The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
rickf

those vents down on the kick panel

You know those vents, down by your feet, one on driver side and one on passenger side. Does anyone ever open those? I opened mine once, it was about 1983 I think. So much dust and debri went flying about, I never opened them again. Now I'm looking for a place to mount some speakers. Cutting any holes in the door or elsewhere is not gonna happen. But there's those vent holes, looks like a candidate. Anyone ever hear of yanking the vents and mounting speakers there?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:48 AM   #2
mnky30

Re: those vents down on the kick panel

why not weld a small plate in side and then mount your speakers in that area that would keep out the air and dust.
mnky30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
rickf

I want as much speaker recessed into the hole as possible. I'm thinking either cut up the vent "door" assembly and use the mounting rim to weld a box to, or maybe just make a box out of fibreglass/epoxy.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

trust me you want them there i use mine on really hot days it colls your feet down and lets air in if you don't want the windows rolled down the reason for the dust and dirt look where you window motor is look on eather side thats all the crap from the window and water gose you put anything in them holes with out making another place where the water can go you will have a short in your fuse box or a fire or you will never have much of a dry floor in your truck if you looking to put some sounds in your truck and want some speekers the dash speeker they naw make a dual kenwood speeker that gose in the dash 110 watts trust me it will be enough speekers to make you happy make sure you use some type of cloth to go over the dual speeker to keep the sun and dust and dirt out of the speekers them self and just enought to make them breath

go to

www.truckandcarshop.com

there about 109.00 shipped and they bolt up to where the old factory speeker was and sounds good and it ecohs throw the truck andf its Laud for 2 Kenwood speekers on a peace of carbinfiberand you will never alter your truck and its cool nobody ever sees them or knows what you got
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
slepysal

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh use periods !!!!!stsalvage nice point, but man the run on sentance is killing me!!!

Last edited by slepysal; 04-08-2007 at 11:50 AM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
19GMC63

unless you have AC, I wouldn't do it.
Most vendors sell a kick panel w/ a built in speaker that doesn't cover the vent.
Along with the upgraded dash speaker stsalvage mentioned above, it would be good enough.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
71chevylowrider

I don't have AC & I would suffer greatly without those kick panel vents, they work good! I say blow all the crap out of them with an air hose & next time you go for a cruise, enjoy some fresh spring air for your feet!
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
rickf

Thanks for all the input. I saw those speakers while surfing truck stuff one time. So y'all are giving them the thumbs up, eh? I might try it, I like bolt-on solutions.

Lik I said, I haven't opened those vents in over 20 years, I just open the wing window to "scoop" mode if I nee the breeze. But since you're giving those vents such high marks, maybe I'll try them again.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #9
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

go to www.truckandcarshop.com and buy the dash dual speakers there made by Kenwood and there 110 watts per speaker and trust me it will be enough speaker to make your truck sound sweet and they bolt right in above your radio and remmber put somthing over the speaker to protected it from the sun dust and dirt and crap trust me at 220 watts of power it will echo and make the truck come alive for 120.00
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
Chevy Fleetside

I used the vent door frames for speakers. I put plexiglass on the backside and one on the front side and cut a hole for the speaker in the plexiglass. I bolted it back up after. I removed the doors and saved them if I were ever to put it back. Here is a picture of it.. Well the finished product anyway.. The other thing is when you are sitting iin the truck you can't see the speakers.. I threw in a few other pics of what is behind the seat also..
Attached Images

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 04-13-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote