The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done? Easter edition.

I had some great plans for the weekend. I was going to pull the 77 out and give it a good clean up, then take it out to the local cruise spot.

Unfortunately the weather was against me. Friday was awesome, but Saturday it was 50 and raining. So I took my daily driver out and had the tires rotated. Then I returned a battery for the core charge and spent the rest of the day doing nothing.

Today I did manage to wash on of my trucks before the family arrived. After that it was brisket time. Of course we had way to much food, but that's a tradition around here.

We had a blast watching the little ones find the eggs and make a mess with all the prizes that came out of the eggs.

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: What did you get done? Easter edition.

Well i managed to get the front sway bar on my 86 silverado then to grease everything up, also found out 31s will totally fit on my 86.

I also fix my belt breakin issues i was on my 3 alternator belt sent the engine was built (back in my black 86). Other then that i still need to get the tranny leak fixed and take a look at the steering gearbox. And get the tital in my name but having issues there.

What did you get done?

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
poolboy65-ls1
iamthepoolboy!

I drove the 81 to a local truck show Saturday.
Black primed 81 Silverado SWB one owner rust free all original 106,000 project. Steel cowl hood, 89/91 front grill, Blazer tailgate trim, sport rear bumper, 5/6 Drop, 17" Eagle Alloys, Big block is on the stand! COMING SOON: one piece glass, and more.
poolboy65-ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
vern350
like a rock

got my 86 shortbox stripped and dragged home another camaro, an 86 for parts. Got 3 of the damn things.
vern350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Got my truck running once again! Also cleaned up the car's trunk, and cleaned up the apartment real nice. I'd say a very productive weekend, lol
Old 04-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
1987 Shortwide

Oh boy what a long weekend!

Friday I gutted the factory wiring out of my dad's 63 impala, it'll be replaced by a new Ron Francis unit...

All day saturday and part of sunday I had a vinyl job to do. Did racing stripes on a GTS Viper. Owner was happy so that's all that counts!

Also bought an Aeromotive A2000 fuel pump for the '87 and a set of 18" charcoal wheels for the '99
New wheels: (18" nissan titan take-offs)
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.

Last edited by 1987 Shortwide; 04-08-2007 at 11:41 PM.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #7
SCOTI

Left work early Friday for opening day @ The Ballpark (Rangers vs. Boston). It turned out to be the coldest opening day to date.

We stayed @ a hotel right by the park to avoid traffic & trouble. Sat we got up to head to the swap meet over in Ft.Worth @ LaGrave Field & we encountered a white substance fluttering around in the air that's basically unknown to the majority of Texans.

I picked up a blazer tank to swap into my beater & also grabbed a spare glove box door to play around with....

Today was quality time w/the kiddo & then off to my GF's parents house for egg hunts, food off the grill, & some friendly 'gaming' (I lost $27, the kiddo walked away w/$81 ).

Not much actual work commenced this weekend so hopefully next week is more productive.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-08-2007 at 11:44 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:03 AM   #8
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

I did a lot of driving around today....prior to coming to work (still here currently). ate lunch with my car club, at the club leaders house, went back to my room, took a 3 hour nap...then proceeded to work as a good soldier does :-)

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I had big plans, but didn't get much done. The cold rainy weather prevented me from doing stuff to the vehicles, plus we were busy with unexpected company. I did get to gather up some of my late father's stuff for a swapmeet later this month. What a joy, selling off my Dad's stuff.

Slonaker
Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Eyegore
What Hump?

Finally got my truck through emissions, well I had to take it to a mechanic who got it through after new cat, egr and carb adjusting it finally made it.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

My truck's brakes had been squeaking something awful for the last couple months after getting the pads replaced at a local chain brake place. Been back twice since then to complain about the squeaking, but nothing ever got fixed from their "fixes". They said that as long as it was stopping OK, it wasn't an issue. It was getting to the point that it was embarrassing to drive, which sucks for a daily driver.

Saturday, I finally got PO'd enough to spend $12 at O'Reilly's to get some new pads and changed them myself, which I probably should have done to start with. Brakes now work as good as before, but completely silent. Much better.

Sunday I mowed the grass in jeans and a sweatshirt because it was mid 40s outside. I've never worn more than a t-shirt and shorts to mow grass in my life. Got done, hung around with the wife and kid.

Had a good weekend.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
boatpuller

bought a junkyard sway bar,now i need some lowered brackets.also fabbed a cover for the back of the fuse block ,to cover the ugly wiring there, that can't be put into tubes.i made it out of a stock heater deflector vent,turned out cool and is made from period correct late 70's plastic.removed my wiper motor and filled hole.i could post a pic of that cover if anybody is interested,i'm sure if you tried cleaning up a firewall you've been faced with that.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
also fabbed a cover for the back of the fuse block ,to cover the ugly wiring there, that can't be put into tubes.i made it out of a stock heater deflector vent,turned out cool and is made from period correct late 70's plastic.removed my wiper motor and filled hole.i could post a pic of that cover if anybody is interested,i'm sure if you tried cleaning up a firewall you've been faced with that.
Yes, I would like to see it, as I have been tossing that idea around in my head for a while too.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Russell
Professional Grade

I bought a new truck, a 1982 GMC Diesel Jimmy K5, and promptly tore it down to replace the torque converter and flywheel.

The converter's bolts came loose, and backed out, destroyed both the converter and the flywheel in the process... I was doing good, found that the truck has a removeable hump which makes the job WAY easier, and was in the process of dropping it when the stupid dip stick fell out, and made an ATF lake under my truck, DOH!

That made me rather annoyed, but I had my trouble light under the truck and when the AFT spilled out, some landed on the bulb and exploded it, so I got a new one to put in, and the stupid bulb shattered in my hand for some reason.

So, I spent the next hour picking glass out of the dozens of little papercut like wounds in my hand, and decided I'd had enough for one day... Have I ever mentioned how much I hate automatic transmissions? Stupid things break a lot, make a mess when you pull em, and are downright awkward to try and manouver from under a truck

Oh well, I've got an apartment suite to finish painting today, so I'll finish it up either tonight or tommorow... You guys can expect pictures shortly aftewards...

It is a really nice truck though, thing has like 50 000 or so miles on it, the diesel runs beautifully, and the truck has an almost mint interior, less the dash pad. Literally has every single option available in 82. I bought it off the original owner, who was selling it cause she figured that the crank broke, and that was the noise she heard when the converter bolts backed out.

Only problems with the truck, less the converter is the typical rust for this area, since the truck was used primarily in the winter, and a broken wire for the tailgate window, which I'll have fixed tommorow.

I know of a beautiful bare 1980 Jimmy tub sitting on a 2wd frame, that comes all new factory sheet metal for the front clip, still sitting in the boxes, no drivetrain or interior, all for 800 bones. I'll likely pick it up next weekend, and eventually put the tub on the 82 to replace the rusty stuff, use my spare 88 clip to replace the front, and paint it flat black, then put the front clip stuff away to use on my 80 sometime...

Big plans, lots of time, next to no money :P

Last edited by Russell; 04-09-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #15
Captain Knievel

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
...Unfortunately the weather was against me. Friday was awesome, but Saturday it was 50 and raining. ...
Against you? 'Round here, 50 and rainy is spring-like conditions.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
bmartin9122

I got my classic plates registered at the DMV and installed.
--Carriage Works billet grille model 40071
--Go Industries 2.5" tubular stainless headache rack
--Sylvania Silverstar sealed headlights model H6024ST
--Texas Saddlebags center console model 101
--Brown's Welding class IV V-5 pipe bumper
--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires
bmartin9122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
bought a junkyard sway bar,now i need some lowered brackets.also fabbed a cover for the back of the fuse block ,to cover the ugly wiring there, that can't be put into tubes.i made it out of a stock heater deflector vent,turned out cool and is made from period correct late 70's plastic.removed my wiper motor and filled hole.i could post a pic of that cover if anybody is interested,i'm sure if you tried cleaning up a firewall you've been faced with that.
As low as your truck is, you could by-pass the 'lowered' sway-bar brackets. Just drill some holes in the frame & bolt the bar directly to the frame rails. I've done both my 68 & 74 that way w/o issue.

What are you going to do about wipers w/o a wiper motor? You do live in a rather moist climate . . . ......
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #18
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I bought a new truck, a 1982 GMC Diesel Jimmy K5, and promptly tore it down to replace the torque converter and flywheel.

The converter's bolts came loose, and backed out, destroyed both the converter and the flywheel in the process... I was doing good, found that the truck has a removeable hump which makes the job WAY easier, and was in the process of dropping it when the stupid dip stick fell out, and made an ATF lake under my truck, DOH!

That made me rather annoyed, but I had my trouble light under the truck and when the AFT spilled out, some landed on the bulb and exploded it, so I got a new one to put in, and the stupid bulb shattered in my hand for some reason.

So, I spent the next hour picking glass out of the dozens of little papercut like wounds in my hand, and decided I'd had enough for one day... Have I ever mentioned how much I hate automatic transmissions? Stupid things break a lot, make a mess when you pull em, and are downright awkward to try and manouver from under a truck

Oh well, I've got an apartment suite to finish painting today, so I'll finish it up either tonight or tommorow... You guys can expect pictures shortly aftewards...

It is a really nice truck though, thing has like 50 000 or so miles on it, the diesel runs beautifully, and the truck has an almost mint interior, less the dash pad. Literally has every single option available in 82. I bought it off the original owner, who was selling it cause she figured that the crank broke, and that was the noise she heard when the converter bolts backed out.

Only problems with the truck, less the converter is the typical rust for this area, since the truck was used primarily in the winter, and a broken wire for the tailgate window, which I'll have fixed tommorow.

I know of a beautiful bare 1980 Jimmy tub sitting on a 2wd frame, that comes all new factory sheet metal for the front clip, still sitting in the boxes, no drivetrain or interior, all for 800 bones. I'll likely pick it up next weekend, and eventually put the tub on the 82 to replace the rusty stuff, use my spare 88 clip to replace the front, and paint it flat black, then put the front clip stuff away to use on my 80 sometime...

Big plans, lots of time, next to no money :P
put the 4 wheel drive interior , and stuff into the 2wd

well,wednesday i think it was, i removed the po's amp wiring kit out of the car, then friday i removed the tach, and spare wiring a po had left in it(didn't go anywhere, it was electrical taped up, but it was still getting power, saturday i worked, then went to my friends house and started throwing things into a fire, and helped another friend take out the driveshaft out of his coupe, and put another one in it, then bs'ed about cars as always, then yesterday they picked up a fox gt vert, and we will work on it this week, and hopefully get the capri up, and running by the weekend
Old 04-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #19
SSC's76
No No

Got my break in oil changed out for some nice mobile1. Took the locker out of the rear end so I'm back to a one wheel wonder. Sure is nice to be able to turn and back up without clickty pop pop. Been eyeing some new shoes for the truck but waitng for the total bill for having the gearbox rebuilt on the harley.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #20
pcmcobra

had easter dinner w/ family, watched the kids hunt eggs, other than that...absolutely nothing.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #21
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
As low as your truck is, you could by-pass the 'lowered' sway-bar brackets. Just drill some holes in the frame & bolt the bar directly to the frame rails. I've done both my 68 & 74 that way w/o issue.

What are you going to do about wipers w/o a wiper motor? You do live in a rather moist climate . . . ......
man. you got that right.beyond moist,more like rain forest .it's not a daily driver,just a drive on good day toy.been doin alot of underhood,firewall tidy up type stuff.and my son said since you never drive it in the rain why don't you get rid of that ugly wiper motor.we did and i like it.hopefully i don't get caught in a shower.i'm kinda an old hotrodder guy,i've had others without wipers,rain x works wonders.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #22
jr2

Saturday I got the "Orange Ma-cheen" running and drove it around the neighborhood!! Whoo hoo. It sounds awesome! Now all I got to do is tie up all the loose ends to finish it up.. The list is long but it should go quick

Sunday I sat around and ate more than my fair share of food!!! And did nothign else.

Quote:
I wanna see!! was trying to figure out what to do with that area. Just made a quickie cover for the area around the heater hose outlets. They sure ar eugly where they poke out of the firewall...
-1967 Nova 2dr HT & a couple others...

Last edited by jr2; 04-09-2007 at 07:36 PM.
jr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #23
jr2

Quote:
Boat,

If you mount your swaybar with the standard drop mounts it will be a nerf bar for curbs?? Just do like Scoti said and I did and mount it right to the frame like this:

Finished product tucked up nice & tight!

Then you only have the lower control arms as nerf bars.
-1967 Nova 2dr HT & a couple others...

Last edited by jr2; 04-09-2007 at 07:32 PM.
jr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #24
SmittySmith
'82 GMC Sierra Classic

Got new upper and lower balljoints installed on the truck as well as a new idler arm. Fresh black paint on the rallies, and cleaned and polished the center caps and beauty rings. New tires and a new front end alignment. Detailed the inside, and got some fresh wax applied. Drove around listening to Creedence Clearwater for an hour. Yep, it will probably rain tonight!
SmittySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #25
strokd 84

87 shortwide - the stripes on the viper look awesome! Would you be interested in doing some custom vinyl work on a motorcycle? I want to swap colors on my graphics. Let me know...

I had the pleasure of working on my buddy's little brother's car. He's 16 and quickly learning why we don't buy Fords. First it overheated, so we replaced the thermostat and water pump. Now it doesn't over heat. But, the check engine light comes on, so we replaced both 02 sensors. The second one near the firewall was so tight that my girlfriend was the only one who could get her hand in the hole. We got them replaced, but the light is still on...

Wish us luck.
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/f...let_silverado/
strokd 84 is offline   Reply With Quote