The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Play the AutoZone game

Recently got a "Rewards" card from AutoZone. Spend $20 or more and get 1 point. Get 5 points, get $20 bucks. You only get 1 point per day no matter what you spend over $20. Since I'm converting to disks, I'm grouping purchases in $20 lots. I drive by the stores all the time and its too cold out (again) to work on it yet. By next weekend it should be warm enough to start.

Buy one set Inner/outer bearings, $23. Tomorrow, buy other set on way past store. Etc, etc, etc. In a few days, get brake hoses for free. No special trips to AutoZone, no extra expense.

No particular opinion on AutoZone, but free parts is free parts.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
combustion

Re: Play the AutoZone game

Ive gotten 2 of those already.. if you are gonna buy 2 items at the same time that are 20 bucks or more, just buy one, walk out and come back and buy another one. that way you get 2
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
pcmcobra

lol,
I just went today and bought some rattle can for some pulleys, and a new tensioner pulley.
+1 point...gotta get a few more small things,
you are right, free is free.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
Ole Blue 68

Just a note. I was over there last weekend and picked up one of the new cards and the guy who helped me was telling me that with these new cards, if you return any parts, the amount of the return is automatically deducted back off your card as well so you lose the points.

Apparently people were scamming with the old paper cards. They'd buy a bunch of stuff, get their cards punched enough times to get the free gift card and then return the merchandise. Now that is really free stuff!
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
projectking

So many times I have been close to spending $20 and had to buy a pop or hotwheels to bump the total up. LOL
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Blue 68 View Post
Just a note. I was over there last weekend and picked up one of the new cards and the guy who helped me was telling me that with these new cards, if you return any parts, the amount of the return is automatically deducted back off your card as well so you lose the points.

Apparently people were scamming with the old paper cards. They'd buy a bunch of stuff, get their cards punched enough times to get the free gift card and then return the merchandise. Now that is really free stuff!
This might be able to be used to your advantage. I pulled one over on Summit last year ... basically, at 500 summit bucks points, you get a $20 certificate. Unintentionally, I purchased a radiator that pushed me from 480pts up to 520pts (or similar). A week later, I got a $20 Summit coupon in the mail. Two days after, I found the radiator fit horribly, so I returned it. While I was at it, I purchased a new radiator that was $50 less - so my points went back to 480pts returning the one radiator, then up to 517 or something with the new one - a week later, I got another $20 cert in the mail.

That radiator didn't work out, so I returned it as well, and picked up all of my fuel tubing/hose/fittings for my EFI setup, and once again, on return, points went down to 480, then back up to 503. one week later, another $20 gift cert.

I felt a little shady about doing it, but it was genuinely unintentional. Still haven't had a chance to use all three, but ... I did use two of them - I justified using one of them as reimbursement for the tank of gas I wasted after their parts guy gave me the wrong Lokar cable on one trip, then the wrong radiator on another one. So, I know the add'l Summit bucks cards are good...this is just a flaw in their system.

I just joined up w/the Autozone club when I got a new starter to fire up the LS1 in the truck. $140 starter.... +1 point. Ugh!!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
pat

I didn't know they were still doing the cards. Last time my card had about 4 punches in it when I lost my wallet..
Old 04-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

Free parts isn't enough to get me into autozone.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
shifty
Questionable

They are using a little keychain tag with a barcode on it now. I was doing the punch system also, but apparently people were punching out their own cards and getting free parts.

Now, when you buy something, they use their barcode scanner to scan your rewards card, and you get the credit in the system automatically

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Its about time they did that, If they would only have done it a few years ago I would have saved mucho dollars....I ve got a $20 credit now and its oil change time.......

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
AO50

I thought it was $10 for every 5 purchases now? I hate autozone though, they always order the wrong parts when they don't have them in stock.
AO50 is offline   Reply With Quote