The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
68Stepbed

Cutting coils

This seems to be an interesting topic lately. I went to PF last night to go cruising aand look at some other trucks. Most of them I looked at were lowered and made mine look like a 4wd. I've decided to cut my coils. My main question is how do I get them out? I have a basic idea since I have removed them from my 68. Is it the same process?

Thanks in advance.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system

Last edited by 68Stepbed; 04-20-2007 at 08:34 AM.
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Re: Cutting coils

When I removed mine (not to cut them), I jacked up the front - under the lower control arm, and supported the frame on jack stands. I used a spring compressor (the kind that slides up inside the spring) to compress it as much as possible. I broke the lower ball joint loose. Then while supporting the vehicle by the frame I lowered the jack to allow the LCA to swing down. From there, pry the spring out.

This is a very high-level desscription of the concept. There are details that I can't remember, and did not include, but the process is there.

A couple of things to think about...

1) Some guys do not use a spring compressor at all, but this can be tricky and dangerous. There is alot of potential energy in these coils, and an uncontrolled release of this energy can do damage. What ever method you choose make sure you rope or chain the spring to the frame before lowering the LCA. This will keep the spring from jumping out at you as the LCA comes down.

2) I believe in my case I actually popped the upper ball joint as well to completely remove the steering knuckle/spindle assembly. This makes removing the coil a little easier.

Have fun man - and BE CAREFULL!
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
blazer2007

Re: Cutting coils

I didn,t use spring compresser,I took sway bar off a-arm and shock and poped ball joint loose and I could push on the lower a-arm enough to get spring out.Have a jack under a-arm so you can slowly lower a-arm to releive pressure slowly
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote