The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
2bits

Tranny leak question

I have never seen this before but I took my 250/400 out for it's first street drive and it ran great but when I got it back to the house, the firewall was covered in tranny fluid and it was dripping down the outside of the dipstick and all over the tranny. If I got the lines backward would it do this? It shifts perfect, and I know I am not too full on fluid, should be about 1 pint low actually. I have the top connection on the radiator going to the top connection on the tranny and bottom to bottom. Is that right for a 400?

I guess it could be shooting up from where the dipstick goes into the tranny but it would have to be spraying to do that to get that high and the back spark plug cable it totally dry. The tranny line itself could be leaking... there is a metal connector in the middle of one line but I made sure to tighten it, but the O ring might be bad... It just looks like it is coming from the dipstick, is this even possible? If that never happens, I'll just replace the lines, it has rubber sections in it up near the radiator anyway, so they weren't going to be on long anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of that kind of freakyness before.

'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

Re: Tranny leak question

A COMPRESSION FITTING CAN BE OVERTIGHTENED !!!

the Ferrel can crack if over tightened.
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
sjarrett71

The 4x4 I traded off recently did the exact same thing to me the morning I took off to drive it 150 miles to trade it. It started smoking real bad at a stop light, I got out and saw tranny fluid everywhere, this was less than a mile after getting started. It appeared to be coming out of the dip stick tube. It had never done that before. I turned the truck off and let it cool down. I started it back up and no more leak. I drove it the 150 miles without a problem. Still don't know what it was.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

There is an o-ring that goes on the dipstick tube where it goes in to the transmission. Not sure if this could be the cause, but it's something to check. Good luck!
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
72hotrod

Vent tube on top of trans might have a dirt dobber plug. Might cause a fire if you get oil on hot exhaust. Just run a piece of wire into it about 1 1/2 inches to unplug. Be sure not to overfill.
72hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
Film Guy

I built transmissions for Cadillac for 15 years and I have seen this before. Only in THM400's. What happens is the pressure regulator gets stuck in the pump and causes the pan to fill up with fluid. Fluid has no where to go so it overflows up the dipstick tube and out all over everything. This is a real fire hazard if not addressed. The fix? Replace the front pump with a rebuilt one. Usually under $30 in parts. Labor will be more unless you can do it yourself.
Film Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
2bits

Well film Guy I *Thank God* it's not that for my own sake haha! It is a newly rebuilt tranny with less than 100 miles on it and it was running good with the old engine in it. I also sealed the o ring for the dipstick with a little silicone so it should have a good seal too.

And even better... I solved the problem! I was sitting around thinking about it and I realized it was only 7:30 and I planned to replace the lines anyway so I might as well do it. I went and picked up two 5/16 brake lines from the auto parts store. I got them installed pretty quick and took it up to the car wash and washed off that area and took it out for a drive. I drove it a pretty good distance longer and at a decent speed around 40 most of the time getting it up to around 55 a couple of times, and getting on it pretty hard a couple of times too (for the first time too ). I got it home and there was a little fluid around but mostly water, and nothing dripped at all, and the new lines are dry. I bet I tightened that compression fitting too tight.

That's one way to get me to replace the lines haha! Thanks for all the help guys!
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote