The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
Jondotcom

Why does "no rust" "rust free" and "surface rust"= rusted beyond repair?

So as you can tell from my post count I'm fairly new here and I've been trying over the last few weeks to find a truck worthy of restoration. Is it just me, or does "no rust" or "surface rust" always mean holes in the floorboards?

The truck I looked at last night was described as having minor surface rust, while the lower 6" of the fender had literally rusted off. When you opened the door, you could see through the threshhold, and at the bottoms of the kick panels the metal was gone!

I was about to look at another "no rust" truck today, but after some prodding to have the seller look at some target areas (lower door, threshhold, kick panel and floorboard at carpet edge), as soon as I heard "minor bubbling" I knew it was over.

I'm really getting discouraged. Are all 1967-1972 C10/ C20s going to have more than surface rust in the cab? I'm so stinking disappointed right now

Last edited by Jondotcom; 04-12-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Jondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Re: Why does "no rust" "rust free" and "surface rust"= rusted beyond repair?

Pretty much, if you find one without rust it must be a "virgin".
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
JTK20

Yeah you can almost never trust any description that says "surface ruist", "rust free", "minor rust", "minimal rust", etc. When I was younger some rich guy inherited his dad's 87 Chevy 4x4 and I was in contact with him for a day or 2 before I decided to drive an hour to look at it. He said there was just a little bit of rust on the front fenders, and that was it. When I got down there, the front fenders were almost gone and the doors looked like they would fall apart if I closed them too hard.

A couple days ago I called/emailed a guy about a truck he had on Craigslist. The ad contained pictures of a brown truck about 30-40 feet away (yeah, like you're going to see rust in those pictures ). He said there was hardly any rust on the truck, so I asked him for more photos and he agreed to send them the next day. Now mind you, this was an older gentleman and very friendly, and he took excellent pictures. However, when I got them, the first line said "there was a little more rust than I remembered, but it's not too bad". Basically the back half of the rear wheelwells were missing, the underside of the bed looked horrible, the bottom of the back panel of the cab was gone, both cab corners were gone, and the front fenders (inner and outer) were beyond any sort of repair. When I told him I would pass, he said "digital pictures can be deceiving". Yeah, right.
JTK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Wink Re: Why does "no rust" "rust free" and "surface rust"= rusted beyond repair?

67 to 72 truck's RUST , depending on where you live it may be better or worse , here in southrust virginia where I live they didn't just rust they literally DESINTEGRATED !!!!!!!!!!!! I mean the darn thing's rusted to the door handle's ,, finding a truck that was bought new in virginia and stayed here in good shape ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it ain't happening !!!!!!
I have had these truck's all my life and just worked with the rusted junk from around here till about 10 year's ago and I just said the heck with it !!
I kept a 1967 c10 in the back of my head all the while and last fall was down in knoxville tenn when I found a gem of a 1967 short fleet c10 !!
had to pay more than I wanted but it's now mine ,,,,,
anyway look in states without coal truck's that is what caused the problem's here , on the net on ebay once in a great while you will see a good 67 to 72 truck for sale , I have looked on ebay for them for year's and would say that maybe 1/2 dozen of them a year pop up , hundred's upon hundred's of rusted junk , take your time ,,, hope you find a good one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Jondotcom

Yeah, these have been craigslist trucks. Actually the first truck I looked at wasn't bad rust-wise, but the fact he cut the dash for a bigger stereo and that he "accidentally" loaded it up with 4500 lbs of concrete from a backhoe didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling either .
Old 04-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
jerry moss
Born Psycho

i had a guy bring a 69 CST/20 that had "a little rust" that he wanted to sell me. after looking it over for a couple seconds it was obvious he had his statement backwards, it had very little metal that wasn't rusted. i told him i wasn't interested in buying in it--he wanted $200.00 minus the big block, i ended up buying it WITH the running big block for 200 bucks. pulled the motor and trans and towed the rest to the wrecking yard. a lot of people have different opinions on "RUST".
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
GREASEMONKEY72

rust is a powerfull thing......

to many people under estimate rust and you get what you think is minor and ends up being a rolling pile of rust ready for the boneyard in the sky where it can run around rust free and happy and no longer in its misary

(hey my 1000 post )

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #8
cstm68

if it says no rust and you see no rust that there is rust under bondo!
thats how my rockers were i started sanding alittle and then it just fell appart and i had no rockers. well i did, but they were chunks of bondo on the garage floor
Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
i had a guy bring a 69 CST/20 that had "a little rust" that he wanted to sell me. after looking it over for a couple seconds it was obvious he had his statement backwards, it had very little metal that wasn't rusted. i told him i wasn't interested in buying in it--he wanted $200.00 minus the big block, i ended up buying it WITH the running big block for 200 bucks. pulled the motor and trans and towed the rest to the wrecking yard. a lot of people have different opinions on "RUST".
That's a shame, did you atleast strip the interior and everything else first?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
The Hard Way

