. The proper "daisy" shaped rivets to attach it to the door frame are very hard to find and were expensive.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 03-31-2007 at 04:14 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Moline

I found the numbers on the frame. On top of the frame rail just forward of the motor mount stamped into the steel. the numbers were 1107295. This is a couple numbers shy of the vin number less the CE. I'm confused. can anyone help me out please?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

your frame doesn't matchthe cab, and the cab isn't a 68
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
Moline

How do i determine what the frame is from? How can i find out the year and such? Is there a way to order a new (same as frame) vin plate?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

1) The frame is probably from the Oshawa Canada plant: "1". "7295" is serial sequence.
2) Not enough information to determine frame year.
3) No legal way to produce a new VIN plate. That would leave the way open for a lot of fraud and hot car opportunities.
My frame is stamped 8Z123XXX. That's 1968, Fremont plant, serial number. So you need eight digits. First one is year, second one is plant [letter in US, number in canada], next six are the production sequence. You've only listed seven. Is there another digit under some mud or rust?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-02-2007 at 03:41 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Moline

I had a really good look with pretty decent light. There was hardly any dirt or rust on the frame. All i could see was seven numbers. I am human and i might have missed one, but i really did have a good look. There are no other numbres stamped right in that area is there? I didn't loook at the wrong number completely?

Ok. So, if i can't determine what year the frame is from, what do i do? Is there anything i can do for a vin number if the truck was to be restored? Without the original vin the truck is worthless?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Rod

Well its not worthless... just not worth as much to some.
Frames have some slight differences between the years but there not that easy to see to an unfamiliar eye.

if it looks like an original disc front brake suspension its probably 71 or 72.
A frame without the cuts on the top frame rails to accept a BB engine would be 67.
That same frame number you saw on the frame is in other spots also, same side rail, typically under the cab area ....so look around the frame figure out the missing first number and that will help ID the year.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.

Last edited by Rod; 04-03-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
chevy_632
chevy_632

Anyone know what a 6 stands for for the sixth digit in my VIN i know it means the plant it was made at but i cant find a plant with a 6 anywhere..its for my 62 belair..any addvise i would appreciate...thanks
chevy_632 is offline   Reply With Quote