The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #1
mjm0103

Trans Cooler Line question

I don't profess to be much of a mechanic, but intend to learn as I go. So I apologize if the question sounds stupid.

I have a 69 Chevy C10, 350 w/ air. From the radiator are copper lines which I assume are for cooling the transmission. One of the lines (solid copper) leaves the radiator and ends up connected underneath the engine to a round unit (about 4" in diameter). The other copper line comes off the radiator where it connects into a rubber hose, then the rubber hose connects into the same round unit the solid copper connected into.

The rubber hose is old and leaking, so I'm going to replace it which is what caused me to have all these questions.

If these are the trans. cooling lines, shouldn't they head directly back to the transmission area? There are copper lines coming "out" of this unit that head back to the transmission.

Is the round unit a "pump" of some sort? If not, what is it? I've been scouring the internet looking for a schematic diagram or photograph of this area with no luck in hopes of determining what this unit is.

I have the Haynes manual, but it was no help.

Thanks
mjm0103
mjm0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
wibilly

Re: Trans Cooler Line question

it sounds like a aftermarket trannie cooler to me. i'm not a fan of rubber hose on them but if you use it it should not be fuel line but hose made for tranny lines or power stearing. i like to put a little bit of a flair on the line and use two clamps for a little extra security
Old 04-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Trans Cooler Line question

Don't use copper in you lines either. Copper will work harden and crack. Use steel and proper rubber cooler hose like wibilly said if you must run rubber. I never run rubber if I can help it.