I see that you're in the Bay Area, why don't you give Vintage Chevy Truck Parts a call? Bill's a site supporter and he's in Fremont. I bought a cab from him after I discovered my rockers, inner rockers, and just about every other panel in my cab was toast.
The Hard Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 AM   #11
ks147j111928
ASE Certified Spoon Operator

at least this guy is up front about the actual rusted areas (everywhere):
would be worth it for the BB, AC, PS and PB...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...QQcmdZViewItem
I'd keep the bullet hole in the dash, adds character!
85 4Runner, the wheeler on 38s
92 x-cab truggy project for 2017... tons and 42s and V8 power
ks147j111928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 AM   #12
Jondotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hard Way View Post
I see that you're in the Bay Area, why don't you give Vintage Chevy Truck Parts a call? Bill's a site supporter and he's in Fremont. I bought a cab from him after I discovered my rockers, inner rockers, and just about every other panel in my cab was toast.
Thanks, will do. I'm actually in Fremont too.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #13
Bob B.

My '67 really did have just surface rust on it when I bought it. Wasn't much of the original paint left on it, but it wasn't hiding anything either. My hood was pitted bad enough that I replaced it. But, the door bottoms, cab corners, cowl, front fender and bed were fine. As a former Mopar restorer/enthusiast (O.K., I will admit I still like them!) I know all about rust.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I like the 99% rustfree claims.1% could be a hole rusted through the body for 1" all the way around the bottom.Figure a truck with rusted cab corners,rockers,supports,door corners,cowl,kick panel/floor area,bedfloor at rear crossmember,core support corner,right fender cup,front edge of inner fenders,and wheel arches is better than 90% rustfree.
I`ve found rustfree trucks in every part of the country.It all depends on exposure to the eminant threat.
I don`t go by anyone`s description on rust.I use it to decide on going to look or not,after asking "my" questions and getting those answers.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #15
Rokcrln

Just find the best one you can and have the rest repaired!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #16
jb4short
Damn Yankee

rust is good....LOL
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #17
STP67-72

The word RUST FREE is about like the word CLEAN. The word clean has several definitions. I have looked at several clean rust free trucks. JUNK I drove about five hours to look at the cleanest truck in East Texas years ago, and it had sheetmetal pop riveted on the kick panels. That was one of the best trips yet.
Don't get in a hurry and start under truck and work your way up. GOOD LUCK
68 Chevy swb fleet (Lola)
68 Chevy swb fleet
71 Chevy swb fleet ( future PB project)

97 crew cab power stroke
07 SS Trail blazer
STP67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I like,"The top 1/2`s solid."Or,"It`s got good glass."

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #19
DUD2STUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by STP67-72 View Post
The word RUST FREE is about like the word CLEAN. The word clean has several definitions.
Ya as in I just cleaned it
DUD2STUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondotcom View Post
Are all 1967-1972 C10/ C20s going to have more than surface rust in the cab?
Unless it's been previously restored and done well, 95% of original trucks will have holes in at least the rockers. You're in a good area to find a nice truck, keep looking. Just be happy you don't live in the "rust belt."
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #21
sleepyboy
'69 Step

My "rust free truck" required a whole new floor, rockers, cab supports front and back, and cowl peices.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #22
fosheec

I took pictures of my rockers and posted them on my ad to substantiate my "no rust" claims. But, like everyone else said, most rust claims are far from accurate.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #23
neonlarry

I have always looked upon ads that say 'rust free' as just that, the rust is free.
If they have to mention rust at all there is more than you want to fix.

With you being in the bay area you should be able to find plenty of trucks without 'any rust'. Just keep looking.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #24
edmonton72
Nothings as cool as my 72

Up here in Canada where it's winter 8 months of the year, a rust free truck that has been driven for most of it's life is rarer then hens teeth. At least the guy I bought my truck from gave me new rocker panels for it. To bad it needed a lot more then that. The floor was so bad you could punch holes through it with your bare fist.
Rolling chassis finally done and cab mounted. Now onto sanding, bondo and more sanding.
edmonton72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #25
sighlurr

Jon - Do not get discouraged. It takes a little time, but true "rust-free" trucks still exist in NorCal. We are spoiled with nice weather here and these are still out there. You may want to start looking a little further north on Craigslist for survivors. If you PM me, or just reply in this thread for exactly what you're looking for, I can start keeping an eye out. Just a few months back a lady up here was selling her father's 72 - all orginal and dry. That went to a board member in southern CA.

When you call on these trucks, just ask the same question over and over, maybe in different ways.

Let me know what you want, we'll find you something soon!
sighlurr is offline   Reply With Quote