The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2002, 06:43 PM   #1
LAP

Unhappy Just got tagged!

I just wrecked my '71 4x4 SWB! Some old lady was coming off the interstate and her brakes went out and she tagged me on the front right fender. To make things worse was after I did my 360 she hit me again on the back rim. Both me and her are okay. Her car, an old Town Car, exploded parts all over the road. Her bumper was on the other side of both her and me???
All anybody could say was "She sure was a pretty truck!".

Now for my question. I really think my truck is valued at about $13,000 from what I see on ebay and here. What do you think her insurance will pay, will they try and give me a few thousand and try to total it or actually pay me for what it would cost to get fixed?
72 C10 Cheyenne
-----------------------
Slaughter, La
LAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

If you don't have an appraisal form stating the value, then they are gonna total it and give you blue book. I hope you kept good receipts on the rebuild, because it sound like you just got FU*@ED Hard. Good receipts are the only way to fight their decision to total it. And even with them they are only gonna give you depreciated value on the parts. Say if your whells cost you 2000 two years ago, they will give you 800 as depreciated value replacement today. And the same goes for every other part on the truck.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:16 PM   #3
HotRod929

That sucks man. Really sorry to hear that.

HotRod
Dana 60 w/ 4.10 gears AND Powr-Loc POSI
New Additions:
Summit Headers
135amp alternator
Proform HEI
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb
Sunpro Tach
Powr-Loc POSI
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
MSD 6A Ignition Box

AIM: HotRod929

Visit My Site: http://1970chevy.netfirms.com/
HotRod929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 07:57 PM   #4
minibike

I have been discussing this with my Insurance man, and you have to have it insured for a stated value on the policy to get more than blue book. You also would need an appraisal. Even this won't guarantee that you will get the stated value.

If it was insured as a normal chevy truck, at replacement value, you may be in a bind.

With good receipts, they may work with you, but I doubt it. Sorry to here this.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 09:23 AM   #5
Woody

Way back in 1990 I was involed in a wreck with my 69. It was the other guys fault. His insurance came out and was going to total it. I said NO!! I got a local trader and high-lited several like optioned 67-72 trucks to show what the replacement cost would be. Also I looked up the book value of my truck in a book called "Cars of peculiar interest'. They gave me $2200 for the damage after they knocked off a few hundred for the bad paint on my truck (had some primer on the rear quarter where it was hit). You should also get an appraisial of the truck for the value of it not wrecked. Reciepts and anything else to show $$ you have invested. Have the damaged appraised for repair by 2 or 3 high dollar body shops. Don't accept their check until you are happy with the amount. If your truck was in really good shape (good paint and all) insist on NEW GM Reso. parts not used. We all know parts are availible. Once you accept their check and cash it they don't owe you anything. If this doesn't work start talking about a getting a lawyer, medical costs (damn my neck is still hurting......), they will come around. Good Luck
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:18 PM   #6
umrebelsfan

Find a lawyer in your state and talk to them. Tell 'em you want to pay them for an hour's consult. It will be the best $150 (or less) you ever spent towards getting max value.

You are lucky she is insured. If she is at fault she has to make the truck right or it has to be totalled out and you will get the fair value of the truck. You won't get the truck back as well. Note you won't get the value to you, rather you will get the fair value of your property that she damaged. If your truck is a pristine example of the breed and worth $15K and you can prove it, either she or the insurance company will pay the $15K and be glad she didn't hit a year old Lexus.

Insurance companies don't like paying claims. When they get by with paying blue book they do so. But you know what else they do? They pay blue book excellent alot of times when the car was a blue book fair. You know why? The blue book is somewhat objective but they don't want to take a chance their insured will claim bad faith failure to pay over the difference.

Tell the adjuster you will make him a deal. If he can find a truck int he same shape as yours for any money less than what he has offered, you'll let his company keep the difference. All you are entitled to (unless you were hurt) is the value of a truck like the one that was hurt.