The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
KMK454

Long term storage?

Some things are switching up with the job and I'll probably be getting orders cut to go to 4th brigade of the 3rd Infantry Divison, a unit that deploys to Iraq at the end of July for at least 15 months. This will be my first deployment...

I was just wondering if anyone here has stored their truck for a long time. I've heard of things like disconnect the battery, put fuel stabilizer in, take off the wheels, and keep it on jack stands...

My other idea was to store it in my dad's garage and his payment be 50-100 miles a month on the truck so as to keep everything "fresh" and "alive" in the truck's internals. I know he loves the ol' truck... so he might be interested.

I know July is a long way off, but I'd like to start getting things lined up well in advance... any advice on what the best course of action is?

PS - Hoping to make the May show in Maggie Valley, NC, as kind of a last hurrah!
1991 Camaro B4C

Last edited by KMK454; 04-13-2007 at 01:21 PM.
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
heavychevy78

Re: Long term storage?

Well well a fellow 3d ID in the house. Nice. Well here is my advice get someone you know and trust to watch your truck. The last time I deployed I left my 68 in storage and it cost me a fortune to get her right again. Old trucks just dont like to sit. If you do have to put it in storage do all the things you mentioned and look into a good storage lot away from post. All the ones around post (ft stewart) are just open fields with fences. Hope this helps.

SSG Ahlheim
3d Sig Co, STB
3d Infantry Division
heavychevy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Here is what I do...

- Wash/wax and clean entire vehicle, inside and out (as if you were going to a car show)
- Flip sunvisors down, place dryer sheets under and behind the seat(s)...deters rodents...and doesn't smell like moth balls do
- Change the oil, top off all fluids
- Fill up gas tank, add stabilizer
- Disconnect battery, remove all together if climate is cold during storage and place somewhere warm
- Use a good quality car cover
- Jack up vehicle and place on stands (prevents flat spotting the tires)
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Zilverado
Account Suspended

No specific advice on the storage thing, but just wanted to say thanks (to all of you) for your service - - from a fellow North American!

God Bless and come home safe.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

I would go with your Dad , when I was in the Navy and had to Deploy I had my better half take my truck out on the weekends to keep it alive, like others have said change the oil and top off all the fluids and she'll be good to go.Be safe over there and GodSpeed.
John
Naval Air
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I put Sta-bil fuel stabilizer in the tank of our old '67 Camaro RS, and then ran it long enough to get the stabilizer into the carb. After 5 or 6 years of storage without being started, we moved it to my FIL's house on a flatbed.

He put a new battery in it out in the driveway, but didn't have anyone to help him push it in the garage. Figuring he had nothing to lose, he poured a little gas in the carb, and turned the key. It started right up, and he drove it into the garage.

I recommend Sta-bil.

Slonaker