The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
benoit454
Chris

Those with factory rubber mat.

Ok I know some of you must still have the factory rubber floormat or whatever it's made out of.

So my question is how to you keep moisture out? I've had 3 trucks with them, and all they do is sweat and get water/condensation under them. I'm worried this will rot my floor out. It's been there since 84 I guess, and they are still perfect, but I'm afraid with water there they might start rusting.

On our old 86 k10 I undercoated the floors with duplicolor spray on undercoating. That seemed to work well, as far as stopping it from rusting but it still had water under the rubber.

I ask because I want to put in carpet, but not sure if I want to leave the rubber in and carpet over it, or just remove it and put in carpet.

Only thing I do know is I want to keep the floors in great shape like they are now, and have carpet.

Now it's not a leak from rain, nor a heater core, because it had water under it when it was sitting outside, in the dry and under the carport sometimes, but was warm during the day cooler at night, and without having the truck running. Like I could wipe it out and it be back later. I never did that but I figure it would have.

So any ideas? You guys just leave em alone? Leave it in and carpet over? remove it and then put in carpet? or another option like sound deadening or insulation?

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Eyegore
What Hump?

Re: Thoose with factory rubber mat.

Move to Phoenix - it's a dry heat.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Re: Thoose with factory rubber mat.

take the rubber out...lay down an insulation mat (JC Whitney is the cheapest Ive found), then proceed to laying carpet. the insulation mat is actually SUPPOSED to keep moisture to a low. worked for my 83 *shrugs*

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:58 AM   #4
chevyowner

Re: Those with factory rubber mat.

Remove the floor mats and lay them out in the sun for a few days. use a vacuum to get the water out. Take the car for a professional interior cleaning if all else fails. its really important to keep chevy truck accessories like floor mat or carpets dry at all times to avoid unwanted smell inside the car.
chevyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
beaterC10

My 86 has the original rubber mat with the factory jute padding beneath it. The floor has some surface rust at the seams, but overall is in pretty good shape. The truck spent most of it's life in KY and I live in IN.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
edman87
junk collector

I would think the insulation would hold the moisture in. I am putting 1 in my k5 , but putting herculiner on the floorpan first! Then insulation and then rubber mat. I think it will be safe that way. I am in Louisiana, so the condensate from the high humidity kills.
Get in touch with me in 20 years and I will let you know how well it worked!
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a

Last edited by edman87; 04-20-2007 at 04:58 PM.
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

slick thinkin edman...your idea has me planning to rip my carpet and insulation out next payday! lol

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
benoit454
Chris

I also thought of undercoating it or doing it with por-15 or something so it won't rust.

Mine are near perfect, mint, but I want them to stay that way.

Umm I know how to keep it clean and dry, nd odor is not an issue, as I said I can dry it out today and probably be wet tomorrow. So that doesn't help. I just wondered how it got by all theese years like that.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

hmm so you might need some kinda powder that doesnt allow moster to start. hmmm i think i need to go on a hunt

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
KMK454

Benoit, just looked at your car domain at the black 86, that thing is awesome! I love it.

I still have the factory carpet in my cab with the rubber floormats... I don't really notice them getting moisture underneath them, but then again I think it's a number of things that contribute to it - door seals, window seals, and keeping the truck garaged. Sorry I really can't help
1991 Camaro B4C
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

when i ripped out the ripped one out i put down rubberized undercoating on the floor then i put the insulation on then the new mat

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
benoit454
Chris

Thanks KMK, we got rid of the 4x4 though, but I have my monte carlo, the red s-10 got totalled in a wreck, and I sold the silver camaro.

All we have now is my white monte carlo and the blue 84 which isn't on my cardomain yet.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,