The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2002, 03:08 PM   #1
Eagle1

Timing mark inch away from tab

I have a 77 truck that is basicly stock and i had a leak behind the intake maifold so i had to take everything off the manifold. When I went to set the timing I started at 8 btc then when more, but now i am about and inch from the timing tab and it is not pinging i want to go more but im hitting the manifold. Which way would I reseat the rotor to get more advance counter clockwise or clockwise.
This is a HEI dist.
Thanks Eagle
Old 09-07-2002, 03:44 PM   #2
Zkast
Account Suspended

If you cant rotate the distributor (counterclockwise) anymore, then you will need to lift the distributor 1 inch then rotate the rotor clockwise one tooth then recheck. Depending on how far you have it out, your might need 2 teeth.

As I general rule I prefer to bump the engine over until the rotor is pointing directly to the front (right at me), This is your baseline incase you over rotate the rotor or forget where you where.

Make sure your mechanical (centrifigal advance) is working and the vacuum advance is ok.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote