The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
neverfinished

Trucks with visors

For those of you who put visors on your truck, have you noticed a lot more wind noise at highway speeds? My truck had the visor on it when I bought it and I think it's causing about 80% of the wind noise that I hate so much. I don't mind the way it looks but the level of noise is not something I'm willing to put up with.
neverfinished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: Trucks with visors

Dont have a visior, but what i used to do when i didnt like a noise on a vehical im driving i just turn the radio up louder

Other then that id check to see it it vibrating or if it loose. Or see what part of it make the most noise on the visor. I know my old vent windowsused to make all kinda noise the seals were bad so i had to replace them.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
benoit454
Chris

I've had them on I don't know how many trucks, never had any wind noise problems.

I'd look elsewhere like weatherstrip or something.

Or if you still wonder, take it off, drive truck w/o and see if it's better. it may be directing the wind to a location that leaks like the front windshield or something.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
neverfinished

I took it off this weekend, it was the culprit. I think it's because it was hollow on the underside and had a nice lip to catch the wind.
neverfinished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
benoit454
Chris

That's how they are all made.

I never had a problem with them and wind noise.

Personally IMO after having a truck with them, one without just looks wrong and incomplete to me. I've had one on every truck we've had in the last 10-15 years. Except for my old 76, but it was in bad shape anyways.

I was thinking it would direct the wind over and into the vent windows, tops of doors or main glass which wasn't sealing good.

The only wind noise we ever had was with the windows down, up it's perfect.

Plus I think they advertise them as being aerdynamic letting air flow up and directing it up and over the cab inbetween the mounting locations. I could be wrong though.

If it stopped and you like it without then I'd say leave it off.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

nope, mine screams regardless....(not wind)

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote