The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
68Stepbed

3" drop springs ?

Is it safe to use 3" front drop springs in 73-87 trucks? I know they're not recommended in 67-72's because they are too short and can come out. Has anyone ever used them and had any problems? I'm thinking of getting some, but want to make sure.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
boatpuller

Re: 3" drop springs ?

matt,i'm not sure.but ,iv'e got 3 inch drop spindels and 1 inch coils and i'm as low as i care to be.iv'e driven suspension lowered vehicles for 30 years kinda got a sixth sense for high spots.iv'e posted before where i don't think i could run over a fair sized cowpie without dragging lca's,but hey,them lca's pay the price sometimes for looking cool are you wanting to run those instead of drop spindles?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
slugish
Slugish

Wink Re: 3" drop springs ?

Have 2.5 in drop spindles ( OR MAYBE 3 IN. got them from AIM Industries, chassis tech brand ) along with 3 in drop coils ( eichbach I think) 2 yrs driven regularly with no problems. Dont always drive on smooth roads either. Rides a little bouncy but dosent bother me. Hope this helps
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

What determines how low the lower control arms will drop when the truck is in the air (thus whether the springs will fall out or not) are the bump stops on the upper control arms. Springs fall out because the LCAs have too much negative travel, limit that by installing some bigger bump stops in the upper control arms.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
85_SWB

ive had 3" coils since last fall and i havent had any problems yet
although, when the front is jacked up, the spring is loose
the reason i went with 3" coils is because they are a lot cheaper than spindles but now i want to go a couple inches lower in the front and the only way is spindles. so if you think you might want to go lower later i would get spindles and leave final hight adjustments to coils.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
68Stepbed

The reason I was asking is Summit Racing sells 3" drop springs for 73-87 trucks for about $75 and 2" springs for $85. I want to lower my truck a little in the front. I like the way the rear sits for now. I need to lower it with springs because the front end is uneven. The pass. side sits higher than the driver's side. spindles are a better way to lower but they won't fix the uneven problem. 2" springs would be perfect and still give the truck a nice stance with the size tires I'm running. I just wanted to ask about the 3" springs because I would consider 2" rear shackles also with them.

Does anyone have pics of trucks with 2" front springs only? I would like to see the approx. ride height.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I wouldn't waste money on 3" coils. Go ahead and start with spindles because you will want to go lower and will have to start over. Do the spindles now and save yourself a headache later.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
The reason I was asking is Summit Racing sells 3" drop springs for 73-87 trucks for about $75 and 2" springs for $85. I want to lower my truck a little in the front. I like the way the rear sits for now. I need to lower it with springs because the front end is uneven. The pass. side sits higher than the driver's side. spindles are a better way to lower but they won't fix the uneven problem. 2" springs would be perfect and still give the truck a nice stance with the size tires I'm running. I just wanted to ask about the 3" springs because I would consider 2" rear shackles also with them.

Does anyone have pics of trucks with 2" front springs only? I would like to see the approx. ride height.
Well if you're not quite sure on the exact ride height you're going for I think I have a very cheap solution for you - pull yer stock springs and cut one coil off each of them, it should give you right about 2" drop and is absolutely free! This way after you put them back in you can see if you like the drop, and change (or not) yer springs purchase plans accordingly. When cutting the springs DO NOT use a torch as its heat will damage the spring, a high-rpm angle grinder with a cut-off wheel works very wheel but you have to still watch it not to make the ends of the springs red-hot.

If you think cutting springs is unsafe - it's been done many many times by the DIY folks, as long as you're careful and don't overheat the springs you'll be just fine. Heck, if you like the way it rides and looks you may even decided to keep it like that, there are several people over at FSC who ride with a 1-coil-off front springs, and damn near everyone with a full-size Ford car who wants to lower it does the exact same thing without adverse effects.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan D. View Post
Well if you're not quite sure on the exact ride height you're going for I think I have a very cheap solution for you - pull yer stock springs and cut one coil off each of them, it should give you right about 2" drop and is absolutely free! This way after you put them back in you can see if you like the drop, and change (or not) yer springs purchase plans accordingly. When cutting the springs DO NOT use a torch as its heat will damage the spring, a high-rpm angle grinder with a cut-off wheel works very wheel but you have to still watch it not to make the ends of the springs red-hot.

If you think cutting springs is unsafe - it's been done many many times by the DIY folks, as long as you're careful and don't overheat the springs you'll be just fine. Heck, if you like the way it rides and looks you may even decided to keep it like that, there are several people over at FSC who ride with a 1-coil-off front springs, and damn near everyone with a full-size Ford car who wants to lower it does the exact same thing without adverse effects.
i agree with ivan,i remember when cut coils were the only way available to lower,they work fine if you don't over do it.i wouldn't go more than 1 coil. hell,we used to heat them up on some buddies beater and then pile on the hood till it sunk to just the custom level was that safe? probably not.nobody ever got hurt from that though.only thing that ever died from those days was alot of brain cells cutting a coil will be a cheap way of seeing if thats the look you want.but if your going to be catching the lowering bug do like ervin said.

Last edited by boatpuller; 04-12-2007 at 12:55 PM.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote