The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
neverfinished

No sir that's the right part number

Well this morning was fun. I got my new window regulator yesterday and set aside time to install it this morning. I figured it would be about an hour job mostly pulling everything off the door then gliding the old regulator out and the new one in. I was wrong. I got the door stripped down and started unbolting the regulator. My plan was to get the regulator loose then slide everything to the side to get the rollers out of the window rail. As I pulled the third screw out of the regulator, it very quickly turned 90 degrees pulling the bottom roller out of the door and wedging itself between the inner door and the front window support. I tried to roll the regulator open or closed to see if the arms would bring it back to center but I found out exactly why the regulator was acting up in the first place. The two sets of gears weren't engaging so when I pulled the third screw all the tension on the spring let go and everything pivoted around that last screw. I started trying to work the regulator out of the door squeezing the arms together the best that I could and trying every angle imaginable to get it out of the door. 45 minutes later I had it out laying next to the new regulator. Something didn't look right, I checked the tag on the bag that the regulator came in then checked my receipt then made a phone call which pretty much ended with "No sir that's the right part number, we don't have anything else listed for a '73". The rollers on the new regulator were noticeably larger than the ones on the old unit. Just to see if maybe it did fit I slid the new regulator in (much easier than getting the broken one out) and tried fitting the rollers into the window frame. Nope, they were too big. So I tried the roller on the door, that's weird it fit. I pulled everything out again and went to work. One grinder, a couple of nuts and bolts and 20 minutes later the new regulator had two smaller rollers installed. I tested it a few times before I put it in the truck to make sure the nuts weren't going to bind on anything then went to work putting the new regulator in. It took a whole 5 minutes or so to put the rollers into the frames and bolt the regulator in. Why couldn't the whole process have been this easy. I got out the grease gun, made a mess inside the door, tested the window a few more times then put everything back together. Just a warning to those with broken regulators, be ready for the spring to let go on you when you're taking it out, my heart skipped a beat and either I have newer window frames or the regulator I bought isn't exactly a bolt in replacement.
neverfinished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: No sir that's the right part number

That gets a lot of people going thru the GM service manual on my 83 on windows it states these 16 steps, but i'll only highlight the most important.

7. Slide regulator assembly rearward, disengaging rollers from sash channel
A notch is provided in the sash channel to allow disengagement of the for
ward roller on the window regulator (fig. 2D-32).
8. Remove regulator assembly through access hole in door.

CAUTION: Step 9 must be performed when regulator is removed from door.
The regulator lift arms are under tension from the counterbalance spring
and can cause serious injury if the motor is removed without locking the
sector gear in position

9. Drill a hole through the regulator sector gear and back plate. DO NOT drill
hole closer than 1/2" (12.7mm) to edge of sector gear or back plate.
Install a pan head sheet metal tapping screw(No.10-12x3/4) in drilled hole
to lock sector gear in position
10. Remove motor to regulator attaching screws.
11. Remove motor from regulator.

the rest deals with ensuring the motor pinion gear teeth mesh properley with the sector gear teeth and lubrication.
Hope this helps with future projects for anybody planning any repairs on the doors.
John
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
Lated

I replaced the regulator in the drivers side door of my '70 last year with a regulator I bought from Chevy Duty. I didn't have any problems with it at all. Last month I broke the door latch on the passanger side and figured while I was at it I'd replace the regulator too. Since I hadn't had any problems with the first from Chevy Duty, now Classic Parts, I ordered one for the passanger side from them. Install went fine until I went to put the window crank back on. The crank handle won't go on far enough to put the retaining clip back on. At first I thought it might be the crank handle so I pulled the one off of the driver side door but it wouldn't fit either. All I can figure is there is something not quite right about the teeth. The handle does go on far enough to operate the window but now the handle is in the glove box instead of on the door where it should be. I wish I had checked it out before I put it in the door but it's too late now. I'm not about to go through the hassle of pulling it out, putting the old one back in, and returning it. I was already planning on putting power windows in eventually anyway and I don't ever ride on the passanger side. I've never had any problems with anything I've ordered from Chevy Duty/Classic Parts before and most likely will again. I'll just make sure to check the part out before installing it next time.

Sorry for heading off on my own tangent with your thread but wasn't trig. everyones favorite subject in school?:hj:

'70 SWB Step-Side (More rust than metal)
Lated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The trick is to drill a hole in the serated plate and the bracket and put a bolt through the holes, that way the spring does not move when you take the regulator motor off. Just like malo83 says. It works great, done it a lot of times.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote