The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Litemup
Steel Horse Cowboy

Need possible phone help (Booster/Master cylinder install probs)

I have a 68 GMC that I'm trying to install the power front disc conversion on. I bought the booster from ECE and the disc brake conversion kit from them as well. We have the everything installed except the booster/master and have run into a problem. The pushrod inbetween the master and the booster is to short. The pushrod is rounded at one end and not at the other, if you insert it in the master it goes all the way in and has very little sticking out, when you insert it in the booster, its the same thing the rod goes almost all the way in the booster with very little sticking out, for sure not enough to make it into the master.

I'm wondering if we're missing a peice or possibly have the wrong one, or if maybe the booster will push the rod out once vacumm is applied, in either case I have no idea what to do and don't want to go ahead with the install untill I know what's going. I can post pics if needed.

It seems to me that if I buy a master and a booster from the same company that only deals with these years of trucks I should get the right parts, I'm thinking I'm missing a part.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by Litemup; 04-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
65-72 chevytoys

Re: Need possible phone help (Booster/Master cylinder install probs)

Try adjusting the push rod that goes between the pedal and the MC piston. There is a jamb nut on it and then you can adjust it longer by unscrewing the rod. I had the same problem once before.
2004 Corvette Z16 #770
Wish I had not sold 72 blazer
65-72 chevytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Olden Days
Living In The Past

I just bought a booster and master cyl for disc. The booster has a very short push rod and the master cyl has a just a dished out spot to receive it. On the old drum ones the booster had a long pushrod that stuck out and the master cyl had a deep hole to receive it. here is a couple pics of the new one. in other words I believe you got the wrong master cylinder. notice the master cyl does not have a deep hole at all
I think that push rod just pulls out. Maybe ece could send you a longer one.
Attached Images

Last edited by Olden Days; 04-22-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
Litemup
Steel Horse Cowboy

That may be the case olden days, my pushrod looks exactly like the way yours does in the booster, although my booster is different the position of the rod inside the booster is the same. The position of the piston on the MC looks very different, mine is much deeper insinde the bore of the MC, there is definetly a mix up here, I'm not sure how a company that deals with only these trucks can mix this up.

I'm also having sever brake line problems from so-called computerized pre-bent lines, I think I may have to cut my losses and make my own, I feel lucky to have such a big aftermarket but I'm beggining to think maybe that have'nt spent enough time on fittament.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote